Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Jan 2019 (Friday) 03:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Focus Points

TheLaird
Goldmember
2,230 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jan 04, 2019 03:38 |  #1

One thing I have never taken any notice of is Focus Points. I only ever use single point focus/focus lock or manual focus. I shot mostly statis objects but also a lot of sport (rugby). I do not seem to miss focus as there are other reasons my shots are poor.

How important are focus points to you?

Illegitimi non carborundum --- as they said in Roman times ---

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,374 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 04, 2019 05:29 |  #2

TheLaird wrote in post #18784112 (external link)
One thing I have never taken any notice of is Focus Points. I only ever use single point focus/focus lock or manual focus. I shot mostly statis objects but also a lot of sport (rugby). I do not seem to miss focus as there are other reasons my shots are poor.

How important are focus points to you?

Very important, it's where the camera will actually focus.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,047 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 04, 2019 06:34 |  #3

It's easy to dimiss the importance of focus points, until you have a camera with an enhanced focusing system. I started with the original digital rebel, 40D, 5D, 5DII and I always douns ways to make it work. But it was work and the keeper rate was not particularly high.

Last spring I bought a used 1DIII and it was a revelation, not only were there more points to chose from, but the outer point to were more reliable. Recently I picked up a IDx and it's a focusing miracle. The 61 points means I can select with great precision or I can unleash some pretty amazing multi point options

So if you get the chance to upgrade to a body with advanced focusing options, do it.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,680 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited 11 days ago by ejenner.

Jan 04, 2019 22:36 |  #4

Agree, very important. With modern AF and lenses I can use Al Servo for pretty much everything and take bursts if I'm using a shallow DOF. Especially sports or birding, being able to use an outside focus point and thus position the subject is very nice. Having to use the center point and always cropping, I lost a lot of shots but not getting the composition I had in mind.

I used to shoot rugby with manual focus FD lenses, but my skills and eyesight are not good enough for that anymore.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

TheLaird
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,230 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 05, 2019 05:24 |  #5

I have 5d3 7d2 etc so they are capable. All I am saying is that is use center point focus only. I know what I want to focus on and re-compose to suit.

Perhaps it takes me a bit longer to do what I want to.

I was only enquiring.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,236 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 05, 2019 09:52 |  #6

Focus re-compose is not the best option and it only works in One Shot. Both cameras are are poor? Maybe some samples with EXIF of your what you think is poor. It could be something else. Same lenses showing poor performance on both bodies? Needs MFA?

http://www.outbackphot​o.com …hnique/essay06/​essay.html (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

TheLaird
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,230 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 05, 2019 12:55 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #7

Poor composition mostly. Nothing a camera can fix !!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,047 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 05, 2019 13:47 |  #8

TheLaird wrote in post #18784855 (external link)
I have 5d3 7d2 etc so they are capable. All I am saying is that is use center point focus only. I know what I want to focus on and re-compose to suit.

I was only enquiring.

You can lead a horse to water. Try using the tools you have.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 10 days ago by Wilt.

Jan 05, 2019 17:31 |  #9

digital paradise wrote in post #18784967 (external link)
Focus re-compose is not the best option and it only works in One Shot. Both cameras are are poor? Maybe some samples with EXIF of your what you think is poor. It could be something else. Same lenses showing poor performance on both bodies? Needs MFA?

http://www.outbackphot​o.com …hnique/essay06/​essay.html (external link)

Certainly agree 'not the best option'.
OTOH, I find it hard to believe that so many photographers using SLRs during the 60's thru the late 80's had such suboptimally inferior and unacceptable results with their centered focus aids! ;-)a

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ejenner
Goldmember
3,680 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 05, 2019 23:39 |  #10

TheLaird wrote in post #18784855 (external link)

I was only enquiring.

Yes, certainly I didn't mean to be 'aggressive', just saying it is very important to me. You did say that you didn't feel they were necessary for you so we should take your word for that.

I think you will find that for most people they are important, especially once they have used cameras like the 5DIII and 7DII (as opposed to say a 5DII or 6D).

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

graham121
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 05, 2019 23:59 |  #11

Wilt wrote in post #18785285 (external link)
OTOH, I find it hard to believe that so many photographers using SLRs during the 60's thru the late 80's had such suboptimally inferior and unacceptable results with their centered focus aids! ;-)a

Not only that we had to focus everything manually too!

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 10 days ago by Wilt.

Jan 06, 2019 00:02 as a reply to  @ graham121's post |  #12

...not to mention, only 2 fps with a motor winder

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,236 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 06, 2019 01:31 |  #13

TheLaird wrote in post #18785058 (external link)
Poor composition mostly. Nothing a camera can fix !!

Poor by who's definition? We learn the rules about composition and then we learn how to break them. Your photos are your art. If you don't like what you are doing there are courses and tons of info on the web about composition. Worry about getting the composition and the story the photo is trying to tell. I'll take a slightly OOF shot that is interesting over a sharp boring shot any day.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,371 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 06, 2019 05:03 |  #14

Wilt wrote in post #18785285 (external link)

I used cameras of that era. Big bright viewfinders with great focusing screens and lenses with focus rings that were so much better than modern AF lenses.
I prefer the modern bells and whistles but when they fail and I resort to manually focusing I miss the old tech that made MF so easy.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1DX2, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

Pictoraider
172 posts
Joined May 2016

Jan 06, 2019 06:26 |  #15

john crossley wrote in post #18784160 (external link)
Very important, it's where the camera will actually focus.

- In evaluative/matricial/m​ultizone metering, the focus point(s) do ponderate the metering if ponderation is not - when permitted via options menu - inactivated by user.
- In case, the spot measing zone is possibly attached or not to one focus point, the position of this specific focus point on the frame is not neutral.
- When using flash, flash exposure metering is depending on where the focus point(s) are at the very moment of pressing the shutter release to the end. If you change the composition of your image before taking flash pictures, it's recommanded to memorize the flash metering you did on the main subject.
- In manual focus mode, because of the lack of focus point position in the frame, evaluative/matricial/m​ultizone metering fonction is often replaced by center weight metering...depending of camera.

"Constructive criticism always appreciated."

sponsored links

1,394 views & 7 likes for this thread
Focus Points
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.