Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Oct 2018 (Tuesday) 10:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 7D wifi tethering for remote view

Tmosely1
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2018

Oct 09, 2018 10:16 |  #1

I have a Canon 7D that I use to shoot athletics for my kids. I get asked ALOT about what I'm getting for images and have really been considering a camranger or a WFT-E5A to try to address the request. My thought was that I could keep an ipad around and it would allow the parents around me to be able to look thru images without wanting to handle the camera or having me stop and scroll thru the camera to show them. I was hoping maybe someone had an experience to share?

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,878 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 11, 2018 15:27 |  #2

The WFT will allow you to set the camera up as a server, so that up to three different users simultaneously can browse the images currently in the camera. But you can control the camera too via that connection.

I don't immediately remember if you can prevent that. I can check, if you want to know?

Anders

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,320 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 11 days ago by TeamSpeed.

Oct 11, 2018 16:03 |  #3

I did the MR3040 router in this list and it worked well with the 7D.

http://dslrcontroller.​com/how-to.php (external link)

Just find a device, flash the firmware and then set up the wifi SSID, then attach your phone to that. The software then allows remote access/control and downloading of images.

The MR3040 unit is basically the camranger, but much cheaper with the DIY route.

However, what you are really looking for is what the old eyefi card did. It would automatically upload any protected files on the camera to a remote device. However eyefi has fallen by the wayside quite a bit these days.

I would give parents my tablet, and as I shot, I would "protect" the ones I liked, and they would see them on the tablet as we moved around from scene to scene.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,878 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 11, 2018 17:41 |  #4

The WTF-E5 can also transmit images to an FTP server. Laptops can be FTP servers. Are there software for iPads too for that?

Anders

Tmosely1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2018

Oct 11, 2018 19:02 |  #5

[QUOTE=TeamSpeed;18727​010]I did the MR3040 router in this list and it worked well with the 7D.

http://dslrcontroller.​com/how-to.php (external link)

Thats a pretty trick way of doing that.. Good info

Tmosely1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2018

Oct 11, 2018 19:05 |  #6

apersson850 wrote in post #18726984 (external link)
The WFT will allow you to set the camera up as a server, so that up to three different users simultaneously can browse the images currently in the camera. But you can control the camera too via that connection.

I don't immediately remember if you can prevent that. I can check, if you want to know?

The control is one thing I'm a little worried about... I don't want a random person with my iPad think they're adjusting the picture color or something and accidentally making a camera adjustment.

I've been watching for a wft on the forums or eBay, but haven't found a reasonable one... I've heard they are a little taxing on batteries, what kind of shooting times are you seeing?

Tmosely1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2018

Oct 11, 2018 19:06 |  #7

I also found a product called the Weye Feye S that's really interesting. Supposedly it will do what I'm looking for and its less than $40

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,878 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 10 days ago by apersson850.

Oct 12, 2018 04:56 |  #8

Unlike the WFT-E6 or WFT-E8 for the 1DX or 1DX Mark II, which live off the camera's battery, the WFT-E5 on the 7D has its own battery. Frequently the camera's battery gives up first. But it does depend on what you do, of course. The FTP client is most energy efficient, as it connects, transfers and disconnects. If the WFT is running in server mode, it has to be up and transmitting all the time.
When I've used my WFT-E5B for longer durations on one of my 7D cameras, it has been for Bluetooth connection with a GPS. The WFT server functionality I've only used for shorter periods, so I can't really say how long it will last.

Anders

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,320 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 10 days ago by TeamSpeed.

Oct 12, 2018 14:55 |  #9

Eye-fi mobi is still supported, too, as an fyi

http://www.eyefi.com/ (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

486 views & 2 likes for this thread
Canon 7D wifi tethering for remote view
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.