Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

mccamli
715 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited 11 months ago by mccamli.

Jan 27, 2019 07:13 |  #2656

Detroitable wrote in post #18799193 (external link)
SO what can we expect from the upcoming firmware update for the R ?

I'd settle for improved tracking. I'd really like to replace my 7Dii and 6D combo but worry about its tracking ability for things like BIF and fast moving kids. For me, the tracking doesn't need to be as good as the 7Dii but it does need to be passable.

I like to shoot with a thin depth of field and the accurate focus of the R would be a godsend. The flippy screen would be a saviour for my knees too!

Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,779 posts
Gallery: 498 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 27, 2019 08:01 |  #2657

Detroitable wrote in post #18799193 (external link)
SO what can we expect from the upcoming firmware update for the R ? Is 120FPS doable or is that a hardware limitation?

Just a guess but if the reason for no 120FPS and cropped 4K truly is overheating, firmware probably won't fix it.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!" Ansel Adams

Detroitable
41 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2019

Jan 27, 2019 10:01 |  #2658

I'm considering the R and I have an 80D with some lenses already. Just weighing getting the 24 105 which I can only use on the R or getting the control ring and a regular EF lens that I can use on BOTH cameras. First world problem I know. Any advice?

bbqkid8
301 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 27, 2019 10:12 |  #2659

Detroitable wrote in post #18799369 (external link)
I'm considering the R and I have an 80D with some lenses already. Just weighing getting the 24 105 which I can only use on the R or getting the control ring and a regular EF lens that I can use on BOTH cameras. First world problem I know. Any advice?

Do they still give the adapter free when buying the R body? When I got mine the basic adapter came with it, but I upgraded to the ring adapter.

Brian,
Canon EOS R; Canon 500mm f/4 Mark II; Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6 Mark II; Canon 70-200mm 2.8 Mark II; Canon RF 28-70 f/2; Canon 1.4x Extender Mark III;
https://www.brianbaqui​al.com (external link)
Instagram (external link)

vargasjv
752 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 27, 2019 12:01 as a reply to  @ Detroitable's post |  #2660

I'd get the 24-105 RF and the Control Ring :)

cwall64
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2018
Post edited 11 months ago by cwall64. (3 edits in all)

Jan 27, 2019 12:02 |  #2661

I was in the same boat as you with 5DMIV and 5DMIII with lots of EF L lenses. I went ahead and got the kit with the lens just so I would have one native mount lens... It is a nice walk around lens (in my opinion - I am not a pro though). I also bought the adapter with the control ring. I think the RF lens gives it nice compact feel when holding, the adapter plus EF lens kind of puts a little weight forward, but not anything that is an issue - just feels a little different. Again just my 2 cents with the camera for less than a week...

Canon EOS R, Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 5D Mark III, RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,779 posts
Gallery: 498 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 11 months ago by C Scott IV.

Jan 27, 2019 12:52 |  #2662

When I got my R I had an 80D, 28-300L, 100-400L, a few EF-S lenses and had just purchased the EF 24-105L II. I went ahead and got the RF 24-105 with the R kit because it is smaller than the EF and sits closer to the camera to boot because it doesn't need the adapter. The reviews on the RF 24-105L are very good. Much better than the EF 24-105L II and at the same price. That was the right decision for me.

The adapter was not part of the kit from B&H. I bought the standard adapter because I wasn't sure whether I would need the control ring. I wish they had placed the control ring at the camera end of the RF lenses so they would be in the same place whether using RF or EF glass. If I had to do it over again I would probably get the control ring adapter. It turns out the control ring is more useful than I thought. I may order one anyway.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!" Ansel Adams

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 27, 2019 13:22 |  #2663

I wished they'd put it at the camera end too as I want to use if for aperture, and that's where the old aperture controls used to be. Also, I'm just used to two rings on the end, a third is just going to confuse me, I'm going to be forever grabbing and changing the wrong one, so for those reasons, I'm sticking with Ed lenses and an adapter...

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 27, 2019 14:46 as a reply to  @ welshwizard1971's post |  #2664

^^^THIS!!!

Now that I have an RF lens, I’m confused as to where I adjust my ISO.

However, I managed to figure out where the zoom rings are on my lenses, so I am assuming that this will - eventually - become second nature.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

WilsonFlyer
770 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 11 months ago by WilsonFlyer.

Jan 27, 2019 18:02 |  #2665

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18799476 (external link)
I wished they'd put it at the camera end too as I want to use if for aperture, and that's where the old aperture controls used to be. Also, I'm just used to two rings on the end, a third is just going to confuse me, I'm going to be forever grabbing and changing the wrong one, so for those reasons, I'm sticking with Ed lenses and an adapter...

I agree with your guys. This is where the aperture ring used to be years ago anyway. In only seems logical. I can't imagine what they were thinking by putting a control ring at the point on a lens where you naturally create the most shake when using it. Not only that, it's going to vary anyway with each and every lens in both size (itself) and distance from the camera.

Had they put it rearward, it could have been a few mm from the mount, been exactly the same size and at exactly the same place on every R lens forever and ever. Somebody totally missed the boat on this one IMHO. Somebody in engineering needs to be fired. This was just flat out a magnitudal mistake that was 100% avoidable. Somebody simply didn't think thru this problem as I tell people about other things all the time.

And now we have to pay for it. FOREVER.

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 27, 2019 18:23 |  #2666

In Canon’s defence, their engineers have been very vocal about the benefits of the wide RF mount and it’s close proximity to the sensor. One of the benefits they are very proud of is the ability to shift the weight of the glass from the front of the lens to the rear, which not only benefits weight distribution and handling, but also allows for better image quality.

I sort of doubt Canon “simply didn’t think thru this problem”.

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,448 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 27, 2019 18:29 |  #2667

I found various website topics the past couple days about a Canon EOS RP

Since one today implied more than just a rumor, I started a new thread for it.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

WilsonFlyer
770 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 27, 2019 19:02 |  #2668

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18799614 (external link)
In Canon’s defence, their engineers have been very vocal about the benefits of the wide RF mount and it’s close proximity to the sensor. One of the benefits they are very proud of is the ability to shift the weight of the glass from the front of the lens to the rear, which not only benefits weight distribution and handling, but also allows for better image quality.

I sort of doubt Canon “simply didn’t think thru this problem”.

Has absolutely nothing to do that would be unsolvable by putting it to the rear and in the same place on every lens. I've looked back there. There's plenty of room to have worked in the same place and in the same way on every RF lens ever forward without affecting flange distance(s) at all. The CR converter does exactly this, ironically.

Yeah. They dropped the ball. I don't know why, but this wasn't the reason.

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,448 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 11 months ago by mdvaden. (4 edits in all)

Jan 27, 2019 19:48 |  #2669

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18799604 (external link)
I agree with your guys. This is where the aperture ring used to be years ago anyway. In only seems logical. I can't imagine what they were thinking by putting a control ring at the point on a lens where you naturally create the most shake when using it. Not only that, it's going to vary anyway with each and every lens in both size (itself) and distance from the camera.

It's in a perfect place for me. Glad they put it there, and I can understand why.

The speculation about more shake is merely speculation. because grabbing and moving a lens closer to the body will move a lens out of whack more than grabbing out farther on the lens because the the same hand motion close causes a greater travel and swing to the outer lens. At least that's how I envision it. If I grab my 70-200mm close to the body and nudge it 1/8 inch sideways, the end of the lens is probably going to sway 1/4 to 1/2 inch. But if I grab the end of lens and nudge it 1/8 inch, that's the end of the matter ... it would move 1/8 inch and the body would move even less.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 27, 2019 19:49 |  #2670

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18799633 (external link)
Has absolutely nothing to do that would be unsolvable by putting it to the rear and in the same place on every lens. I've looked back there. There's plenty of room to have worked in the same place and in the same way on every RF lens ever forward without affecting flange distance(s) at all. The CR converter does exactly this, ironically.

Yeah. They dropped the ball. I don't know why, but this wasn't the reason.

I disagree.

Here's why:

This shows the 'EF to RF control ring adapter' in and apples to apples visual comparison to an RF lens:

https://kenrockwell.co​m …S_3919-rf-ef-compared.jpg (external link)

As shown, the base of the RF50 is at least as wide as the control ring on the adapter. Adding an adapter would only add to the diameter of the lens.

And, I don't think Canon wants to take away anymore finger room than they already have. It's a bit tight back there already:

https://www.instagram.​com …ig_web_button_s​hare_sheet (external link)

And just to show why I think the ring can't be added to the RF50 without adding diameter in an area I believe does not have the space - take a look at this cutaway diagram of the RF50:

https://media.the-digital-picture.com …-1.2L-USM-Lens/Design.jpg (external link)

sponsored links

1,045,499 views & 17,074 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.