Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

i-G12
Wat?
1,804 posts
Gallery: 109 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 28, 2018 14:08 |  #1861

Choderboy wrote in post #18779558 (external link)
I don't think there must be a reason. It could have been an unexpected result, ie a bug but a bug they decided not to fix or would have cost too much to fix.
No other mirrorless from other manufacturers do this. Obviously IS always on is not required as 2 of the 4 RF lenses that exist do not even have IS.

It's a PITA to have to turn off IS (or even think about it). There is a reason somewhere. If it was some sort of bug they would have fixed it before releasing the R.

Is this an obvious attempt to discourage the use of EF lens sooner than later since this isn't an issue with the new RF lenses with IS? Annoying, Canon.

sponsored links
MatthewK
Goldmember
4,185 posts
Gallery: 775 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 28, 2018 14:52 |  #1862

Checking in from Wisconsin :)

Took the R and control ring adapter, with my 50L and 100-400II + 1.4xIII. Also brought my Fuji X100F.

Haven’t gotten a chance to do much birding thanks to a sinus cold and familial obligations, so the 1-4 has pretty much stayed in the bag. The 50L is so supremely satisfying to use, it’s been glued on the R since I brought it home. With the control ring adapter providing EC, and being able to clearly see exposure and DOF, it’s a completely new shooting experience. What a dream.

Here’s a portrait of my grandma. One take, with only some highlights adjusted in post on Photoshop Express on my iPhone.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 28, 2018 14:53 |  #1863

Shortaction wrote in post #18779642 (external link)
This worked,

Thank you!

I have been sitting on the fence for weeks....

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 9 months ago by Pondrader. (3 edits in all)

Dec 28, 2018 14:54 |  #1864

As the camera see's it... and me for that matter.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,185 posts
Gallery: 775 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 28, 2018 14:57 |  #1865

One thing I wanted to ask you all about: there’s been more than a few instances where, when bringing the camera out of sleep, that there’s no AF point on screen. The camera will still attempt focus if I hit the AF button, but it won’t lock into anything. I have to turn the camera off and back on to get the point to display again. Any ideas?

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,256 posts
Gallery: 424 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 28, 2018 15:18 |  #1866

Pondrader wrote in post #18779672 (external link)
As the camera see's it... and me for that matter.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=187​79672&i=i103988236
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Hmm sensor really seems to lack contrast.... ;-)a

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 28, 2018 15:37 |  #1867

LoneRider wrote in post #18779694 (external link)
Hmm sensor really seems to lack contrast.... ;-)a

The rain on the snow.... man its foggy.... but no guessing on exposer.. love that..

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,214 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited 9 months ago by Chet.

Dec 28, 2018 16:20 |  #1868

MatthewK wrote in post #18779670 (external link)

Took the R and control ring adapter, with my 50L and 100-400II + 1.4xIII. Also brought my Fuji X100F.

Haven’t gotten a chance to do much birding thanks to a sinus cold and familial obligations, so the 1-4 has pretty much stayed in the bag. The 50L is so supremely satisfying to use, it’s been glued on the R since I brought it home. With the control ring adapter providing EC, and being able to clearly see exposure and DOF, it’s a completely new shooting experience. What a dream.

Here’s a portrait of my grandma. One take, with only some highlights adjusted in post on Photoshop Express on my iPhone.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MatthewK in
./showthread.php?p=187​79670&i=i117455932

Wow.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,880 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 9 months ago by umphotography.

Dec 28, 2018 16:45 |  #1869

MatthewK wrote in post #18779670 (external link)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MatthewK in
./showthread.php?p=187​79670&i=i117455932

Nice

You NEED  :p to rent that 50R and compare. Might just get me to hit then send button :love:

Grandma looks great

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,623 posts
Gallery: 475 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 9 months ago by C Scott IV. (3 edits in all)

Dec 28, 2018 18:14 |  #1870

Choderboy wrote in post #18779474 (external link)
This behaviour started with the M3.

So far my solutions are:

1/ Close the flippin flippy screen. IS then activates for 5 seconds after shutter button half press.
2/ Assign a button to turn the LCD off. IS then stops after 1 second.

Option 2 seems the least objectionable but a light touch on the M-Fn bar wakes it up. It's also a waste of a customisable button.

The most strange aspect of this feature IMHO is that it disables Mode 3 IS.

Newly Added IS Mode 3: The new IS II super-telephoto lenses are the first to introduce Canon’s new IS Mode 3. This new stabilization mode is similar to IS Mode 2 in the respect that it can detect and correct for panning by shutting off IS correction in the panning direction, but the difference is that IS correction occurs only during the actual exposure in IS Mode 3.

I tested this a while back and just now to make sure I wasn't losing my mind.

This is what happens on mine when * is pressed. * was configured for "Display off"

• RF 24-105L - IS noise continued
  • EF 28-300L and 100-400L - IS noise stopped

As you and Jeff mentioned, just touching the M-Fn bar reactivates the LCD even when the M-Fn bar is disabled.

Also the IS noise on the RF 24-105L continued regardless of the position of the IS switch on the lens itself. So it is using battery even though there is no stabilization. Constant AF was disabled at the time so it isn't AF noise.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,623 posts
Gallery: 475 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 9 months ago by C Scott IV. (2 edits in all)

Dec 28, 2018 18:27 |  #1871

i-G12 wrote in post #18779640 (external link)
It's a PITA to have to turn off IS (or even think about it). There is a reason somewhere. If it was some sort of bug they would have fixed it before releasing the R.

Is this an obvious attempt to discourage the use of EF lens sooner than later since this isn't an issue with the new RF lenses with IS? Annoying, Canon.

I don't think so because IS on EF lenses work as expected. On EF lenses IS turns off when the LCD is blank or the IS switch is off.

That is not the case with the RF 24-105L lens I have. The RF IS motor continues as long as the R power switch is on regardless of the IS switch position.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

i-G12
Wat?
1,804 posts
Gallery: 109 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 28, 2018 19:28 |  #1872

C Scott IV wrote in post #18779816 (external link)
I don't think so because IS on EF lenses works as expected. On EF lenses IS turns off when the LCD is blank or the IS switch is off.

That is not the case with the RF 24-105L lens I have. The RF IS motor continues as long as the R power switch is on regardless of the IS switch position.

Oh. I had it backwards. -?

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 28, 2018 20:06 |  #1873

Shortaction wrote in post #18779832 (external link)
About loading Mojave? I tried to load it back when it first came out, but I had an error and couldn't get it to load, so actually forgot about it. Had to call apple tech (they where awesome) and they had me delete the installer I had loaded and reinstall it again fixed the problem.

Are you loading your pictures with PS now?

The pictures weren't great, but I knew they wouldn't be. I had a terrible time with the auto-focus point but I realized after I left the store I think my nose was touching the screen. EVF wasn't giving my a real representation of exposure and I couldn't move the focus point with my thumb on the screen. Oh well I'll know better next time I'm at the store.

I no longer use a program to import my images... I move them manually to an external hard drive then import to Lightroomcc. I don't loose track of images this way. Once imported into LRcc all images are present and accounted for and right where I left them.. Not seeing the raw is not a big deal for me really. I have never tried the screen for moving points.. I went straight to the Dpad.

flickr (external link)

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,675 posts
Gallery: 340 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 28, 2018 20:09 |  #1874

So I had the 100-400 on the R for a bit today. I had one repeatable problem, though not something likely to be an issue in regular use. I went from shooting near MFD at 400mm and directly pointed it out the window at something far away, it went out to 3m and then stopped and just turned the red box on the screen indicating no focus. I found a few easy workarounds. Bump the manual focus ring past the 3m point and it focus's. Focus on something 5m away first, then off in the distance. Zoom to 300, focus, then zoom to 400. Just an odd little quirk I thought.

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R
Donate for Forum Costs

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 9 months ago by Pondrader. (2 edits in all)

Dec 28, 2018 21:36 |  #1875

randy98mtu wrote in post #18779860 (external link)
So I had the 100-400 on the R for a bit today. I had one repeatable problem, though not something likely to be an issue in regular use. I went from shooting near MFD at 400mm and directly pointed it out the window at something far away, it went out to 3m and then stopped and just turned the red box on the screen indicating no focus. I found a few easy workarounds. Bump the manual focus ring past the 3m point and it focus's. Focus on something 5m away first, then off in the distance. Zoom to 300, focus, then zoom to 400. Just an odd little quirk I thought.

Randy to have two ranges on your lens and a switch.. change your range from full to infinity. Maybe that will fix your problem.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

764,216 views & 12,791 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.