Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,858 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined May 2010

Jul 17, 2022 17:57 |  #9196

I've also been debating keeping my R and getting the R7 or selling my R and getting an R5. Overall I'm pretty happy with the R but I do like the idea of 1 camera that can do it all. Going to hold off until later in the year but I'm leaning heavily toward selling my R and 7d2 and getting the R5.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Fuji X100F • Canon EOS R • 7DII • G7XII • RF 16 2.8 • RF 35 1.8 • RF 800 F11 • EF 24LII • EF 50L • EF 100L • EF 135L • EF 16-35L F4 IS • EF 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

markesc
Goldmember
4,525 posts
Gallery: 1960 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 18, 2022 12:59 |  #9197

Tommydigi wrote in post #19405762 (external link)
I've also been debating keeping my R and getting the R7 or selling my R and getting an R5. Overall I'm pretty happy with the R but I do like the idea of 1 camera that can do it all. Going to hold off until later in the year but I'm leaning heavily toward selling my R and 7d2 and getting the R5.

Do this instead: Keep the R for landscapes/low light/slow moving work. The sensor size matters for that stuff.

For birds/wildlife: Get the R7

Now you have TWO cameras, both specialized, and you will have saved yourself roughly $900 or more, depending upon how you do the comparison. Also take into account if you do or do not need the spendier cards/card readers...

Thing is: Full frame + Birds does require longer focal lengths, which, yes, can be had, but - I'd argue that it's much easier/cheaper to cover that gap using the crop sensor > the bigger/often more expensive lens. Sort of 2 paths to get to the same result...

You mileage may vary!! I def DID miss the crop factor for birds in most cases utilizing the full frame... it then becomes a question of: How does one make up for this? What lens and at what costs/compromises? FOR ME: I like the lighter 100-400II with its insane IS, on a crop sensor like the 90d vs. having a heavy front element on a tamron/sigma while using a full frame and maybe an extender. I tried that on a canon 5dmkiv + 1.4xiii for a year... keeper rate increased by going to a "stupid" 70d and bare 100-400ii. I got A LOT Of flac/backtalking by bringing that up online however...  :p

Birding on full frame in my book, becomes kind of a $$$$ game. Are you making money from your work? Could you do just as well with a cheaper body like the R7? Are you really going to need an F4/big white to get the shots you want? How is your approach game?

Those are just some questions among many.

For me personally: I used to always have one crop sensor on a telephoto, and another full frame on the tripod doing a time lapse, this way, you have the best of both worlds. Maybe you end up occasionally doing some lower light bird action and you utilize a hide, or you're dealing with owls or species that allow you to simply be closer, and that will work great on a full frame situation. being that you're in Chicago, I'm guessing you may need the lower light full frame performance more so than say - someone snowbirding it to arizona and getting birds in great light virtually year round. Having done birds in Oregon, I def. understand the idea behind a full frame, BUT, some birds you can totally get away with overcast/evening light and go hand held at 1/50th or slower for a perched great horned owl. So, I guess it depends on what bird photos you sort of envision??? Personally I do a ton of thinking about what shots I want FIRST, and then, I go find them.

Sometimes working backwards is the way to go:

What birds?
Where?
behavior/action?
What kind of light?

Forget the camera completely - pretend you're a painter instead!!

Just know that you DO pay a premium for the one camera that "does it all..." I am going to the "R" only because - we have close to ZERO Birds here where I live... and on the 'one off' situation, I have my highly highly highly under rated 90d - it's like the pesky/annoying mosquito of cameras that pisses people off - I sort of like it for that very reason :twisted::-D:twisted:

https://chrismarkes.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,858 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 18, 2022 13:10 |  #9198

With DSLR's I did the 7d2 for tele and the 5d2 for landscape, or slow moving stuff. While it works well this way I'm a little tired of having a full frame body that has bad autofocus. I'm not doing any of it for money.

Fuji X100F • Canon EOS R • 7DII • G7XII • RF 16 2.8 • RF 35 1.8 • RF 800 F11 • EF 24LII • EF 50L • EF 100L • EF 135L • EF 16-35L F4 IS • EF 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

markesc
Goldmember
4,525 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 18, 2022 15:29 |  #9199

It's all good!!

I think the "R" should "hopefully" have some decent AF for slow moving landscape duty??? I understand moving the focus point around is annoying, so I'm sure there will be some cuss words involved.

One thing I do wish Canon would fix - is the fact that when you start a timelapse, and then you stop it, you then have to go through the entire refocusing effort. Great if you DO have a bright start to use, but, often times, that's not the case, so then you're sort of left with the old style of trial/error.

Oddly enough - When I use my older EF 100-400 - once that sucker is dialed in, it's dialed in - I hope Canon can do some sort of update that would either allow for easier review of your last TL shot without the need to deep dive into some obscure menu OR, a simple button assignment to pause/halt the TL... I went through a ton of frustration with that on my R5 so many times!!

I see the common complaint is the "touch bar" on the R - Any suggestions on what to assign it to? or turn off completely?

Tommydigi wrote in post #19406043 (external link)
With DSLR's I did the 7d2 for tele and the 5d2 for landscape, or slow moving stuff. While it works well this way I'm a little tired of having a full frame body that has bad autofocus. I'm not doing any of it for money.

Dillan_K
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 18, 2022 16:30 as a reply to  @ markesc's post |  #9200

I use the touch bar for ISO. It works fairly well for me. You just have to get used to it.

C ­ Scott ­ IV
I should keep some things to myself!
4,065 posts
Gallery: 697 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 18, 2022 18:20 |  #9201

markesc wrote in post #19406091 (external link)
It's all good!!

I think the "R" should "hopefully" have some decent AF for slow moving landscape duty??? I understand moving the focus point around is annoying, so I'm sure there will be some cuss words involved.

One thing I do wish Canon would fix - is the fact that when you start a timelapse, and then you stop it, you then have to go through the entire refocusing effort. Great if you DO have a bright start to use, but, often times, that's not the case, so then you're sort of left with the old style of trial/error.

Oddly enough - When I use my older EF 100-400 - once that sucker is dialed in, it's dialed in - I hope Canon can do some sort of update that would either allow for easier review of your last TL shot without the need to deep dive into some obscure menu OR, a simple button assignment to pause/halt the TL... I went through a ton of frustration with that on my R5 so many times!!

I see the common complaint is the "touch bar" on the R - Any suggestions on what to assign it to? or turn off completely?

Moving the focus point around didn't bother me when shooting hand held. I can see how it would be a pain for left eye dominant people though. It is odd when switching between the R and a DSLR joy stick or D-Pad.

I turned off the touch bar. Not that I couldn't use it but I just don't need it. I just hit M-fn and scroll for ISO. The control ring would work too.

Charles
In my posts: Sony A7=Canon R7, EF-M 18-150=RF-S 18-150 and RF 15-35L=RF 14-35L
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome.

Michael456
Goldmember
1,002 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Jul 19, 2022 00:30 as a reply to  @ markesc's post |  #9202

Touch & drag just didn't work for me so I used the D-pad to move the focus point. It's a bit annoying that you can move it only up/down/left/right and not diagonally, though (Canon only knows why they didn't use the 8-way D-pad of the XXD series in the R).
I'm left-eye dominant so something was always "in the way" using touch & drag. Plus, I found it annoying that whenever I lifted my thumb off the screen after moving the AF point, the AF point would move ever so slightly. For whatever reason, I rarely managed to take my thumb off the screen without moving the AF point.

I set the touch bar to switching images during image review. That has the advantage that you can switch to the next (or previous) image while zoomed in - something that doesn't work if you use the D-pad.

C&C always welcome

Scottboarding
891 posts
Gallery: 272 photos
Joined May 2016

Jul 19, 2022 09:44 |  #9203

I've officially joined the EOS R club. I've been considering the camera for a while now and my local camera store had a very good deal on a lightly used one. So far I love it! I really missed those Canon colors and my lenses.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52226022857_5353fbaba7_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2nz3​24X  (external link) IMG_0723 (external link) by Scott Carr (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52227031461_488f2cf659_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2nz8​bTF  (external link) IMG_0720 (external link) by Scott Carr (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52227040593_f22898311f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2nz8​eB8  (external link) IMG_0725 (external link) by Scott Carr (external link), on Flickr

Gear: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

markesc
Goldmember
4,525 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 19, 2022 10:58 |  #9204

Nice work!

Looks like AZ NM or TX?

Scottboarding wrote in post #19406375 (external link)
I've officially joined the EOS R club. I've been considering the camera for a while now and my local camera store had a very good deal on a lightly used one. So far I love it! I really missed those Canon colors and my lenses.
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2nz3​24X  (external link) IMG_0723 (external link) by Scott Carr (external link), on Flickr
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2nz8​bTF  (external link) IMG_0720 (external link) by Scott Carr (external link), on Flickr
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2nz8​eB8  (external link) IMG_0725 (external link) by Scott Carr (external link), on Flickr

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,313 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Joined May 2008

Jul 19, 2022 15:43 |  #9205

Tommydigi wrote in post #19405762 (external link)

The introduction of the R7 has made me rethink my camera body path, as well. I previously had a 5D3 & 7D2 combo, with the latter used for wildlife and the former for pretty much everything else. I bought an EOS R a couple of years ago, and was using it most of the time, so I sold my two dSLRs with the thought of upgrading to a R6 or R5 later.

Well, I now think I will just hang onto the R and eventually add an R7 to get back to something similar to the 5D3/7D2 combo that worked so well for me. The only features on the R6 / R5 that attract me are the improved AF and in-body image stabilization. I can live without those, though. The main thing I would be missing would be the almost identical control layouts that the 5D3 & 7D2 provided.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,858 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 19, 2022 16:10 |  #9206

Scott M wrote in post #19406519 (external link)
The introduction of the R7 has made me rethink my camera body path, as well. I previously had a 5D3 & 7D2 combo, with the latter used for wildlife and the former for pretty much everything else. I bought an EOS R a couple of years ago, and was using it most of the time, so I sold my two dSLRs with the thought of upgrading to a R6 or R5 later.

Well, I now think I will just hang onto the R and eventually add an R7 to get back to something similar to the 5D3/7D2 combo that worked so well for me. The only features on the R6 / R5 that attract me are the improved AF and in-body image stabilization. I can live without those, though. The main thing I would be missing would be the almost identical control layouts that the 5D3 & 7D2 provided.

That makes sense when you consider you can get the R and R7 for less than the R5. It's a tough call. Either setup will be a step up and I do like having a crop and a full frame body. Going to take my time with this, I've honestly really enjoyed the Fuji X100F a lot and I've been using that most of the time lately.

markesc
Goldmember
4,525 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 19, 2022 16:10 |  #9207

It's fun having a second body with a telephoto... especially if say you have the R on tripod commited to something, and then you notice some great light on the other horizon, or something else interesting... it's also nice not needing to change lenses

A new "R" is $1599 right now
A new R7 is $1500

So, cheaper than the R5, and you gain a ton in terms of flexibility....

Scott M wrote in post #19406519 (external link)

C ­ Scott ­ IV
I should keep some things to myself!
4,065 posts
Gallery: 697 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 19, 2022 16:30 |  #9208

markesc wrote in post #19406529 (external link)
It's fun having a second body with a telephoto... especially if say you have the R on tripod commited to something, and then you notice some great light on the other horizon, or something else interesting... it's also nice not needing to change lenses

A new "R" is $1599 right now
A new R7 is $1500

So, cheaper than the R5, and you gain a ton in terms of flexibility....

That is how I have been using my R and 80D. The R on the tripod doing long exposure or waiting for light, breeze, etc. and a bird flies in. Works pretty good. Now if I can ever get my R7...

Charles
In my posts: Sony A7=Canon R7, EF-M 18-150=RF-S 18-150 and RF 15-35L=RF 14-35L
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome.

GammyKnee
259 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Joined Feb 2015

Jul 19, 2022 17:14 as a reply to  @ C Scott IV's post |  #9209

Baling time at the local farm:

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52226847061_600808ff78_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2nz7​f5n  (external link) Laying The Egg [ERM_3365] (external link) by Paul Roberts (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52227329905_a5c7f04d34_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com​/gp/dmayrshire/566P9P3​cpG  (external link) ERM_3378 (external link) by Paul Roberts (external link), on Flickr

Formerly Beanie's Dad (account lost in forum update)
Gear: EOS R + R6, assorted lenses, Yongnuo flash

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
2,200 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 19, 2022 18:38 |  #9210

Sunset last night.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Flickr (external link)

2,637,730 views & 30,325 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.