Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.7%
It's kind of a let down
34%
It's trash
8.4%
It's good for the price
23.3%
It helped me pick a new body
7.6%

191 voters, 262 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 06, 2018 21:36 |  #271

Dlee13 wrote in post #18702112 (external link)
As I don't know much about video, something confuses me.

I seen a lot of reviews of the A7III say that it's video is better in super 35 mode. Now that has a 1.6x crop so I don't get what the big issue is around Canon cropping their FF video (aside from the lens issues)?

I can assure you the video quality is very good in FF mode and yes the crop mode is a bit better... more so on the R3 vs the 73 just because the MP size of the sensor but both are very good and at least it's possible to do the FF 4k option.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 06, 2018 21:37 |  #272

patrick j wrote in post #18702108 (external link)
A few months ago I said somewhere in one of these forums, probably at the introduction of the 6D Mk 2, that instead of worrying about losing sales from one of their camera lines to a different line and deliberately crippling certain cameras (like not improving the sensor in the 6D in 5 years), they should worry about losing sales to other camera manufacturers. To me this looks like they've stepped up in the department quite a bit, I'm not down on this camera at all, looks good to me, maybe because a few of the bigger complaints don't really apply to things I shoot (fps, 4k). Otherwise, with a 30 megapixel sensor that appears to be at least in line with the 5d MK IV, seems to be a lot to like in this one.

They wowed us with the lenses. They know their strong part... and they provided. I mean albiet heavy a friggin F2 zoom 28-70. That sounds like a sigma lens lol.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 06, 2018 21:39 |  #273

Wilt wrote in post #18702139 (external link)
...and one does not need to be a big game or wildlife shooter to fall into this specific style of shooting. One merely has to be a photographer at an athletic event, and the EVF will be operating for the full time that you are capturing action. Or be at an airshow. Or shooting the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Well not sure why or how but the R3 and the wifes 73 offer multi day performance on one battery. The battery life on the sony's match what I was getting on the 5D4/5D3. Regardless how much viewfinder time I was giving. I literally treat it just like any SLR I've ever had before in regards to battery life.

My Gear Archive

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,117 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 06, 2018 21:56 |  #274

Dlee13 wrote in post #18702112 (external link)
As I don't know much about video, something confuses me.

I seen a lot of reviews of the A7III say that it's video is better in super 35 mode. Now that has a 1.6x crop so I don't get what the big issue is around Canon cropping their FF video (aside from the lens issues)?

I think is wrong, the A7iii is better in FF mode since it downsamples from 6K.
The R3 the the one with binning however in practice, hard to tell, both are good.

The issue with Canon is that you can't shoot in FF and 4K. It's a huge deal, especially if you shoot primes.

Consider you are out with just your 35. 16 x9 AR puts you at 45mm, 1.7 more and you're nearly 80mm, making it nearly unusable. Sony on the other hand, does clear image zoom + crop mode gives you options from 45-120mm with a simple 35mm.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.

Sep 06, 2018 22:02 |  #275

I wouldn't want to be looking at the EVF for hours at a time, because I find it harder to look at an emissive screen vs an optical view, eye strain happens sooner. Much like looking at an LCD tablet for hours vs a Kindle e-ink screen, one is much easier on the eyes than the other. But the EVF does look like it is very nice indeed. I would love the manual focusing zoom mode for macros...

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,222 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 06, 2018 22:05 |  #276

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18701963 (external link)
The problem is that the next one that's coming is already mostly developed and probably really is the A7-III killer. It will be as good or better spec-wise and will (obviously) have Canon's color science. My bet is we'll see it inside 3-6 months.

But Canon will boot it at us at $3599 which is totally ridiculous given the bar set by Sony. The fanboys and pros will eat it up and meanwhile, those of us that don't make a living with our cameras are once again left out in the cold waiting 12 months for prices to drop to a reasonable level, even on the gray market.

Meanwhile, Sony releases Gen 4. Rinse and repeat. It's a vicious cycle. vmad

THIS should have been FULLY that camera and it should have been at a $2k pricepoint and yet here we are. Welcome to the World of Canon.

So true. What I see most from many Canon user that have never really looked at/considered Sony is “Why is this always compared to the A7iii? Just wait on the next [Better] one”. It’s compared to the A7iii due to price point, and the fact that the A7iii is Sony’s lowest tier ENTRY LEVEL body. The next (hopefully good) Canon R series camera that will actually be usable for sports will probably be over $3k as you said.

To those of you who are Canon shooters, wondering why all of the Sony users are here... this R series is what many of us , myself included, were waiting on for the last few years. I waited through 3 full generations of Sonys before I switched, hoping Canon would release a real competitor. Once the A7iii came out and bested my 5D3 in pretty much every aspect for a fraction of the price, I was done waiting. I knew Canon would never make a ~$2k body with those specs as their entry level camera. Heck, if Canon had made something that only matched the A7iii at $3k before I finally gave in and bought it 5 months ago, I’d have bought it and not switched. As it is, Canon and Nikon have both released lesser cameras as direct competitors, at the same or even higher price point. If the EOS R was ~$1600, then I’d think it was pretty fine for its intended buyer, but since it’s more than a Sony A7iii + MC-11, and the same as the A7iii + MB V, then it’s kind of a wash since you can successfully adapt EF to either with similar performance. My only real gripe with my A7iii and MB V is that I get a performance hit in continuous AF w/tracking and I’m reduced to 3 fps.... same the as the native lenses on EOS-R. So that’s a wash.
I’d really love to be able to use my 300 2.8 IS for sports on a mirrorless body, but for now I’ll just hang on to the 7D2.

GEAR LIST

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Sep 06, 2018 22:08 |  #277

We have to remember that this EOS R was in R&D and then production and into the hands of a few key photographers likely before Sony announced the A73. So of course it will be behind just about anything currently out there. You cannot simply go back to the design board and redesign when you have production to ramp up for, parts acquisitions, and assembly schedules.

Of course it won't meet the A73, nobody should have expected that. That is not how product development works. However, each manufacturer bringing something unique to the table each release is what competition and leap-frogging is all about, so I am sure the next models from Canon will fill many of these gaps and possibly give us some new feature to consider.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,929 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by umphotography. (3 edits in all)

Sep 06, 2018 22:17 |  #278

I have great cameras

so they need something to match the A9 or I dont need to buy

If they dont do it exactly what have i or any of you lost ??

I will not jump to Sony because I am not going to buy Sony glass and deal with 2 systems

Canon will put out a mirrorless for pros and my canon existing glass will work seamlessly

or

I will stay with what I have....it works great

Im only looking to replace a high count 5D3 so no rush.

remember this

There is nothing an A9 does that a 1Dx2 cant do or the 1Dx2 does better than the A9

prove me wrong. I doubt anyone can

A canon mirrorless will only be an alternative for the 5D line up. I doubt anything mirrorless will come close to 1Dx2 performance

so dont sweat the small stuff. What we all currently have works great

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,766 posts
Gallery: 347 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 06, 2018 22:18 |  #279

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18702167 (external link)
We have to remember that this EOS R was in R&D and then production and into the hands of a few key photographers likely before Sony announced the A73. So of course it will be behind just about anything currently out there. You cannot simply go back to the design board and redesign when you have production to ramp up for, parts acquisitions, and assembly schedules.

Of course it won't meet the A73, nobody should have expected that. That is not how product development works. However, each manufacturer bringing something unique to the table each release is what competition and leap-frogging is all about, so I am sure the next models from Canon will fill many of these gaps and possibly give us some new feature to consider.

You hit the nail on the head on all points here. I think Canon has some really good innovation in here. It all kind of reminds me of the smartphone market. The pass each other back and forth, randomly picking up features the other came up with first. I think the EOS R came in pretty nice. I agree it would be better positioned at $1999. Hopefully the market will drive it down there.

Seeing these innovations (the ring function and the slider on the back for a few) and such, I'm excited to see what they bring in a top of the line version.

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R
Donate for Forum Costs

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,244 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 06, 2018 22:24 |  #280

Talley wrote in post #18702142 (external link)
I can assure you the video quality is very good in FF mode and yes the crop mode is a bit better... more so on the R3 vs the 73 just because the MP size of the sensor but both are very good and at least it's possible to do the FF 4k option.

Yeah I remember hearing crop had the slight edge but the FF was still a good option.

Charlie wrote in post #18702156 (external link)
The R3 the the one with binning however in practice, hard to tell, both are good.

The issue with Canon is that you can't shoot in FF and 4K. It's a huge deal, especially if you shoot primes.

Consider you are out with just your 35. 16 x9 AR puts you at 45mm, 1.7 more and you're nearly 80mm, making it nearly unusable. Sony on the other hand, does clear image zoom + crop mode gives you options from 45-120mm with a simple 35mm.

Yeah I personally don't like crop bodies for that reason so I understand the dislike for the crop when it comes to the lens factor. Makes more sense to me but the way Canon justifies it makes sense too.

Sony Alpha A7III - Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,929 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 06, 2018 22:25 |  #281

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18702102 (external link)
This is wishful thinking.

However, I very much doubt that the next Canon FF mirrorless model will really give us everything that the Sonys give us.

I guarantee that Canon will leave something out. They won't give us everything that we really want/ned because they will be too worried about protecting their pro video camera line, or their flagship DSLR. That's what they always seem to do - hold something back, so that we never get everything we want in one camera body.

Even if they put almost all of the features in that we've been asking for, would they withhold an articulating screen? IBIS? FF 4k?

Their marketing department keeps telling us how incredible their cameras are, and yet every single new body has something that turns up missing.

Im surprised to hear you say that sony gives us so much

exactly what does sony give you that a 1DX2 cant match/

heck a 5D4 is batter than the A7iii

so what are you missing for the way you shoot ?

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,134 posts
Joined May 2004

Sep 06, 2018 22:37 |  #282

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18700852 (external link)
the touch controls could really be a game changer.

The thing that most often makes a difference between getting a the picture or not, day in and day out, is often control of the camera. The ability to customize controls on this camera appear to be amazing. I'd want it just for that.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.

Sep 06, 2018 22:43 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #283

Well the A73 does have over the 5D4:

- USB 3.1
- 10fps
- Slightly better DR
- IBIS
- Eye AF
- Can use a myriad of other lenses, Canon, Sony and other lenses
- Real time viewing of exposure in the viewfinder
- Silent shooting
- Supports UHS II cards
- Price
- Tilt screen

5D4 has:

- More resolution
- Faster startup
- Better rear screen
- Built in GPS
- Top display
- Possibly longer battery life
- Better menu structure, possibly better ergonomics for many

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,800 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by davesrose. (2 edits in all)

Sep 06, 2018 22:45 |  #284

Charlie wrote in post #18702156 (external link)

Videographers say Super-35 is better (which is 1.5 crop on the A7iii), because it has less rolling shutter and image quality isn’t much different in practice. Also because of the difference in aspect ratios, they’ve noticed FF has a slight stretched vertical distortion.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

elitejp
Goldmember
1,766 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 06, 2018 22:53 |  #285

Wow, just take the names off those two cameras and then say choose which one you want.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

sponsored links

152,282 views & 1,661 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.