Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Nov 2018 (Monday) 13:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

MA Inconsistent

showtm490
927 posts
Gallery: 135 photos
Joined May 2007

Nov 05, 2018 13:21 |  #1

I decided to micro adjust my lenses to my 5DIII today. I dialed in my first adjustments in live view with the camera tethered using the LR shutter. I then took it out of live view to try shooting using the LR shutter but all of my settings were way off front focusing. I then used the camera shutter which made it back focus. I tried multiple shots and it keep changing from front to back focus. I'm using the center point focus, good lighting and my Spyder Lenscal. Any ideas why? It's happening on my Sigma 35mm Art. When I had it on my 5Dc it didn't have this issue and yes I use the dock.

JohnBphotography.net (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Sony A7 III with Grip - Canon 5D3 with Grip - Canon 16-35 f4 IS - Tamron 28-75 f2.8 - Canon 50 f1.4 - Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II - Canon 430EX - Flashpoint XPLOR600 - AB 47' Octa

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 05, 2018 13:36 |  #2

showtm490 wrote in post #18744615 (external link)
I decided to micro adjust my lenses to my 5DIII today. I dialed in my first adjustments in live view with the camera tethered using the LR shutter. I then took it out of live view to try shooting using the LR shutter but all of my settings were way off front focusing. I then used the camera shutter which made it back focus. I tried multiple shots and it keep changing from front to back focus. I'm using the center point focus, good lighting and my Spyder Lenscal. Any ideas why? It's happening on my Sigma 35mm Art. When I had it on my 5Dc it didn't have this issue and yes I use the dock.

You don't MA in Live-view. You do it through the viewfinder.

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,361 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 05, 2018 14:38 |  #3

I'd like to download a great link for this but since Canon removed all their older articles, blogs and videos from their site I can't. I have not tried to find this one on an alternate site. Not that old. I think it was from 2016. I'll see if I can find it.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,601 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 06, 2018 04:50 |  #4

Focus inconsistent is the problem you have identified.

If the lens is focussing inconsistently there is no point in making any MFA adjustments.

The lens may be focussing inconsistently and only with your 5D3 or it may have started recently (ie will now be inconsistent with any body).
It may be your testing which is at fault.

What is "good light" ? Natural light?
Are you aware that the focus points displayed on the focus screen are just approximations of the actual focus points?
Are you shooting wide open? (to eliminate any focus shift)
Have you tried various test subjects?

Dave
Image editing OK

Mathmans
275 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited 5 months ago by Mathmans.

Nov 06, 2018 05:27 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #5

Here is everything one needs to know about calibration:
https://photographylif​e.com/how-to-calibrate-lenses (external link)

Read carefully and do exactly as explained and you will be fine.

And yes; you need to calibrate the focus through view finder and not live view focus.

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,361 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 06, 2018 07:06 |  #6

A member called joeseph found it at another location. Thanks very much for the help.

http://www.courtier.co​.nz …roAdjustGuide_d​esktop.pdf (external link)

Image Editing OK

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,256 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 06, 2018 11:26 |  #7

I just put this up a day or two ago. It won't explain MFA, but if you want an explanation of why you don't use live view, it's in here.

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18743864

Flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,054 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 06, 2018 11:40 |  #8

Mathmans wrote in post #18745082 (external link)
Here is everything one needs to know about calibration:
https://photographylif​e.com/how-to-calibrate-lenses (external link)

Read carefully and do exactly as explained and you will be fine.

And yes; you need to calibrate the focus through view finder and not live view focus.

This is the problem with the method you linked to:

photographylife.com wrote:
Do this at least 3 times, then analyze each image on your camera (you can take it to your computer for analysis, but it takes a long time to go back and forth, so I prefer to do it on my camera instead)

You see, it still requires the photographer to look at the images and decide which is sharp and which is not.

What about people who simply can't get their eyes and their brains to work together to determine what degree of sharpness they are seeing? . Even when zoomed in 100% I often can't tell the difference between a perfectly sharp image and an almost perfectly sharp image and a fairly sharp image. . And my vision is perfect and I don't need glasses. . Many of us need science to give us some absolute determination as to which image is the sharpest, because we lack the ability to tell by looking at the images.

What we need is an MA method that doesn't require us to look at images and make value judgements as to their sharpness ..... some technology that tells us which is the sharpest, instead of making us try to figure it out by analyzing the images. . Anything else relies on a human to make a decision, and is therefore essentially flawed.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,364 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 06, 2018 12:20 |  #9

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18745262 (external link)

What we need is an MA method that doesn't require us to look at images and make value judgements as to their sharpness ..... some technology that tells us which is the sharpest, instead of making us try to figure it out by analyzing the images. . Anything else relies on a human to make a decision, and is therefore essentially flawed.

I have good news. The technology you are looking for exists. I have been using FoCal software from Reikan (external link) for many years to adjust my lenses to my bodies. It has always worked well for me.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,361 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 06, 2018 12:20 |  #10

I have had that link for quite some time. Section 11. I followed that view about when to send something in before I found the article. I've been told many times that I'm nuts to send a lens in that needs +15. That article helped me justify my position on it and I know I'm a minority.

That happened to my 70-200 2.8 II and one reason I got ticked off at Canada CPS. +15 at 200mm. They told me it goes to +20 and sent it back. New Jersey found a mis-calibrated board. Two US Canon support reps told me that MFA is for emergencies only and encouraged me to send that lens in

Of course I'm going top do this if it needs +4. All the lenses I have purchased are under +-5. The higher values are great if you don't want to send it in, a lens known to be bit off or for 3rd party lenses.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,361 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 06, 2018 12:27 |  #11

bpalermini wrote in post #18745292 (external link)
I have good news. The technology you are looking for exists. I have been using FoCal software from Reikan (external link) for many years to adjust my lenses to my bodies. It has always worked well for me.

I'm a FoCal supporter. I've done it manually which usually takes a long time for me as I second guess myself. FoCal does it in minutes and it has matched what I determined doing it manually.

The old battery test is pretty good. I found this the easiest to read. I use more batteries and they are tight to each other. I use spot focus to prevent the normal AF point from picking up the curvature of the battery on either side of centre.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Image Editing OK

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,663 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 06, 2018 14:56 |  #12

I still make and distribute these for $15. It comes apart and stores easily.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Electronics/FocusGenie-GelGenie/i-pt27GDf/1/eed689a7/XL/focusgenie-XL.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Electronics/FocusGenie-GelGenie/i-x3fxQ2s/1/54cdb52e/XL/focusgenie2-XL.jpg

I just have to make sure I have enough distance with the longer lenses, ecause I make sure that target area covers the center AF point, but is small enough that it fits inside the metering circle.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,640 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 06, 2018 19:30 |  #13

I found a free MFA template that's the same concept as what TS is selling. The main difference is that you cut out the template and then have to take some time to paste it on foam-core and then spend more time cutting out. It's a bit of a steeper angle, so it can be hard to determine by the mm what's in focus with zoom lenses. But conceptually, this is the best way to MFA. As to the OP: the 5Dc didn't have live view, so you couldn't have done the same thing (and only trying to adjust MFA by live view will not give you good results since it's about trying to compensate for slight miss-alignment with your AF module in SLR mode). What makes targets like TS's good is that your focus plane is a clear target, and then you can see the diagonal ruler that might show front or back focus. The main caveat with this setup is that you get best results making sure your camera is directly parallel with your target (I make sure my DSLR is level and at the height of the focus target).

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,054 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 06, 2018 20:28 |  #14

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18745396 (external link)
I still make and distribute these for $15. It comes apart and stores easily.

QUOTED IMAGE

I just have to make sure I have enough distance with the longer lenses, ecause I make sure that target area covers the center AF point, but is small enough that it fits inside the metering circle.

But doesn't using that device still require the photographer to look at the images and figure out what is in sharpest focus? . What if someone is incapable of looking at something and being able to tell what is really sharp and what isn't? . How would that kind of person do MA with your device?

I know that my questions may come across as critical and fault-finding, but that is not my intention. . I am genuinely curious about how to use your device (and other similar devices) if you can't look and see what is sharp and what isn't.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Gallery: 1084 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 06, 2018 20:33 |  #15

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18745583 (external link)
But doesn't using that device still require the photographer to look at the images and figure out what is in sharpest focus? . What if someone is incapable of looking at something and being able to tell what is really sharp and what isn't? . How would that kind of person do MA with your device?

I know that my questions may come across as critical and fault-finding, but that is not my intention. . I am genuinely curious about how to use your device (and other similar devices) if you can't look and see what is sharp and what isn't.

I made such a device, speaking for myself, I could see which of the lines on the "ruler" were sharper. I found it easy to compare the relative sharpness of the lines.

sponsored links

5,143 views & 14 likes for this thread
MA Inconsistent
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.