Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,589 posts
Gallery: 328 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 23, 2018 13:40 as a reply to  @ post 18734949 |  #121

My thinking used to be much like yours - IS only matters on long lenses. While I still feel that is where it shines, I have started to see differences between my A7R and my 5D series cameras. The one point is IS still doesn't help if you are shooting kids - you have to have fast shutters. But aside from that, it really is a big help. I get a lot more sharp "keepers" from my Sony body with IBIS than with my 5D4 without. And this is with the same glass - 50L, 85L, 24-70, etc. So having a 50/1.2 IS and a 85/1.2 IS is VERY cool.

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

sponsored links
samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by samueli. (5 edits in all)

Oct 23, 2018 13:46 as a reply to  @ randy98mtu's post |  #122

Even though I had my rant, it still doesn't let Canon off the hook for not trying. I should even retract some of my rant as it adds nothing to the topic. I made my choice of "inhale, focus, exhale, shoot", instead of IBIS, and others made their choice based on their own thoughts and preferences.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited 10 months ago by elitejp.

Oct 23, 2018 14:08 |  #123

Mdvaden
This thread is becoming comical. Youve already in bold letters posted in about 3 different threads and i think started an exclusive thread stating how cool it is that canon lenses have a type of IS in them. Then others start saying that they like ibis and this thread turns to how thats totally not needed.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,238 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 23, 2018 15:05 |  #124

elitejp wrote in post #18735005 (external link)
Mdvaden
This thread is becoming comical. Youve already in bold letters posted in about 3 different threads and i think started an exclusive thread stating how cool it is that canon lenses have a type of IS in them. Then others start saying that they like ibis and this thread turns to how thats totally not needed.

I'm not sure threads like this are as comical as they are sad. You've got people who are apparently both educated and articulate but completely blind to the fact that everyone is entitled to feel comfortable with their own solution. Every option is a good one if it gets you the pictures you want. It's ok to prefer something over another and state the why of it but telling someone else they've got it wrong because their choice is different from yours is another thing altogether.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,805 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 23, 2018 15:37 |  #125

cueball wrote in post #18733605 (external link)
SOOC, Shot in CR3 and transferred to iPhone via CameraConnect, 100-400 II with a 2xIII at 800mm, f11, 1/200, ISO 12,800

Focus is very slow if going from short to long (and vice versa) with this combo. Once you’re in the same range things speed up a bit. It also performed similarly when I was just pointing around the yard and focusing in bright sunlight.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by cueball in
./showthread.php?p=187​33605&i=i115613020
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

I'll take a shot of that white vinegar please... lol

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,805 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 10 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Oct 23, 2018 15:42 |  #126

By the way,

This is supposed to be the EOS R image sharing thread

We have a thread of many pages where it is fair game to discuss features that other cameras have.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,262 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 23, 2018 15:45 |  #127

samueli wrote in post #18734949 (external link)
The IBIS thing really comes out of nowhere for me. I've been camera researching for a few months now, but up until then, it never entered my life as a must have camera feature. Sure, IS on a long lens makes sense. I can also read all the threads on the internet and totally agree with it being a bang-for-buck feature, but it never entered my buying decision making process. I'm not at any kind of disadvantage by not having IBIS. Alternatively, I'm not reliant on the camera to crutch through situations that may not always need a crutch. More is not always better.

I'm wondering if Canon is thinking the same way, that it's not a high return feature. If I where doing serious video with my camera, I would want to choose my gimbal separately from my camera choice.

... SNIP ... .

In the redwoods, I often skip a tripod when bushwhacking due the rugged terrain. We even take just one water bottle and find brooks along the way to save weight. So I shoot hand-held quite a bit. In that case, I found that the IS seemed helpful on a couple of wider lenses between 10mm and 70mm. So for me it's been more useful than not. The 16-35mm is the lens I take to the forest most often.

I've been looking forward to seeing other RF lens samples in this thread, then I realized that some RF lenses haven't been released yet.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 10 months ago by SereneSpeed.

Oct 23, 2018 16:44 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #128

That “and discuss” part... ?

(The photos I’ve taken with it aren’t allowed in this section;-)a)

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by samueli. (2 edits in all)

Oct 23, 2018 18:53 |  #129

Wish these could go into the gallery.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 23, 2018 19:17 |  #130

mdvaden wrote in post #18735099 (external link)
In the redwoods, I often skip a tripod when bushwhacking due the rugged terrain. We even take just one water bottle and find brooks along the way to save weight. So I shoot hand-held quite a bit. In that case, I found that the IS seemed helpful on a couple of wider lenses between 10mm and 70mm. So for me it's been more useful than not. The 16-35mm is the lens I take to the forest most often.

I've been looking forward to seeing other RF lens samples in this thread, then I realized that some RF lenses haven't been released yet.

I find a tripod cumbersome most of the time.

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by samueli. (9 edits in all)

Oct 23, 2018 20:09 |  #131

This biggest negative about the R for me is that it's not a one handed camera. The ergonomics of the 5D series is a dream in comparison; that joystick was placed perfectly. No focus selection option on the R in range of the thumb to replicate that balance. I feel that fact may force me to cut my loses on the R. It takes nice pictures and has some cool options but it doesn't feel like the extension to my hand that I'm used to. Obviously it wasn't meant to compare with the 5D series, but that is what I appreciate most about my other Canons.

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,262 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by mdvaden. (3 edits in all)

Oct 23, 2018 20:41 |  #132

samueli wrote in post #18735280 (external link)
This biggest negative about the R for me is that it's not a one handed camera. The ergonomics of the 5D series is a dream in comparison; that joystick was placed perfectly. No focus selection option on the R in range of the thumb to replicate that balance. I feel that fact may force me to cut my loses on the R. It takes nice pictures and has some cool options but it doesn't feel like the extension to my hand that I'm used to. Obviously it wasn't meant to compare with the 5D series, but that is what I appreciate most about my other Canons.

Wasn't Jared Polin or someone explaining one of the controls could be reconfigured for the focus point to get closer to the one-handed thing you are talking about? If only that extra lens ring could pull back and forth as well as the rotate !!

You mentioned previous you find tripods cumbersome. Were you using a tripod for those two river photos recently posted? The EXIF suggests 8 seconds and 15 seconds, so I'm assuming not hand held.

Were those photos worked with from RAW, or was that JPG?

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by samueli. (5 edits in all)

Oct 23, 2018 20:46 |  #133

mdvaden wrote in post #18735291 (external link)
Wasn't Jared Polin or someone explaining one of the controls could be reconfigured for the focus point to get closer to the one-handed thing you are talking about?

You can use half and quarter quadrants of the screen for point selection, but it's still is a stretch for the thumb. Joystick or DPAD is a more solid control. The reduction in size created limitations in control placement.

If only that extra lens ring could pull back and forth as well as the rotate !!

That would be kind of cool in a masochistic sort of way.

You mentioned previous you find tripods cumbersome. Were you using a tripod for those two river photos recently posted? The EXIF suggests 8 seconds and 15 seconds, so I'm assuming not hand held.

Were those photos worked with from RAW, or was that JPG?

Those where on a gorilla tripod secured to a fence, and RAW. The one following is handheld.

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 23, 2018 21:07 |  #134

One more for the road

HOSTED PHOTO

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,702 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 24, 2018 04:45 |  #135

Dead pixel in my EVF? But its not only in my evf its also in live view on the back screen. I can only see when when I'm trying to focus on a really low light situation. I placed the cap on the lens for ease of viewing. Small dpt next to the circle and it does not show up in my files. Should I wrap it and send it back? What is happening here?

IMAGE: http://i67.tinypic.com/34rskqp.jpg

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

sponsored links

682,402 views & 11,483 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.