Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk 
Thread started 01 Oct 2018 (Monday) 14:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please Help - Need RAW Real Estate Images

SandiC7
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2018

Oct 01, 2018 14:06 |  #1

I have been a stay at home mom for many years, but I was a web designer and professional scrapbooker and have also trained in Graphic Design, so I am fluent in Photoshop and general photo editing.

I now desperately need a job and would love to do Real Estate photo editing, but I have not used Lightroom yet.

I am not a photographer, so I would be so grateful if I could get some RAW photos from real estate photographers.

Would anyone be willing to let me use their RAW real estate photos, as many as I can get, so I can practice editing and also show that I know what I'm doing for employment?

Please let me know.... Thanks!

(I think I posted in the wrong forum earlier and it wouldn't let me delete it.)

sponsored links
Nogo
I could have been worse....
7,057 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited 17 days ago by Nogo.

Oct 01, 2018 14:13 |  #2

I am not a real estate photographer so I have no images to share. Just letting you know how to handle miss posted topics.

Under your name in the left hand corner is a link named "Report." Click this link and there will be a drop down menu. Under the reasons to report a post will be an option that says posted in wrong forum. Click on that and give an explanation. The mods will do the rest.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

SandiC7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2018

Oct 02, 2018 10:00 |  #3

Ok so let me ask.... Is there a reason nobody shares RAW real estate images for others to edit? Is there somewhere else I can get some?

I wish I could take some, but I don't have a good camera and I don't really know how to frame real estate photos, and I need to start making income.

I would credit you on any photos I would put on an editing portfolio... I only want to edit.

I need to show I can edit for shadows, window reflections, fireplaces, sky replacement... just anything. I need RAW images to be able to use Lightroom and adjust for lighting/balance, etc.

I can give you a link to my graphic design portfolio if it would help, although it is limited which is why I can't find work with just graphic design.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,034 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Oct 03, 2018 22:44 |  #4

I think that many of the people who have suitable RAW images are professional RE shooters working for clients. They/their clients don't want their images appearing elsewhere.

Hopefully someone will come along with some less important images they are willing to share.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

SandiC7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2018

Oct 04, 2018 12:01 |  #5

I guess that makes sense, although I'm just wanting house interiors/exteriors, pools, rooms with windows, etc. so I don't think anyone would know exactly where these homes are located. Generic in other words I guess, nothing extra special. No addresses shown or anything.

But thank you for letting me know!

joooowan
691 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 04, 2018 17:32 |  #6

I have a folder on my dropbox with raw files I send to photo editors for testing, It has a few different images of different types of houses in them. Send me a private msg and I'll send you the link.

*just don't advertise that you shot it.

CC welcome.

SandiC7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2018

Oct 05, 2018 10:12 as a reply to  @ joooowan's post |  #7

I can't send a PM yet... after I post 20 times I can, so I'll do that! Thanks! (I would never take credit for the photos... I am an artist too... scrapbook, web design).

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,902 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 05, 2018 10:43 |  #8

Curious what your level of experience is with photo editing. Do you know what luminance masking, tone mapping, and HDR mean?

Are you good with layers and masks?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

SandiC7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2018

Oct 05, 2018 10:52 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #9

I'm not experienced yet... I'm learning. I'm most familiar with levels, color balance, color replacement, exposure adjustments (in Photoshop), and yes, layers and masks. Mostly taking things out of the background of photos with masking or cloning. I have only watched some tutorials on Lightroom, but I haven't used it yet. Was wanting some RAW real estate photos from someone who knows how to take them. I feel like if I use some that weren't taken correctly in the first place (if I do it)... they'll never look good when editing. Hope that makes sense.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 05, 2018 10:56 |  #10

SandiC7 wrote in post #18720110 (external link)
...I was a web designer and professional scrapbooker and have also trained in Graphic Design, so I am fluent in Photoshop and general photo editing.

SandiC7 wrote in post #18722796 (external link)
I'm not experienced yet... I'm learning.

A bit of a contradiction.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

SandiC7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2018
Post edited 13 days ago by SandiC7.

Oct 05, 2018 11:00 as a reply to  @ john crossley's post |  #11

I meant I am experienced in Photoshop (Graphic Design - logos, web graphics, etc.) It's not just for photos.

Photo editing has been a hobby since I started scrapbooking years ago. So I wouldn't say I'm experienced in photo editing (lighting and exposure as related to real estate, etc.)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,902 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 05, 2018 11:20 as a reply to  @ SandiC7's post |  #12

If you haven't already, Google "flambient" A combination of flash and ambient.

Also Google window pull

Enfuse is a Lr plugin that some photogs use for blending bracketed exposures.

I've done some RE shooting on my own, and have recently tried to get into editing for others. I admit I haven't really given breaking into the market the attention it needs, but it's a tough nut to crack.

I've also done a lot of graphic design work. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't count on getting into RE editing without a lot of work. It is a very competitive space. Sticking with core competencies rather than branching out into all new areas is usually the fastest path to increased revenue. Again, just my opinion.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

SandiC7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2018

Oct 05, 2018 11:30 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #13

Thank you for the advice. I've seen a few job ads requesting RE editing, which is why I was looking into it.

Unfortunately, I think you are probably right.

I don't have the right degree or work portfolio for any one thing, it's very discouraging.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,902 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 05, 2018 12:09 as a reply to  @ SandiC7's post |  #14

I know where you're coming from, probably more than you might think.

I sent you a PM, see if you can send one back.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,491 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 05, 2018 12:27 |  #15

SandiC7 wrote in post #18722796 (external link)
I'm not experienced yet... I'm learning. I'm most familiar with levels, color balance, color replacement, exposure adjustments (in Photoshop), and yes, layers and masks. Mostly taking things out of the background of photos with masking or cloning. I have only watched some tutorials on Lightroom, but I haven't used it yet. Was wanting some RAW real estate photos from someone who knows how to take them. I feel like if I use some that weren't taken correctly in the first place (if I do it)... they'll never look good when editing. Hope that makes sense.

Your last statement makes a lot of sense: it's the "garbage in, garbage out" concept. It's good that you have a bit of a photographic eye. I am not a PS master either, but because I strive to get things right in camera, all I do in PS is minor adjustments and cloning out stuff, and final sharpening. I don't do frequency separations, HDR, or any of that. Most of the processing is done in CaptureOne.

I've done background replacements, and I've seen others do it. I clearly remember a photo where they replaced an overcast sky (I'm assuming they thought it gloomy) with a bright blue sky... only they forgot the building wasn't casting any shadows, and the whole picture looked wrong. Again, a bit of a photo eye is needed for editing.

Hopefully you'll get some good images to work on. I do have real estate photos, but as Mr Marchant mentioned above: my clients would freak out if I shared them.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links

298 views & 3 likes for this thread
Please Help - Need RAW Real Estate Images
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.