Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 09 Oct 2018 (Tuesday) 21:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Firecrest filters or firecrest ultra filters?

Mtk
157 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 09, 2018 21:54 |  #1

Good evening everyone,

I am in the market for a filter system. I think I have decided to go with format-Hitech but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Firecrest ultra line and the original firecrest line and is it worth the large price tag that comes along with the ultra? I have tried to locate a comparison review but have had no luck. I am wondering what the differences are between the two. Does it have less coffee a color cast? What is the reason for the the difference in price? Anyone that has info please let me know.

Thank you,

Canon 7D, Canon 100-400 F4/5.6 ISL Canon EF-S- 10-22

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,721 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 11, 2018 10:30 |  #2

Mtk wrote in post #18725912 (external link)
Good evening everyone,

I am in the market for a filter system. I think I have decided to go with format-Hitech but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Firecrest ultra line and the original firecrest line and is it worth the large price tag that comes along with the ultra? I have tried to locate a comparison review but have had no luck. I am wondering what the differences are between the two. Does it have less coffee a color cast? What is the reason for the the difference in price? Anyone that has info please let me know.

Thank you,

I use the original Firecrest line and can say that there is almost no color cast (to my eye there is actually zero cast, even when stacking, but I have no equipment to scientifically test So we’ll stick with almost none)

The only different I see in the ultra series is that they say it goes through a second “lapping and polishing“ process which is supposed to give the filter “greater clarity and less reflectivity”.

So no difference in color cast but the ultra is supposed to give better image quality. I have seen zero degradation in image quality with the original Firecrest filter so not sure what pixie dust they use to get even better IQ.

I’ll got out on a limb and say that the ultra probably isn’t worth the extra cash over the original. But I haven’t used the ultra so I could be wrong and they could be amazing and 10 times better then the original (which is already damn near perfect).

When I doubt buy from a company with a good return policy and buy one of each. Try them out and see if the ultra really does give better results then the original. I’d actually be very interested in the different and examples comparing the two.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

187 views & 0 likes for this thread
Firecrest filters or firecrest ultra filters?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.