Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 13 Jan 2019 (Sunday) 20:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

High School Lacrosse

Pipernails
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 13, 2019 20:21 |  #1

Hi,

I've been shooting lacrosse at the lower levels for the past few years, but will be shooting JV/Varsity lacrosse for the first time this spring. I would appreciate any advice, suggestions, and recommendations regarding equipment, field position, etc.

I shoot with the 300mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, Canon 1DX Mark II

Do you think the 300mm is long enough? I also shoot football and am debating upgrading to the 400mm. Thoughts?

I am also debating getting a second body. I've been renting but may have to bite the bullet. Any recommendations for purely sports?

Thanks so much!

Laura

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,292 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 14, 2019 01:42 |  #2

Is this for fun or professional? If the former then buy whatever you want/can afford. If it is a business buy what you need.

Most large wire services and some media require that you have a 400 2.8. So, if they are your clients going forward then you need one. If your clients are parents, a league, teams or other local businesses that are already happy with the images you produce then there isn't going to be any financial benefit from buying a bigger and more expensive lens.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

duckster
660 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Joined May 2017

Jan 14, 2019 11:53 |  #3

Are the games during the day or at night?

Pipernails
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 14, 2019 20:47 as a reply to  @ duckster's post |  #4

During the week, late afternoon or early evening. On the weekends, during the day.

pat.kane
685 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 17, 2019 21:52 |  #5

I shot a lot of lacrosse as it was my son's sport all the through high school.

If I only shot lacrosse I'd probably buy the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 and never give it a second thought as to whether a 400mm lens was better; however, since I shoot all field sports on a full-frame camera I own the 400mm f/2.8. I prefer to shoot tight and I feel the 400mm is a little long at times as sometimes the best action near the net is captured with a slightly wider viewpoint.

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

sfinkernagel
427 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 03, 2019 10:00 |  #6

Although there is action all over the field, a lot of the play in lacrosse centers around the goal, to maybe 30 yards out. I find a few locations that work. Surprisingly, midfield will probably allow decent shots of both end with your 300. I shoot from there often, as there are a lot of plays where the offensive players will come from behind the net, or spin... allowing shots that capture their faces. If the 300 isn't quite reaching as far as you would want... just cheat 10 or 20 yards towards the goal you favor. There may be a little cropping, but that's not the end of the world. Or- you can get in the corner by a goal and get the action from just that end. 300 is probably a good length from there, but you'll have all the issues at various times... sometimes, they will be too close to you (try to shoot tight on faces then) and sometimes, they will be pretty far when the play is near the other sideline. Behind the goal line is good to, if you can get there.

All that being said... In a perfect world, I'd prefer something a little longer. Day games, the 200-400 is great, and I often use the built in teleconverter to push that a little longer. Night games, the 400 2.8 rocks.

Long story short... you can make that gear work.

Good luck!

Madisonmike
61 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 03, 2019 13:32 |  #7

OP have you made any decisions on gear? I am assuming the season has kicked off at this point and you are active. After shooting a few games myself in this realm I am debating new gear as well. My 70D is not up to the task. I get good shots, but nothing I would call great.

Mike
Sony A7III,
Sony FE 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS
Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70 F4 ZA OSS

sponsored links

889 views & 0 likes for this thread
High School Lacrosse
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.