Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,505 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 28, 2018 04:44 |  #1846

Pondrader wrote in post #18778835 (external link)
I'm afraid I did the same... and returned one after a few short days... I think its pretty well known now that lenses are as sharp or people feel.... sharper than on other body's.

Lenses don't change sharpness with bodies; lens sharpness, AF accuracy, and lack of extraneous vibrations are three different things. Bigger pixels (than you're used to) are going to look sharper at 100%, and the lack of mirror slap in the R will improve things for people whose shutter-speed choice is right near the cusp of being problematic with mirror slap. With no need for MFA, there is no chance for that to be off.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,505 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 28, 2018 04:50 |  #1847

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18779127 (external link)
And all this time I've been using mine to bring far away stuff closer. Who knew! {sigh}

What you have been doing is magnifying things more on the sensor; not bringing them closer, and not bringing you closer, either. If either of those two happened, you'd have a change of perspective.

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,684 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 28, 2018 05:07 |  #1848

Kookaburra after a bath in muddy water.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Dave
Image editing OK

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by Pondrader.

Dec 28, 2018 07:37 |  #1849

John Sheehy wrote in post #18779367 (external link)
Lenses don't change sharpness with bodies; lens sharpness, AF accuracy, and lack of extraneous vibrations are three different things. Bigger pixels (than you're used to) are going to look sharper at 100%, and the lack of mirror slap in the R will improve things for people whose shutter-speed choice is right near the cusp of being problematic with mirror slap. With no need for MFA, there is no chance for that to be off.

I never implied they did John... Thanks for your unneeded help on the matter. I implied others have said the R brought new life to their lenses...

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,684 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Choderboy.

Dec 28, 2018 07:45 |  #1850

Choderboy wrote in post #18778723 (external link)
I have the User Manual on my Kindle so I will be RTFMing the next few days.
If anyone can help in the meantime that would be good.

Regarding lens IS always on. Today I noticed the 100-400 II IS spinning continually. My first attempt trying to stop that failed - I switched to Mode 3 IS which "only activates during exposure". That description is out dated now I think (ie it was a pre mirrorless description)

I found that if I closed the flippy screen, the IS activates for approx 5 seconds if I hit the AF-ON button. (press momentarily, not hold)

I'd like to have the IS behave like above when I have the flippy screen open, ie screen facing me.

I found my answer page 143:
I can't say I like the answer.

HOSTED PHOTO

Dave
Image editing OK

Trout ­ Bum
650 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 28, 2018 08:59 |  #1851

Choderboy wrote in post #18779427 (external link)
I found my answer page 143:
I can't say I like the answer.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Choderboy in
./showthread.php?p=187​79427&i=i63379767
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Well, that sucks...
Sure hope that can be fixed with a firmware update.

Mark
photography website (external link)
fine art website (external link)
youtube channel (external link)
Instagram: @MarkMilleArt

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,684 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 28, 2018 09:16 as a reply to  @ Trout Bum's post |  #1852

This behaviour started with the M3.

So far my solutions are:

1/ Close the flippin flippy screen. IS then activates for 5 seconds after shutter button half press.
2/ Assign a button to turn the LCD off. IS then stops after 1 second.

Option 2 seems the least objectionable but a light touch on the M-Fn bar wakes it up. It's also a waste of a customisable button.

The most strange aspect of this feature IMHO is that it disables Mode 3 IS.

Newly Added IS Mode 3: The new IS II super-telephoto lenses are the first to introduce Canon’s new IS Mode 3. This new stabilization mode is similar to IS Mode 2 in the respect that it can detect and correct for panning by shutting off IS correction in the panning direction, but the difference is that IS correction occurs only during the actual exposure in IS Mode 3.

Dave
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,684 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 28, 2018 09:19 |  #1853

The fact Canon implemented this in the M3 and all Ms since then, I don't think they will change this by a firmware update.

Dave
Image editing OK

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by Pondrader.

Dec 28, 2018 10:11 |  #1854

Choderboy wrote in post #18779474 (external link)
This behaviour started with the M3.

So far my solutions are:

1/ Close the flippin flippy screen. IS then activates for 5 seconds after shutter button half press.
2/ Assign a button to turn the LCD off. IS then stops after 1 second.

Option 2 seems the least objectionable but a light touch on the M-Fn bar wakes it up. It's also a waste of a customisable button.

The most strange aspect of this feature IMHO is that it disables Mode 3 IS.

Newly Added IS Mode 3: The new IS II super-telephoto lenses are the first to introduce Canon’s new IS Mode 3. This new stabilization mode is similar to IS Mode 2 in the respect that it can detect and correct for panning by shutting off IS correction in the panning direction, but the difference is that IS correction occurs only during the actual exposure in IS Mode 3.

I assigned the Star button to do just that... back a couple weeks ago and it works just fine.

flickr (external link)

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 28, 2018 10:30 |  #1855

Do you guys think (compared to the 5D4) that the highlights recover a bit better?

Chris Giles Photography

i-G12
Wat?
2,075 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 28, 2018 10:38 |  #1856

Choderboy wrote in post #18779477 (external link)
The fact Canon implemented this in the M3 and all Ms since then, I don't think they will change this by a firmware update.

So why did Canon so this? There must be a reason.

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,684 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 28, 2018 11:26 |  #1857

i-G12 wrote in post #18779521 (external link)
So why did Canon so this? There must be a reason.

I don't think there must be a reason. It could have been an unexpected result, ie a bug but a bug they decided not to fix or would have cost too much to fix.
No other mirrorless from other manufacturers do this. Obviously IS always on is not required as 2 of the 4 RF lenses that exist do not even have IS.

Dave
Image editing OK

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,816 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 28, 2018 12:08 |  #1858

Pondrader wrote in post #18779423 (external link)
I never implied they did John... Thanks for your unneeded help on the matter. I implied others have said the R brought new life to their lenses...

Hahahaha I have said the R brings new life to my lenses especially to my vintage ones. EF lenses seem to lock focus much more accurate and faster and with the focus peek in the R really helps me to achieve better focus with all my vintage lenses.

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 28, 2018 12:20 |  #1859

DigitalTuned wrote in post #18779573 (external link)
Hahahaha I have said the R brings new life to my lenses especially to my vintage ones. EF lenses seem to lock focus much more accurate and faster and with the focus peek in the R really helps me to achieve better focus with all my vintage lenses.

I know Issac... many have said the same.. John likes to be derogatory about everything I say... I'm about as far as I can go without getting derogatory myself... If he never addressed anything I say again I would be ok with that... Maybe I should just stop talking... nuff sed....

flickr (external link)

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,816 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 28, 2018 12:48 |  #1860

Pondrader wrote in post #18779583 (external link)
I know Issac... many have said the same.. John likes to be derogatory about everything I say... I'm about as far as I can go without getting derogatory myself... If he never addressed anything I say again I would be ok with that... Maybe I should just stop talking... nuff sed....

haha.. i am wondering if John is an actual hands on R experienced guy something tell me otherwise.. :rolleyes:

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

1,726,546 views & 25,090 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.