Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

Cuttlefish
337 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 16, 2020 03:43 |  #6916

white venom wrote in post #18992747 (external link)
I just received my RF 24-70 in the mail, first image I took with it out of the box. Man this is a sharp lens...

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2ifz​po1  (external link) EOSR1592 (external link) by RJ Prusik (external link), on Flickr

Lovely first shot :-)

7D & 450D | Canon 50mm 1.8 II | Canon 24-105L | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Manfrotto 055XPROB & 804RC2 | SpeedLite 430EX II & 2 x YN560 II. Bowens Gemini 500R Studio lighting kit

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
15,595 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 16, 2020 08:31 |  #6917

Dillan_K wrote in post #18991648 (external link)
We're colder than Manitoba, DP? Huh! There's a first time for everything!

We got it. -32 Celsius. With the wind it feels like -43.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
15,595 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 16, 2020 10:08 |  #6918

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18992753 (external link)
I found this incredibly useful, even though I was pretty happy with the touchbar the way I have it set up. After a couple of tweaks from this video, it has really made me like the touchbar for a change.

You may already know all of this. I didn't. Worth watching, IMHO.

Good video. I set the bar up for ISO pretty much right away and since it was so sensitive I set up the lock button for it. I found the bar off/on settings finicky using the bar as described in the video. I may try a few things from that video.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

gce
126 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 16, 2020 10:28 |  #6919

I found this incredibly useful, even though I was pretty happy with the touchbar the way I have it set up. After a couple of tweaks from this video, it has really made me like the touchbar for a change.

Looks like this may be a good solution. I'll try a couple settings when I get home...Thanks!

wxjef
133 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2019

Jan 16, 2020 10:33 |  #6920

So, probably a long shot question but, has anyone modified this thing for astrophotography? By this I mean removed the hot mirror for better red (h-alpha) sensitivity?

Google search has been unimpressive. I know the Ra exists, but I already have the R...

I found a place that would sell me an already modified R for nearly the same price as the Ra.

But so far I haven't been able to locate instructions to attempt it myself, or a service to have it done.

squashed
Goldmember
4,199 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 16, 2020 10:43 |  #6921

Redtail Hawk

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,640 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 16, 2020 11:13 |  #6922

Since I live with auto IS and the configurations under the covers that control it (like shutter speed range, ISO range etc), I actually set up the touch bar for stills for IQ needs. RGB histogram on one end, Eye AF on the other and the slider moves me between full view, 5x and 10x so I can very quickly see the IQ of an image right before capture.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,794 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 16, 2020 12:08 |  #6923

I love the touch bar and this makes it better. Those who do not get it are not worthy of this camera.. lmao

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

Vendee
394 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 16, 2020 13:20 |  #6924

Cuttlefish wrote in post #18992822 (external link)
I haven't jumped into buying one yet as I have two young kids and I still think the camera is too expensive in the UK.

Amen to that my friend. I refuse to pay the extortionate UK price for this camera when its over 50% more than the US price. I hope to get the EOS R this summer but I'll be buying a grey import from somewhere like panamoz.com where the camera is £770 cheaper than official UK prices.

| EOS 6D| EOS 3 |EF 24-105mm f/4L|EF 70-200mm f/4L IS |EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | EF 50 f/1.8 II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Speedlite 430EX II |Pentax MX |Pentax ME Super|Pentax K1000|Kiev 4A|Yashica 24
My stuff:- www.giverin.co.uk (external link)

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 2 months ago by SereneSpeed.

Jan 16, 2020 13:23 |  #6925

The eye AF is so solid on the 1.4.0+ firmware that I've almost become complacent and stopped checking to make sure it's grabbed the eye. So refreshing! This was captured at 200mm f2.8 and out of 13 variations/captures, ranging from tight headshots to full-length portraits, all of them were perfectly in focus.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,982 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 16, 2020 20:20 |  #6926

wxjef wrote in post #18992972 (external link)
So, probably a long shot question but, has anyone modified this thing for astrophotography? By this I mean removed the hot mirror for better red (h-alpha) sensitivity?

Google search has been unimpressive. I know the Ra exists, but I already have the R...

I found a place that would sell me an already modified R for nearly the same price as the Ra.

But so far I haven't been able to locate instructions to attempt it myself, or a service to have it done.

So I know nothing of Astro, do you need a filter? Or do you need to remove something from the front of the existing sensor?
If you just need a filter,. you could use the drop in EF adpater...

Someone at LifePixel did an EOS R infrared conversion, they might be able to help you out.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

wxjef
133 posts
Joined Apr 2019

Jan 16, 2020 21:04 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #6927

Have to remove the hot mirror off the sensor, it requires almost a complete teardown. I'm almost wondering if I should just go for the Ra because one goof up and it's a brick.

In the meanwhile, I can use the standard R but stock it's not very sensitive to emission nebula. The whole idea is to remove the ir hot mirror from the sensor and place a drop in hydrogen alpha filter in front which will really cut light pollution.

I really kind of goofed with my camera purchases this past year lol but I didn't know the astro bug was going to bite again and didn't know the Ra was going to be possible. Also didn't realize how I don't seem to meld with the R (I've always felt as if the camera was better suited on a tripod and or studio).

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
4,143 posts
Gallery: 778 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 17, 2020 14:14 |  #6928

wxjef wrote in post #18993260 (external link)
Have to remove the hot mirror off the sensor, it requires almost a complete teardown. I'm almost wondering if I should just go for the Ra because one goof up and it's a brick.

In the meanwhile, I can use the standard R but stock it's not very sensitive to emission nebula. The whole idea is to remove the ir hot mirror from the sensor and place a drop in hydrogen alpha filter in front which will really cut light pollution.

I really kind of goofed with my camera purchases this past year lol but I didn't know the astro bug was going to bite again and didn't know the Ra was going to be possible. Also didn't realize how I don't seem to meld with the R (I've always felt as if the camera was better suited on a tripod and or studio).

If I were you I'd get the Ra. It also has 30x live view zoom (instead of the standard 10x) for focussing. I'm considering one eventually.

flickr (external link)

wxjef
133 posts
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited 2 months ago by wxjef.

Jan 17, 2020 16:15 as a reply to  @ AnnieMacD's post |  #6929

Seriously considering it. Was thinking about getting a used t5i and try to mod it myself but, while I think I'll be able to do so, not so sure about getting it back together without tape and rubber bands and in working order lol. :eek: Even more so with the stock R as I've been unable to find instructions.

At least the Ra has Canon's blessings... And my birthday is coming up ;-)a

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
4,143 posts
Gallery: 778 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 17, 2020 16:28 |  #6930

wxjef wrote in post #18993656 (external link)
Seriously considering it. Was thinking about getting a used t5i and try to mod it myself but, while I think I'll be able to do so, not so sure about getting it back together without tape and rubber bands and in working order lol. :eek: Even more so with the stock R as I've been unable to find instructions.

At least the Ra has Canon's blessings... And my birthday is coming up ;-)a

Lucky you! Be sure and post some photos when you get it. I would like to get it myself but am also considering getting my old 100D modified or even the 6D. It makes the world (:lol:)) of difference. I think there are couple of places here in the UK that do the mods and are much cheaper than buying a new camera. Everything is a compromise between price, performance, filters, ease of use, etc. I need a tippy screen as much as anything!

flickr (external link)

1,257,478 views & 20,148 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.