Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

ElTigreBlanco
564 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 30, 2018 18:42 as a reply to  @ post 18780820 |  #1921

Thanks, it was a canon 2xiii and I think a tamron 1.4. I tried mounting both canon extenders but they didn't fit

I like to shoot things...sometimes with a camera!

sponsored links
DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,734 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 30, 2018 19:34 |  #1922

deglopper wrote in post #18780930 (external link)
@DigitalTuned it's a generic FD to RF adapter from China via ebay. Like the EOS to RF adapter, it's just an empty tube of the right length, with a collar to activate the FD aperture ring on the lens.

The most interesting thing so far is that DPP, and the on-camera display, show the focus area as a focus point for shots with a manual focus non-communicating lens.

QUOTED IMAGE

I was thinking to get this one I have a few FD lenses that I can play with

https://www.amazon.com …keywords=fd+to+​ef+adaptor (external link)

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

bbqkid8
298 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 30, 2018 19:46 |  #1923

Petie53 wrote in post #18781082 (external link)
I need to get one of those invisibility cloaks like you and Jeff use! I have zero luck with owls as I notice them as they fly off.

This is actually my first barred owl, so I’m pretty happy about this encounter today.

Brian,
Canon EOS R; Canon 500mm f/4 Mark II; Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6 Mark II; Canon 70-200mm 2.8 Mark II; Canon RF 28-70 f/2; Canon 1.4x Extender Mark III;
https://www.brianbaqui​al.com (external link)
Instagram (external link)

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,148 posts
Gallery: 269 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 30, 2018 19:54 |  #1924

lijoec wrote in post #18773457 (external link)
I just watched a Thomas Heaton video. He was comparing the D850 to the 5DIV. You will be surprised of what he says. I know, why did I post this here? Well his comments about real world use as apposed to charts made me giggle since it's what I said earlier in this thread. He also said something I've said and suggest, rent before you buy! Sorry, but I find it relative to this thread with a few that have to quote charts or compare to other cameras. Enjoy the new R, it's yours so it's better then the one you dont own. Keep up with the pictures, they look awesome. https://youtu.be/oNzIR​L0j52Q (external link)

I just watched Thomas Heatons latest video and it seems he actually apologises for his comments on the R (a few minutes in he says you would be lucky to have the R) and the D850, It seems he has seen the light and realised too much is made of the cameras and not the actual photography. Im glad because i always have loved his channel, I was getting worried he would become just another gear knob head commenting on pixels and dynamic range and viewfinders :-P In the end I still maintain its more about the photography than the gear and too much is made of gear these days. Enjoy your gear, great if you can get the latest and greatest, have fun. Happy new year all, I enjoy looking at your images

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,269 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 30, 2018 20:01 |  #1925

aladyforty wrote in post #18781207 (external link)
I just watched Thomas Heatons latest video and it seems he actually apologises for his comments on the R (a few minutes in he says you would be lucky to have the R) and the D850, It seems he has seen the light and realised too much is made of the cameras and not the actual photography. Im glad because i always have loved his channel, I was getting worried he would become just another gear knob head commenting on pixels and dynamic range and viewfinders :-P In the end I still maintain its more about the photography than the gear and too much is made of gear these days. Enjoy your gear, great if you can get the latest and greatest, have fun. Happy new year all, I enjoy looking at your images

I actually just watched that whole thing too. I was so bitterly disappointed when he started this whole gear thing. His was one of a few channels that I could tune into to enjoy something of the results or the creative process of photography. I'm glad he seems to have found his bearings. Ted Forbes's channel (The art of Photography) was another good channel till he jumped on the gear bandwagon. Unfortunately I've unsubscribed from so many good channels because they're promoting gear that I've got very few left.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

deglopper
57 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 30, 2018 20:05 |  #1926

DigitalTuned wrote in post #18781189 (external link)
deglopper wrote in post #18780930 (external link)
@DigitalTuned it's a generic FD to RF adapter from China via ebay. Like the EOS to RF adapter, it's just an empty tube of the right length, with a collar to activate the FD aperture ring on the lens.

I was thinking to get this one I have a few FD lenses that I can play with

https://www.amazon.com …keywords=fd+to+​ef+adaptor (external link)

You don't want that one - any FD to EF adapter will have a cheap optical correction element which reduces image quality. This is because the flange distance for FD was less than EF, perhaps to prevent the use of simple adapters when EF was introduced in 1987.

You want a direct adapter from FD to RF; the flange distance for RF is much lower than either FD or EF, so a simple tube adapter can be used with no impact on image quality. There had been one on Amazon for about $18 a week or two back, but I don't see them now - your only choice appears to be ebay from china and waiting 3-4 weeks. There are lots of them; this is just one example: https://www.ebay.com …g4AAOSwAFFb-5uH:rk:2:pf:0 (external link)

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,734 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited 9 months ago by DigitalTuned.

Dec 31, 2018 00:36 |  #1927

deglopper wrote in post #18781213 (external link)
You don't want that one - any FD to EF adapter will have a cheap optical correction element which reduces image quality. This is because the flange distance for FD was less than EF, perhaps to prevent the use of simple adapters when EF was introduced in 1987.

You want a direct adapter from FD to RF; the flange distance for RF is much lower than either FD or EF, so a simple tube adapter can be used with no impact on image quality. There had been one on Amazon for about $18 a week or two back, but I don't see them now - your only choice appears to be ebay from china and waiting 3-4 weeks. There are lots of them; this is just one example: https://www.ebay.com …g4AAOSwAFFb-5uH:rk:2:pf:0 (external link)

ahh will do, i forgot its an R mount lmao.. all i use are EF lenses on the adaptor its like part of the camera now haha , thank you

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

lijoec
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 31, 2018 03:33 |  #1928

aladyforty wrote in post #18781207 (external link)

I have not seen it as yet, but at the end of the D850 video he was starting to say the same thing.

Gear for the most part is a personal need, what's best for one person might be different for you. The Camera doesn't frame the shot, hike that mountain, cross that stream or set it's own settings we do all that. what makes a photo great is what the photog sees and conveys. Any camera can do that as long as you take the time to learn the camera!

I just look forward to the time I have the funds for the R, until then I'll just lerk here and drool.:-)

Cheers,
Joe
"Image Editing OK"

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,148 posts
Gallery: 269 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 31, 2018 07:11 |  #1929

lijoec wrote in post #18781436 (external link)
I have not seen it as yet, but at the end of the D850 video he was starting to say the same thing.

Gear for the most part is a personal need, what's best for one person might be different for you. The Camera doesn't frame the shot, hike that mountain, cross that stream or set it's own settings we do all that. what makes a photo great is what the photog sees and conveys. Any camera can do that as long as you take the time to learn the camera!

I just look forward to the time I have the funds for the R, until then I'll just lerk here and drool.:-)

yeah I get that, I do a lot of drooling over lenses :lol: also quite taken with the new Fuji XT3 but for me right now any new gear is out of the question sadly. I mainly just love to look at peoples work on the subjects that interest me regardless of camera or brand

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,256 posts
Gallery: 424 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 31, 2018 16:15 |  #1930

I wasn’t sure about posting “graphic” photos in this thread, so started a new one with shots taken during my wife’s eyelid surgery this morning.

Nothing too gory or bloody, but I know some folks are very sensitive to those things - you’ve been warned ;-)a

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18781850

Small size/weight of the R and the flippy screen made these shots easy to do one-handed holding over my head.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,214 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 31, 2018 16:20 |  #1931

LoneRider wrote in post #18781856 (external link)
I wasn’t sure about posting “graphic” photos in this thread, so started a new one with shots taken during my wife’s eyelid surgery this morning.

Nothing too gory or bloody, but I know some folks are very sensitive to those things - you’ve been warned ;-)a

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18781850

Small size/weight of the R and the flippy screen made these shots easy to do one-handed holding over my head.

You have to show us the final result.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,256 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 31, 2018 16:26 |  #1932

Chet wrote in post #18781862 (external link)
You have to show us the final result.

Will post some updates as she heals. Dr. said ROG expect some bruising/swelling for a few days. Go back in one week for check up and removal of stitches.

Wayne...

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,256 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 31, 2018 16:27 |  #1933

This morning’s sunrise...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Wayne...

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,185 posts
Gallery: 775 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 31, 2018 16:59 |  #1934

Just posted my 5D4 for sale... sad day, as I thought that it was to be the last camera I’d purchase for years to come, but the R and mirrorless capability is just too good to ignore. Over the Christmas break, the R consistently brought home shot after shot, with barely any misses. Such a delight to use.

For the most part the R can do what the 5D4 does, and for everything else I have the 1DX2 (and 80D).

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,256 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 31, 2018 17:10 |  #1935

MatthewK wrote in post #18781888 (external link)
Just posted my 5D4 for sale... sad day, as I thought that it was to be the last camera I’d purchase for years to come, but the R and mirrorless capability is just too good to ignore. Over the Christmas break, the R consistently brought home shot after shot, with barely any misses. Such a delight to use.

For the most part the R can do what the 5D4 does, and for everything else I have the 1DX2 (and 80D).

I am seriously considering doing the same. While I don’t have a 1DX, I do have an 80D and I see it filling in nicely for R shortcomings where there is a lot of overlap with the 5D4.

Not in a position of “need” to sell, but thinking may as well before it depreciates any more.

Wayne...

sponsored links

764,648 views & 12,792 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.