Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

WilsonFlyer
666 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 17, 2019 16:15 as a reply to  @ post 18895380 |  #4996

That thing's definitely still broken. You should send it to me. :lol:

Congratulations! Welcome to the brotherhood.

sponsored links
rebop
519 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 17, 2019 23:56 |  #4997

So, today was testing day.

I have Lightroom 6 so no CR3.
Faststone Viewer with a questionable CR3 display.
DPP with CR3
Windows codecs for DNG, etc.

The JPG and DNG look very close in Windows Photo Viewer and very good. Not identical, but very comfortably close and good.
The CR3 in Faststone looks oversaturated, but crisp.
The CR3 in DPP looks great, as does the JPG. But I cannot find a workflow in DPP that comes close to LR. But the crudely edited images look OK.

Now, I convert the CR3 to DNG win Adobe DNG Converter. Import both the DNG and JPG to Lightroom 6.

The JPG looks good! The DNG is soft and very noisy. Nothing I try to remove noise, sharpen, contrast, clarity gets it to look anywhere close to the JPG in LR. Lots of color fringing as well.

I m at a loss what to do as I won't rent Adobe, ON1 does not have CCr3 decoding yet and DPP just does not seem to be a tool I can relate to.

I am amazed how bad the DNG's are in LR6.

I recall others here use and like those results. Anyone using Adobe Converter and LR 6? Working for you? I have to believe that its the DNG converter doing a poor job, but open to ideas.

(And converting to TIF in DPP and importing those to LR creates large files and is a very slow workflow).

I'm Bob and I'm an L-coholic
1DX - EOS R - 6D - G5 X
16-35
L - RF24-105 L - 24-105 L - 24-70 II L - 50 1.2 L
70-200 2.8 L - 70-300 L - 100 2.8 L Macro

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,602 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Post edited 1 month ago by john crossley.

Jul 18, 2019 01:12 |  #4998

rebop wrote in post #18895608 (external link)
So, today was testing day.

I have Lightroom 6 so no CR3.
Faststone Viewer with a questionable CR3 display.
DPP with CR3
Windows codecs for DNG, etc.

The JPG and DNG look very close in Windows Photo Viewer and very good. Not identical, but very comfortably close and good.
The CR3 in Faststone looks oversaturated, but crisp.
The CR3 in DPP looks great, as does the JPG. But I cannot find a workflow in DPP that comes close to LR. But the crudely edited images look OK.

Now, I convert the CR3 to DNG win Adobe DNG Converter. Import both the DNG and JPG to Lightroom 6.

The JPG looks good! The DNG is soft and very noisy. Nothing I try to remove noise, sharpen, contrast, clarity gets it to look anywhere close to the JPG in LR. Lots of color fringing as well.

I m at a loss what to do as I won't rent Adobe, ON1 does not have CCr3 decoding yet and DPP just does not seem to be a tool I can relate to.

I am amazed how bad the DNG's are in LR6.

I recall others here use and like those results. Anyone using Adobe Converter and LR 6? Working for you? I have to believe that its the DNG converter doing a poor job, but open to ideas.

(And converting to TIF in DPP and importing those to LR creates large files and is a very slow workflow).

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the mentality of people that insist on using outdated software that is unable to process their image files. I just don't get it.

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

crofter
316 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 18, 2019 01:31 |  #4999

I've used DPP since I bought my first DSLR (550D),tried other software over the years including Lightroom,couldn't get on with it,so I've had no probs with CR3 files if I need to process RAWs,most of the time the old Zoombrowser which I use does a decent enough job with Jpegs,most just need cropping,a bit of contrast and bit of sharpening for my use.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Jul 18, 2019 06:07 |  #5000

john crossley wrote in post #18895621 (external link)
I'm sorry, but I don't understand the mentality of people that insist on using outdated software that is unable to process their image files. I just don't get it.

Some of us hate to rent software for more per year than it used to cost to purchase outright. I've bitten the bullet because I like the new files, but the instant someone else decodes CR3 I'm happily kicking Adobe to the curb.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

russbecker
262 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 18, 2019 06:14 as a reply to  @ rebop's post |  #5001

I am amazed how bad the DNG's are in LR6

I don't know about LR6 but I had no trouble processing DNGs in the current version of PhotoNinja, my standard RAW processor. I did not notice any obvious difference between the DNGs resulting from a CR3 file and results from various CR2 files.

I was a bit concerned about turning the demosaicing over to Adobe, but according to the author of PhotoNinja the Adobe DNG converter does NOT do the demosaicing, that is still done by your 3rd party RAW processor. Perhaps LR6 defaults to applying some presets that are camera specific when converting, and doesn't know what to do with the EOS R. I just told PhotoNinja to use 5D4 defaults since the R and the 5D4 have essentially the same sensor.

My gripe is maintaining two sets of RAW files; DNGs and CR3s.

7D2 | 7D | 80D | 40D | 100-400 f/4-5.6 IIL | 300 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IIL | 70-200 f/4L | 135 f/2 L | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2 | 60 f/2.8 macro | nifty-fifty | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Tamron 150-600 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 | Sigma 120-400

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,559 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 18, 2019 09:58 |  #5002

john crossley wrote in post #18895713 (external link)
Capture One and DPP to name but two.

I’d like to see you running them in Linux...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,539 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 18, 2019 11:03 as a reply to  @ post 18895815 |  #5003

Not everyone uses windoze or mac, so, linux, ubuntu, etc are also widely used. I personally use windoze and dpp and batch process from there after correcting all params. Between DPP and PS, colors finally look the same on my monitor. I’ll have to install DPP on my mini, and see if it’s any better/worse/indiffere​nt. :)

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 18, 2019 13:01 |  #5004

tiger roach wrote in post #18894180 (external link)
- I haven't fully gotten used to the control ring on the lens and the bar dealie on the camera body. Still experimenting with what functions to assign to those controls.
- I'm still processing the images, but so far I'm thrilled with the image quality. (This is my first full-frame).

I've just had it for a few weeks. The Control Ring is probably my favorite new feature. I set it to do Exposure Compensation, the thinking being that I could continue to look through the view finder and see the exposure change as I tweaked the exposure compensation with the ring, otherwise you have to pull the camera away and go to the screen to change it, or do manual exposure. Now when I switch off to an EF lens, I'm - dang, now I don't have that control ring available. Still on the fence about the bar dealie, have it set to ISO, tap left for lower, right for higher, pretty handy, but I think I've tweaked it once or twice by accident.

Flickr (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 18, 2019 13:04 |  #5005

Greatly cropped, and someone (me) had a problem hand holding that lens, but it was kind of cool watching these guys scramble up the mountain. They move along pretty quickly, I was jealous.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Flickr (external link)

rebop
519 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 18, 2019 13:48 |  #5006

LonelyBoy wrote in post #18895699 (external link)
Some of us hate to rent software for more per year than it used to cost to purchase outright. I've bitten the bullet because I like the new files, but the instant someone else decodes CR3 I'm happily kicking Adobe to the curb.

Totally agree. Especially when on a fixed income.

Plus Adobe CC takes over NUMEROUS processes and scheduled tasks and phones home incredibly often. And LR6 has worked near perfectly for years with my other cameras (3!) Its only now with the EOS R I even have to consider another solution.

I know have proven (to myself - all that matters :) that DNG conversion has issues and flaws noise, softness, lack of lens correction, etc). DPP does fine with the CR3's, but not sure the solution for me. At very worst, I may have to use DPP to save as TIF and import TIF's into LR. For now...

But two new issues found testing last night. Let me catch up with this thread and I'll post them both.

1DX - EOS R - 6D - G5 X
16-35

rebop
519 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 18, 2019 13:49 |  #5007

russbecker wrote in post #18895704 (external link)
I don't know about LR6 but I had no trouble processing DNGs in the current version of PhotoNinja, my standard RAW processor. I did not notice any obvious difference between the DNGs resulting from a CR3 file and results from various CR2 files.

Unaware of PhotoNinja. Will research today, thanks!

1DX - EOS R - 6D - G5 X
16-35

rebop
519 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 18, 2019 13:55 |  #5008

OK, new issues. I will call Canon CPS today for their take.

1. The images from my EF24-105 L with adapter are MUCH sharper than with RF24-105L. I'm very surprised. But its true.
I can easily hear IS working on the EF, but not the RF. Is that the case for you? Can you hear IS working on the RF24-105? That could be the problem. If not, I am at a loss.

2. With ANY lens, I sometimes can not capture focus. Definitely beyond MFD. Lens does not even try to focus. I have to point away and try a few times and it then responds. The focus points remain RED until it catches back on. I most often see this after changing the focus point selection from single to surrounding, etc, but not repeatable enough to claim that is the cause. Hoping I have missed a setting. Definitely body and not lenses for this one.

1DX - EOS R - 6D - G5 X
16-35

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 18, 2019 14:18 |  #5009

john crossley wrote in post #18895963 (external link)
Not true; the quick control dial changes Exposure Compensation by default once the shutter button has been activated, the same as on any other Canon DSLR.

Did not know that. Tried it, felt a little awkward, so the control ring wins that one. (so maybe posting incomplete info is a good way to learn things eh...)

Flickr (external link)

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Jul 18, 2019 15:00 |  #5010

john crossley wrote in post #18895713 (external link)
Capture One and DPP to name but two.

DPP didn't handle what I wanted.

Now if C1 does now natively support the R that's great news, and I'll go investigate. Last I had checked they didn't.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

sponsored links

640,828 views & 11,179 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.