Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,445 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 17, 2019 11:41 |  #2986

JoelBosco wrote in post #18812646 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by JoelBosco in
./showthread.php?p=188​12646&i=i116460971
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

I just tried to charge a non-N LP-E6 and it does NOT work. It only works when I put the LP-E6N that came with it into the camera.

That's fascinating.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
WilsonFlyer
581 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 17, 2019 11:52 |  #2987

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18812907 (external link)
That's fascinating.

Seriously or was that tongue in cheek? Canon has said since the introduction of and at the introduction of the N that that's exactly what the difference was. Why is this suddenly a surprise to everyone?

crofter
266 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by crofter.

Feb 17, 2019 12:09 |  #2988

I just tried charging in camera using a powerbank thing I own,seems to work OK,bet it's slower than the battery charger though and the camera is out of action whilst charging,I'll stick to the charger.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

WilsonFlyer
581 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 17, 2019 12:45 |  #2989

crofter wrote in post #18812929 (external link)
I just tried charging in camera using a powerbank thing I own,seems to work OK,bet it's slower than the battery charger though and the camera is out of action whilst charging,I'll stick to the charger.

I think the basic finding has been that active/push power packs will charge it just fine. Passive ones will not.

LoneRider
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 289 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 1 month ago by LoneRider.

Feb 17, 2019 12:50 |  #2990

Confirmed the Anker charger works and with a “regular” cable (meaning not the one that came with camera).

Also confirm that the non “N” battery didn’t charge, neither did one of my aftermarket batteries.

https://www.amazon.com …words=Anker+usb​+c+charger (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Cano EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,445 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 17, 2019 12:59 |  #2991

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18812915 (external link)
Seriously or was that tongue in cheek? Canon has said since the introduction of and at the introduction of the N that that's exactly what the difference was. Why is this suddenly a surprise to everyone?

I did not know this. Always wondered what the N was, but never took the time to read up on it.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

LoneRider
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 289 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 17, 2019 13:06 |  #2992

No squirrels working today, cat on duty though...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Cano EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

WilsonFlyer
581 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by WilsonFlyer. (2 edits in all)

Feb 17, 2019 13:31 |  #2993

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18812958 (external link)
I did not know this. Always wondered what the N was, but never took the time to read up on it.

Slightly more wattage but it's negligible. The biggest point of the N was supposed to be the ability to charge in-camera for cameras that supported it going forward. The N probably has LiPo fail-safe circuitry to prevent overcharging and a chip that tells camera it's OK to charge it. In all fairness, I got curious when I bought the R and looked it up. The rest comes from my years in RC flying. Been using LiPos for years now.

I want to say the N came with the Mk IV but don't quote me on that.

vargasjv
748 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 17, 2019 14:12 |  #2994

LoneRider wrote in post #18812951 (external link)
Confirmed the Anker charger works and with a “regular” cable (meaning not the one that came with camera).

Also confirm that the non “N” battery didn’t charge, neither did one of my aftermarket batteries.

https://www.amazon.com …words=Anker+usb​+c+charger (external link)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by LoneRider in
./showthread.php?p=188​12951&i=i160845990
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

now - I wonder what's faster. The Canon battery charger or the Anker/USB-C charger? @ least this is a great backup

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,401 posts
Gallery: 435 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 17, 2019 14:37 |  #2995

Out for a Sunday drive and spotted a gas station still showing $1.18 on the pump!

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Public/2019-Miscellaneous/i-JcrQf2t/0/cc28e580/X3/20190217-1492-X3.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.cscott4.co​m …Miscellaneous/i​-JcrQf2t/A  (external link)

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

ElTigreBlanco
549 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 17, 2019 14:58 as a reply to  @ post 18812799 |  #2996

I haven't heard anything about third party batteries, personally I just decided to bend over and get Canon brand batteries. My guess would be that third party are lp-e6 clones and not the N to save money.

I like to shoot things...sometimes with a camera!

ElTigreBlanco
549 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 17, 2019 15:25 as a reply to  @ post 18812799 |  #2997

I haven't heard anything about third party batteries, personally I just decided to bend over and get Canon brand batteries. My guess would be that third party are lp-e6 clones and not the N to save money.

I like to shoot things...sometimes with a camera!

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,401 posts
Gallery: 435 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 17, 2019 16:19 |  #2998

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Public/2019-Landscape/i-WJmzfTM/0/ef196cd8/X3/20190217-1439-FS-X3.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.cscott4.co​m …019-Landscape/i-WJmzfTM/A  (external link)

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,899 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 17, 2019 16:19 |  #2999

ElTigreBlanco wrote in post #18813060 (external link)

I think you haven't read all the comments recently about this. It was already noted by Canon the difference between an N and non-N and how to use those in this camera. Canon makes non-N lp-e6 batteries too, not just 3rd party.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

white ­ venom
Goldmember
1,293 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 17, 2019 17:01 |  #3000

I am on the fence about adding the R to my gear collection, my only holdback is will they announce a pro body in the next month or 2... If I buy the R now and then a newer body comes I'll be kicking myself, but I have been eyeing this camera since the release. I currently have a 5D4 and think this would compliment it nicely...

Gear List~Website (external link)~Facebook (external link)~500px (external link)~flickr (external link)
Feedback-1 2345

sponsored links

275,152 views & 7,266 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.