Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 03 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 20:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo management while traveling (long term)

krizas
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 03, 2018 20:03 |  #1

For the past trips I would take my Canon EOS, a few SD cards, shoot raw and review/organize/post-process images back home using Photoshop Lightroom. All my previous trips did not exceed 2-3 weeks and a couple of higher capacity SD cards were enough to fulfill storage needs.

This time I am planning to spend significantly more time (at least 3-6 months) on the road in Asia-Pacific. Sooner or later I will need to offload photos from SD cards to some other storage. I may also want to share some photos with others (do not want to give up ability to shoot raw, so this implies conversion to jpeg) and do at least some initial review / tagging while traveling. I do not plan to bring any mobile device larger than smartphone. Most of the time will rely on public wifi hotspots, some legs / weeks will be in remote places without any access to the Internet. This presents some challenges.

Currently I am evaluating these options:

A) External HDD

Pros: the cheapest option (actually would not cost anything as I have suitable drive already); Internet access is not needed;
Cons: provides just the storage; easily lost/damaged together with an entire archive;

B) Lightroom CC cloud storage

Pros: files are transfered to "safe" external location; ability to access, organize and share images from any connected device; ability to edit photos from any connected device; integration with Lightroom Classic and other software;
Cons: requires reliable net access; costs money;

C) general cloud storage (Dropbox, Goodle Drive etc.)

Pros: files are transfered to "safe" external location; ability to access, organize and share raw files from any connected device;
Cons: requires reliable net access; lower functionality compared to option B for similar cost;

At the moment I am leaning towards Lightroom CC due to extra features and flexibility, hoping I can find reasonably fast Internet connection every couple of weeks.

What other options may be worth considering?

sponsored links
samueli
960 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 19 days ago by samueli. (12 edits in all)

Oct 03, 2018 20:19 |  #2

I put a copy on my notebook HD, an external HD, upload everything as wireless is available, and maybe if I'm really paranoid, bring along some USB sticks. Folder names are "date_shortDescriptor" across the board. I don't care about organization as much as multiple backups. I have Digital Ocean VPS' for other purposes, so I FTP everything to one and copy between servers through SSH. Dropbox, etc. is similar without the syncing.

Editing/sharing and storage are two different subjects to me; I edit local and upload to whatever sharing medium as desired.

Slow format an external HD and run tests on it to burn it in or reveal a defect. I don't do SSDs for storage - except for the USB sticks, but they would be the least reliable and only used for paranoia.

If I where to be gone for months, I might even clone the notebook drive to have something to swap into at a hint of trouble, but I get a little overboard with things.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,301 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 04, 2018 06:33 |  #3

I don't know about Asia-Pacific, but in Europe the internet cafes have excellent facilities but do cost money. I've transferred images from card to external drives (your option 1) without any issues, and uploaded to a cloud depository (your option 2).

There is another option to the internet cafe and that is use of a local library. In Europe larger libraries have computers for use of the public. Sometimes you have to "join" but I've never had to pay to join, just some simple paperwork. I also use the library for computer access in the States.

krizas
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 04, 2018 10:54 |  #4

Thank you for your suggestions. Somehow it did not occur to me that I can use both external drive and cloud backup, which would give me the best of both worlds.

Yes, Europe is different story. With recent caps on roaming fees and further significant cuts planned in the future cellular mobile broadband becomes more and more feasible option here as well.

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 04, 2018 14:09 |  #5

I think it all depends on the value you put on the images. I would take a small laptop and external drive to edit, backup to external drive and cloud. If you don't have a laptop and are on a budget, I'm sure that a refurbished or used one can be found rather cheaply. Would you rather sit in an internet cafe doing these tasks or at your hotel room, pool or lobby doing it?

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

krizas
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 04, 2018 17:38 |  #6

Taking a laptop would be great. But I should have explained in the beginning that I plan to backpack most of the time and spend as much time in the tent in the wild as under the roof. Therefore gear I take with me must be as light, rugged and power efficient as possible. On the past shorter trips I used to take tablet, but found that smartphone fulfills all communication/navigati​on/information search needs, weights less than 200 g and I am able to charge it using solar. Given my preferred mode of travel it is difficult to justify extra weight of laptop in return for having larger display and full desktop experience. Would rather take extra lens instead. Yeah, these are the dilemmas of wanting to travel in a smart and digital way but be as independent from modern conveniences as possible.

My top priority need is to be able to deposit photos somewhere once SD cards get full, second priority -
to be able to share some photos with friends or family when I am back to civilization. Ability to lightly edit photos before sharing (e.g. adjusting exposure, WB, colors) and doing some initial management (if I am stuck somewhere and have time) from any device are nice to have features, but not the top priority.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,301 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 18 days ago by John from PA. (3 edits in all)

Oct 04, 2018 19:18 as a reply to  @ krizas's post |  #7

As far as your phone, are you using iOS or Android?

At least as far as Android, I believe with DSLR Controller you could direclty upload the images to the phone. Couple that with some of these large capacity microSD cards (in the phone) and perhaps that would be one copy.

It appears as though there is a version of DSLR Controller for iOs as well. See https://dslrcontroller​.com/ (external link)

Or this, https://www.imore.com …hotos-your-iphone-or-ipad (external link)

alex66
231 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 05, 2018 03:24 |  #8

If you are avoiding laptops due to weight there is the WD wireless storage device with a built in card reader, they now do a solid state drive version. You can via an app I think check the images on the drive as well and with the SSD its less prone to knocks. Getting somewhere with internet access where you could upload images would be good another alternative though more expensive would be to get a load of SD cards and once you have backed them up post them home recorded to a family member or friend. People have hacked the WD drive to swap drives, so you could send that to a safe space once filled also some old 'netbooks' are very small useless for running lightroom but don't take up much space and weigh about the same as an iPad if not less.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 05, 2018 03:30 |  #9

This should work for you

https://www.nextodi.co​m/products/nvs2801-plus/ (external link)

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 05, 2018 03:34 |  #10

alex66 wrote in post #18722635 (external link)
If you are avoiding laptops due to weight there is the WD wireless storage device with a built in card reader, they now do a solid state drive version. You can via an app I think check the images on the drive as well and with the SSD its less prone to knocks. Getting somewhere with internet access where you could upload images would be good another alternative though more expensive would be to get a load of SD cards and once you have backed them up post them home recorded to a family member or friend. People have hacked the WD drive to swap drives, so you could send that to a safe space once filled also some old 'netbooks' are very small useless for running lightroom but don't take up much space and weigh about the same as an iPad if not less.

I tried one of the WD units out. It was terribly slow and kind of a kluge

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,301 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 05, 2018 06:10 |  #11

Jethr0 wrote in post #18722638 (external link)
I tried one of the WD units out. It was terribly slow and kind of a kluge

alex66 wrote in post #18722635 (external link)

What was suggested is to go right from the built-in card reader to the WD drive. That takes the wireless out of the picture at least for the first level backup. The SSD might even further speed that process up.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,999 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Oct 05, 2018 14:59 |  #12

SD cards are pretty cheap nowadays and lighter and smaller than anything. When I recently traveled to South Korea for about a month, I had several 32GB SD cards. Personally, I prefer to have several 32GB cards over less larger capacity cards just in case something happens to a card, i.e., don't put all the eggs in one basket, so to speak. A 32GB can hold 3,276 10MB RAW photos. Even at 20MB RAW photos, it holds over 1,600 photos. I only needed two 32GB cards for a month long trip.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,828 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 05, 2018 22:42 |  #13

John from PA wrote in post #18722668 (external link)
What was suggested is to go right from the built-in card reader to the WD drive. That takes the wireless out of the picture at least for the first level backup. The SSD might even further speed that process up.

You need some kind of controller, for the reading of the card reader and to control the writing to the HD/SSD.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,301 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 16 days ago by John from PA. (2 edits in all)

Oct 05, 2018 23:51 |  #14

Wilt wrote in post #18723210 (external link)
You need some kind of controller, for the reading of the card reader and to control the writing to the HD/SSD.

It's all built into the device. See https://www.wdc.com …assport-wireless-ssd.html (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,828 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 16 days ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Oct 06, 2018 00:23 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #15

Oh, good, originally when the suggestion was made, it sounded like a suggestion for the OP to simply connect the two rather than suggesting an off-the-shelf solution. Glad to see this is available, a nice way to deal with getting images onto a secondary storage device without a PC, as once existed between CF and HD (the original Hyperdrive by Sanho). I wonder how many GB of images can be transferred on a single charge (10 hours of operating time).

BTW, the HyperDrive ColorSpace UDMA3 - Photo/Video Memory Card Backup Device does the same (memory cards to mass storage device), and handles up to 1TB SSD or 2TB HD

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

363 views & 1 like for this thread
Photo management while traveling (long term)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.