Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Jan 2019 (Friday) 13:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hmm. Have we seen the end of EF/EF-S lenses?

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,658 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 04, 2019 13:37 |  #1

Interesting article. Looks as if Canon is moving resources to deliver RF lenses at least for the remainder of 2019. It mirrorless takes off, could we have seen the end of the EF lens line?
https://petapixel.com …ely-on-rf-in-2019-report/ (external link)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
3,116 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 12 days ago by nqjudo.

Jan 04, 2019 13:40 |  #2

This is also from the article and video:

"Burnhill does note that Canon isn’t abandoning its EF lenses, but is instead just ignoring it for a year to focus entirely on mirrorless. There’s still an internal lens roadmap for upcoming EF lenses that will be announced after 2019."

Ultimately consumer demand will decide so it is a question mark more than anything else right now I guess.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,231 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined May 2007

Jan 04, 2019 13:42 |  #3

Yes, WHEN mirrorless takes off I believe we will see EF & EF-S mounts becoming an unsupported thing of the past. Especially when one considers the benefits of RF mounts with the R mirrorless.

It's all pretty exciting but I need to see another couple iterations of Canon mirrorless and RF lenses before I jump into their mirrorless world. I was considering flipping to Fujifilm mirrorless, but now I am patiently waiting to see what else Canon releases.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

gjl711
THREAD ­ STARTER
54,658 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 04, 2019 14:37 |  #4

It does look as if Canon is taking the RF mount much more seriously than the they did the M mount. They have what, 8 M mount lenses total after 7 years?

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,091 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 04, 2019 14:57 |  #5

It seems that Canon put quite some development into the new RF lenses (https://www.lensrental​s.com …-the-canon-rf-50mm-f1-2l/ (external link)) and don't just adjust EF lenses to the new format. Quite impressive and also helps to explain why they have to focus.

Donate if you love POTN

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,986 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005
Post edited 11 days ago by ed rader.

Jan 04, 2019 22:04 |  #6

"Burnhill does note that Canon isn’t abandoning its EF lenses, but is instead just ignoring it for a year to focus entirely on mirrorless. There’s still an internal lens roadmap for upcoming EF lenses that will be announced after 2019."

Translation: "in a year or so our complete migration to mirrorless will be obvious, accepted and even applauded by most current Canon DSLR owners. those angered by our abandonment of the DSLR can switch to Nikon as they struggle to stay afloat"

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

ed ­ rader
22,986 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 04, 2019 22:11 |  #7

Naturalist wrote in post #18784411 (external link)
Yes, WHEN mirrorless takes off I believe we will see EF & EF-S mounts becoming an unsupported thing of the past. Especially when one considers the benefits of RF mounts with the R mirrorless.

It's all pretty exciting but I need to see another couple iterations of Canon mirrorless and RF lenses before I jump into their mirrorless world. I was considering flipping to Fujifilm mirrorless, but now I am patiently waiting to see what else Canon releases.

exactly canon's plan to stop the bleeding

5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

ed ­ rader
22,986 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 04, 2019 22:24 |  #8

From canon rumors:

Rumoured RF lenses for 2019:
•RF 16-35mm f/2.8L (or similar)
•RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS (or similar)
•RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS (or similar)
•RF 105mm f/1.4L
•RF 85mm f/1.8 IS STM
•RF Macro lens
•RF non-L kit lens

with these, all I need is the body

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,938 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 04, 2019 23:10 |  #9

i have a hard time imagining all their next body releases being RF only though...i mean, they have to do a lot more improvement on FPS if they are going to release a 1DXII replacement in a RF mount

so i don't think they are necessarily done...it's just that they have most all bases already covered with something in EF already

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

ed ­ rader
22,986 posts
Joined May 2005
Post edited 11 days ago by ed rader. (2 edits in all)

Jan 04, 2019 23:36 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #10

I sure wouldn't buy a body that doesn't use Canon's best lenses. I think you'll see a 1dxII mirrorless successor at the 2020 Olympics as well as a couple of white primes (possibly DO) in RF mount.

gjl711
THREAD ­ STARTER
54,658 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 05, 2019 00:55 |  #11

ed rader wrote in post #18784688 (external link)
"...Translation: "in a year or so our complete migration to mirrorless will be obvious, accepted and even applauded by most current Canon DSLR owners. those angered by our abandonment of the DSLR can switch to Nikon as they struggle to stay afloat"

That's kind of what I was thinking. A year is a long time. With DSLR sales continuing their slide, if mirrorless takes off,there is another announcement in 2020 stating that Canon is taking a year off of EF lens development to concentrate on RF lenses. :):)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 11 days ago by Wilt.

Jan 05, 2019 01:50 |  #12

gjl711 wrote in post #18784408 (external link)
could we have seen the end of the EF lens line?
https://petapixel.com …ely-on-rf-in-2019-report/ (external link)

Only if Canon is stupid enough to think that all the EOS mount dSLRs and film SLRs ever sold will suddenly result in no additional EF mount lenses sold because EOS mount camera owners lose all desire to buy anything but used lenses.

...or the buying public actually does something unexpected like only choosing to buy used lenses to fit their EF mount cameras.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,938 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 05, 2019 03:42 |  #13

ed rader wrote in post #18784733 (external link)
I sure wouldn't buy a body that doesn't use Canon's best lenses. I think you'll see a 1dxII mirrorless successor at the 2020 Olympics as well as a couple of white primes (possibly DO) in RF mount.

i don't use canons best lenses now so i'd be fine with a body that doesn't support them...i want a new body that supports the lenses i've already invested in...i just can't imagine canon not introducing another EF mount camera in the next year...they are due for so many cameras...a new 7D, a new 80D succesor, i thought mirrorless would mean better FPS, the fact that their first real mirrorless is at 5.5 is so weak...my 40D that collects dust does better than that...i think they'll come out with a 90D, and a 7DIII in the next year, and i don't think they'll be mirrorless mounts

2020 is a long ways away to wait for a camera that can do better fps than my 12 year old camera

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,043 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 11 days ago by TeamSpeed. (12 edits in all)

Jan 05, 2019 07:03 |  #14

There will be at least one DSLR announced in 2019, possibly 2. Those were already in R&D years earlier, and they aren't going to hold off the announcements just because a few members think DSLRs are dead. The only announcement was about EF lenses, not DSLRs. It makes sense, Canon has a WIDE array of lenses, and 3rd party glass is now so good, it is hard to find a new EF lens design that would be profitable.

This EF slowdown has already happened in fact, this is why Canon keeps coming out with MKII and MKIII of lenses, or one stop slower versions of older faster versions. There have been very few new EF designs in the past years, mostly redesigns of the same lenses, and some of those were lackluster releases at best. Had nothing to do with mirrorless cameras... all Canon is doing is moving those engineering resources to look at RF lenses.

If a = b, and b != c, then a cannot equal c, but that is what is happening here, many keep using the transitive property and saying a = c.

a = "Canon is taking 2019 to concentrate on RF lenses"
b = "Mirrorless development is in full swing"
c = "no DSLR announcements ever again"

As we approach 2021 to 2022, then you will see more from Canon, and the consumer market, moving to all mirrorless/RF, and then we see the end of DSLRs.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,727 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 05, 2019 07:28 |  #15

ed rader wrote in post #18784733 (external link)
I sure wouldn't buy a body that doesn't use Canon's best lenses. .

Canon's best lenses cost over $10,000.
I don't use those lenses because I can't afford them. So it doesn't matter if the body I use works with Canon's best lenses or not.
I think that the vast majority of interchangeable lens camera buyers are in the same position when it comes to using Canon's best lenses - they are way out of reach.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

4,634 views & 115 likes for this thread
Hmm. Have we seen the end of EF/EF-S lenses?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.