Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

nardes
Goldmember
1,808 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by nardes.

Oct 26, 2018 15:08 |  #166

umphotography wrote in post #18736870 (external link)
Wow

from images i am seeing pop up, this new 24-105 is very very impressive. How close to a straight off files are these images. these are excellent. Just wondering how much post you have out into the files

Thanks for all the comments folks, I appreciate them.:-)

Here is a full res 1200x675 pixel crop from the Raw CR3 file, unprocessed. Hand held but elbows resting on our wheelie bin.:-)

The original processed shots had the following applied:

Nik Detail Extractor (default values).
Topaz AI Clear (Low) noise reduction via Topaz Studio.

I am very pleased and impressed with the NR/Sharpening in Topaz AI Clear.:-)

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,589 posts
Gallery: 466 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 10 months ago by C Scott IV. (3 edits in all)

Oct 26, 2018 17:58 |  #167

I read a review on B&H today saying that the EOS R doesn't have a built in electronic level that shows your camera is level. Is that true? I've been using the level in my 7D and 80D religiosly since 2011 and am quite fond of it.

Edit: Just read the specs on usa.canon.com. It lists electronic level in the EVF section but not in the live view section. So the question stands.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,836 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 10 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Oct 26, 2018 18:07 |  #168

C Scott IV wrote in post #18737262 (external link)
I read a review on B&H today saying that the EOS R doesn't have a built in level. Is that true? I've been using the level in my 7D and 80D religiosly since 2011 and am quite fond of it.

Edit: Just read the specs on usa.canon.com. It lists electronic level in the EVF section but not in the live view section. So the question stands.

Appears to be a misinformed individual?

page 202 in the owners manual

https://www.the-digital-picture.com …News-Post.aspx?News=28527 (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,589 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 26, 2018 18:13 |  #169

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18737269 (external link)
Appears to be a misinformed individual?

page 202 in the owners manual

https://www.the-digital-picture.com …News-Post.aspx?News=28527 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TeamSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=187​37269&i=i97020208
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Thanks for the quick response. I was actually referring to the level display so you can see if the camera is level. Sorry for the confusion.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 26, 2018 18:21 as a reply to  @ C Scott IV's post |  #170

It has a level in both live view and EVF.

John_T
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Oct 26, 2018 19:16 |  #171

samueli wrote in post #18737277 (external link)

You can toggle it on or off with the Info button.

Canon : EOS R : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : RF-24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,589 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 10 months ago by C Scott IV.

Oct 26, 2018 20:54 |  #172

John_T wrote in post #18737306 (external link)
You can toggle it on or off with the Info button.

samueli wrote in post #18737277 (external link)

Thank you both. I really thought it would.

I'm seriously considering this even though I don't actually need it.

Charles

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,262 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by mdvaden.

Oct 26, 2018 21:40 |  #173

nardes wrote in post #18737126 (external link)
Thanks for all the comments folks, I appreciate them.:-)

Here is a full res 1200x675 pixel crop from the Raw CR3 file, unprocessed. Hand held but elbows resting on our wheelie bin.:-)

The original processed shots had the following applied:

Nik Detail Extractor (default values).
Topaz AI Clear (Low) noise reduction via Topaz Studio.

I am very pleased and impressed with the NR/Sharpening in Topaz AI Clear.:-)

Cheers

Dennis
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by nardes in
./showthread.php?p=187​37126&i=i200119505
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

I almost ordered this lens tonight, but having two zooms covering 24mm to 200mm, I opted for the RF 50mm 1.2

Will order on Monday. The body and lens have been set aside. Just found that the control ring adapter may take a week or so to get or even purchase. The body and lens will come from Portland down here to southern Oregon. So maybe next weekend I will have a sample or two to share.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,569 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 26, 2018 22:15 as a reply to  @ mdvaden's post |  #174

Mdvaden: Congratulations on your decision. Looking forward to some samples

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

nardes
Goldmember
1,808 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by nardes.

Oct 27, 2018 01:27 |  #175

umphotography wrote in post #18737009 (external link)
Yup

cant wait to see a 100L macro on the sensor

Same specimen with Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, hand held with OCF.

Manual Mode, 1/200 sec, F11, ISO100, Spot AF Centre Point.

As expected, being a dedicated macro lens, the 100mm F2.8 L is a stellar performer.

Cheers

Dennis

EDIT:
Image #2 is a full res crop.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,701 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 27, 2018 02:49 |  #176

Ok everyone these are the wifi "backups" while testing.. Its super snappy transfering the files. I was able to open them in Snapseed all i did was lift the exposure a little bit and these are my results using this function. Now my question is, is there any setting to automatically download the images to my phone. As of now it is just a reflection of our SD card and not really stored on the phone (android) or Canon app. I have to pic the pictures i want then download to the phones memory. I wish this happened automatically which would make it a true "backup" as the images are actually being stored in another "storage device" if you will .. Not sure if you guys follow what i am saying... -? If there is no Wifi, you cannot access the pics because they are not being saved directly in the phone. What would happen if there is an SD failure? How are you going to access the files if it was not automatically saved in to our phones. Again this may be a setting that i am not seeing...

but here they are

IMAGE: http://i67.tinypic.com/b6oj13.jpg

IMAGE: http://i65.tinypic.com/20a7zg8.jpg

IMAGE: http://i64.tinypic.com/160ao88.jpg

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

nardes
Goldmember
1,808 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 27, 2018 03:13 |  #177

DigitalTuned wrote in post #18737496 (external link)
Ok everyone these are the wifi "backups" while testing.. Its super snappy transfering the files. I was able to open them in Snapseed all i did was lift the exposure a little bit and these are my results using this function. Now my question is, is there any setting to automatically download the images to my phone. As of now it is just a reflection of our SD card and not really stored on the phone (android) or Canon app. I have to pic the pictures i want then download to the phones memory. I wish this happened automatically which would make it a true "backup" as the images are actually being stored in another "storage device" if you will .. Not sure if you guys follow what i am saying... -? If there is no Wifi, you cannot access the pics because they are not being saved directly in the phone. What would happen if there is an SD failure? How are you going to access the files if it was not automatically saved in to our phones. Again this may be a setting that i am not seeing...

but here they are

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

The EOS R User Guide on Pages 444 and 446 indicate that you can transfer shots to a Smartphone automatically as they are taken.

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,066 posts
Gallery: 136 photos
Joined Jan 2004
Post edited 10 months ago by joeseph. (2 edits in all)

Oct 27, 2018 03:50 |  #178

samueli wrote in post #18736092 (external link)
Curious if you're still swearing. Is the expectation to use the DPAD instead of "touchscreen active while using viewfinder"? I missed a few good shots last night because of nose interference and the focus point was in a top corner instead of the subject.

swearing has abated (well, mostly!), needed a bit of searching, but came up with needing to disable the touchscreen apart from the top-right quadrant.

The idea is that while at eye-level, you can use the screen with your right thumb to move the AF point around in that quadrant if you need to, but avoid your nose picking stuff at random (excuse the TF baiting expression)

stupidly, the default setting is leave all the touchscreen active at least on the M5, and I can imagine thousands of users getting very, very annoyed with this. Could be they expect you to read the manual from cover to cover a million times to work out where you went wrong, but I'm picking lots of folks would give up way before they found the cure.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

DigitalTuned
4,701 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 27, 2018 03:57 as a reply to  @ nardes's post |  #179

AHA! let me try this now.. i need to learn how to read manuals :-P Thank you

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

DigitalTuned
4,701 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 27, 2018 04:13 |  #180

Thank you Dennis works like a charm

Isaac
Abraham Lincoln

sponsored links

680,762 views & 11,471 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.