Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 27 Nov 2018 (Tuesday) 10:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Finally wanting to calibrate monitor

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,222 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 27, 2018 08:33 |  #31

firme wrote in post #18778733 (external link)
Lyndon, thanks for the help. The monitor being used is stationary, hopefully that would help some how as it is not moved. Perhaps this is already covered in the manual, but should one reset the monitor to factory settings or does the hardware calibrate to what the monitor is already adjusted by user?

As you mentioned will have to print to see what a difference it made. Thanks again.

It’s been a while since I started from scratch (re-calibration is quicker), but I think you just answer a few questions about your monitor like what adjustments are available, and it’ll walk you through anything you need to adjust when you’re doing the calibration. It’s pretty straightforward, just do what it tells you to do on the screen and you can’t really mess it up. The longest part is just sitting and waiting on it to read all of the various colors it will flash on the screen for the colorimeter to read.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links
firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 27, 2018 08:39 |  #32

Thanks, Lyndon.

ericbowles
21 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2017

Dec 31, 2018 06:09 as a reply to  @ post 18778733 |  #33

For calibration, you want to turn off the automatic adjustments such as ambient light sensors and "eye-saver modes" that increase blue light to reduce eye strain.

The two settings you need usually are asked about are Gamma and Brightness. Normally you would use the default settings suggested by the software. For Gamma, you would use 2.2. Brightness is a relative scale on your monitor and you usually need to adjust it manually to reach the brightness setting or range required. For most monitors a setting of 100-110 works well, but I have had monitors that needed to go darker.

There are a series of tests for monitor color, evenness, and other factors. The color calibration is important, and the others generally less important and can be used or not. Color calibration works with a series of bright rectangles and squares in different colors under the sensor. You just put the sensor on the screen as indicated and the software does the rest. Leakage of reflected light or ambient light can affect the calibration, so you want to minimize the impact of external light - at least blocking strong direct light.

There are test patterns in the software so you can judge calibration for face tones, different shades, etc. I find the software is very good. I use the Datacolor Spyder, but ColorMunkie is also a good option. Some of the reports show where it is out of gamut compared to sRGB and AdobeRGB. I save my previous calibration profiles. You can always revert back to an earlier profile, or even the default for the monitor.

I don't think the calibration process is hard, and there are tutorials and videos to help. Initially it is unfamiliar which can be a challenge, but after calibrating two or three times and finding it works, you'll be pretty comfortable.

Eric Bowles
Director - Nikonians Academy
Workshops and Private Instruction
www.bowlesimages.com (external link)

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 31, 2018 09:40 |  #34

Thanks for the detailed explanation ericbowles. Being that it is my first time calibrating period, the thought of it sounds intimidating. But as you said, once I get familiar with it, it will be easier for me.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited 10 months ago by Alveric.

Dec 31, 2018 14:01 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

Check your monitor manual before attempting calibration, so that you know where the controls you need to push/pull are, and can find them quickly. Basically, calibration will require you to: adjust brightness, adjust gamma, and dial in the values for the RGB channels. Some basic monitors do not allow this last operation, however. Thus, check the manual first.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 06, 2019 11:16 |  #36

Thanks Alveric. Had to download the manual... as you can tell a very old monitor. Lol. Although tempted to get a newer one though, quite a few years with this one. Was wanting to get a dual monitor set up.. but perhaps will wait to get two of the same. This old monitor still has some life in it.

Sapre
33 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Jan 26, 2019 08:46 |  #37

I just changed my second monitor and the colour difference between the two is remarkable! New one seems much more ‘natural’ especially in the blues

If possible id like to avoid buying yet more gear, so what do people think of scanning several images covering most colours and then adjusting the screen until it matches the photos?

Would it be a reasonable calibration to bring colours more or less in line?

I should add that i dont do any commercial work and rarely print

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,222 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited 9 months ago by Lyndön.

Jan 26, 2019 23:53 as a reply to  @ Sapre's post |  #38

That would only match your two monitors together, using the one that looks best to you as a standard. It would not make them match anyone else’s calibrated monitors, a printer profile, etc. Adding in a random photo that’s scanned is just compounding the problem IMO, but might be close enough if you’re just doing this as a hobby and are happy with the results.

If not, you don’t really need an expensive one, the Colormunki smile is $84 at B&H, so not too bad as far as photo equipment goes. You can try eBay for a used older model, but check that it’s still compatible with your operating system beforehand.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

2,901 views & 6 likes for this thread
Finally wanting to calibrate monitor
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.