Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 17:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Peak Design Shoulder Strap

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 22, 2018 17:13 |  #1

Looking to replace my neck strap for a shoulder strap. I have been looking at various options. I saw these and hopefully someone can tell me the differences between them.

https://www.amazon.com …design+camera+s​trap&psc=1 (external link)

https://www.amazon.com …design+camera+s​trap&psc=1 (external link)

https://www.amazon.com …=peak+design+ca​mera+strap (external link)

https://www.amazon.com …=peak+design+ca​mera+strap (external link)

Is the Slide just bulkier than the Slide Lite? The leash is not adjustable?

I have caught myself recently using my neck strap and turning it into a shoulder strap. Not comfortable. I know, I know. What am I thinking? Lol. Which is why I am wanting to actually get a shoulder strap. With many on the market hard to choose. I have seen these mentioned, yeah I got suckered into their marketing.

sponsored links
Ah-keong
Goldmember
1,083 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited 10 months ago by Ah-keong. (2 edits in all)

Nov 23, 2018 02:25 |  #2

The leash is kinda of a safety strap where I would add onto the camera body and to say your bag or belt and should the camera fall off the support or slip off the hand, the leash kinda prevents from dropping to the floor. It can double up as shoulder strap if the camera is light, say small to medium mirrorless like m43 and small compact cameras.

The slide is for bigger mirrorless and DSLRs and provide sufficient padding for extra support.

The slide lite is mainly for mirrorless systems and smaller DSLRs and does not provide padding.

Both slide and slite lite comes with a buckle where you can adjust the length of the strap on the fly. The leash is adjustable in the traditional way.... Together with the plate (standard, pro, arca, etc) you can configure as a shoulder strap, sling strap or neck strap...

For heavier camera, I would use it as shoulder strap

https://mirrorlesscomp​arison.com …e-vs-slide-lite-vs-leash/ (external link)

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm Skopar | CV 1,4/58mm Nokton | Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D | DC-Nikkor 105mm f/2D |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,458 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 23, 2018 03:09 |  #3

Have you looked at Black Rapid?

Their straps have a shoulder pad for extra comfort.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,201 posts
Gallery: 779 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 23, 2018 06:46 |  #4

I have the Leash for my Fuji X100F, it’s and very light weight, definitely not meant to be used with a DSLR.

The way I’ve heard it described:

Slide Light- smaller, lighter DSLRs and MILCS, such as the SL1/2, Rebel bodies, Fuji XT3, etc, along with the lighter lenses. Definitely can be used with heavier stuff, but comfort levels will decline due to the strap being thinner width.

Slide- for the biggest kit. Heavy bodies and bulky glass; think 1D and 70-200 f/2.8.

I use my Slide straps with my 600mm lens, 100-400, etc, and I 100% carry cross shoulder. Very comfortable and versatile. For me, it’s the perfect camera strap.

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,270 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 23, 2018 07:17 |  #5

I really like PD straps too. I have the leash and slide but the slide is better for my purposes as the width of the strap distributes the weight over a larger area making it more comfortable. As I said I really like them and still use them but they have not been with their problems. I was an early adopter and suffered a drop due to the defective spring in the clip. This was a well documented recall. Last year while travelling all 3 of my straps suffered a catastrophic breakdown of the rubber on the grip side of the strap and permanently impregnated my travel shirts with sticky gunk. This was a known problem but no large scale recall was issued. The rubber breaks down in very hot and humid climates. It has since been replaced by a silicone-based product. They replaced my straps but offered no compensation for the ruined clothing. This year there was a recall on the anchor loops. Peak Design customer service is top notch but all this to say that they aren't without issues and when buying I would make sure that you are getting a latest generation product.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 23, 2018 10:42 |  #6

Ah-Keong, thanks for that link, helped me a lot.

--

I saw this one.

https://www.amazon.com …&psc=1&smid=ASY​NZAYMQDDXS (external link)

--

Geared toward the slide then.

--

I guess would need to contact the seller to see if it is the newer version.

Thanks guys for the replies.

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,210 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 23, 2018 12:49 |  #7

Between the black rapid and the peak design, I would recommend the PD. (I replaced my black rapid with the peak design). The PD is very well designed with a few small details that just make a difference for me. E.g. one side of the slide is rubberized and the other is silky smooth. Depending on the mode you are in this helps to either keep the camera in place or let you slide the camera easily to your eyes or back on your back. I personally also like the system with the anchors much more then the attachment of the black rapid. YMMV

Donate if you love POTN

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 23, 2018 14:11 |  #8

I ordered the PD strap. Thanks everyone for the input.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 24, 2018 02:12 |  #9

Failed to mentioned that the blue strap is the old design. The black and ash are the only colors that are with the new design as nqjudo mentioned.

sponsored links

2,021 views & 2 likes for this thread
Peak Design Shoulder Strap
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.