Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 08 Feb 2019 (Friday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Exposure difference in Manual

ssracer
Goldmember
1,855 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 08, 2019 11:20 |  #1

Been a long while since I’ve been on the forum. Most of my photography over the years has been still subjects. Then I met my fiancé and her twins who play basketball and I started really enjoying shooting their games. So much so that in the past few months I’ve upgraded from a 70D to a 7D Mark II and a used 70-200L IS 2.8 and I love the combination.

I shoot in RAW and use manual mode for their games. Typically I am shooting at ISO 4000, f2.8, with a shutter speed of 400, white balance set to flourecent and using high speed burst with AI servo focus.

I have managed to capture some really nice shots, but something has been bugging me. Shooting with these same settings, all the pictures in a burst should be matched for exposure and color, but they aren’t. Take these three photos for example. These are unedited, just brought into Lightroom and exported to jpeg. Both are one right after another from the same burst.

Just looking to understand what could be happening here. Thanks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

- Sean
my gear
my flickr (external link)

sponsored links
DutchCorps
225 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 08, 2019 11:34 |  #2

Hi Sean,

I'm not an expert but does this effect also show in different light, like outside? I'm thinking in that direction because fluorecent light is flickering (50Hz) by nature. My 1DxII has an anti flicker setting. I never used though and also never experienced the above. Maybe this helps?

Cheers,
Rene.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,235 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 08, 2019 11:45 |  #3

DutchCorps wrote in post #18807184 (external link)
fluorecent light is flickering (50Hz) by nature.

not that it matters but it's 60hz here in the states, but yeah, that looks like the problem.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,075 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 08, 2019 11:51 |  #4

Not only did the exposure drop but the white balance is affected as well. Another sign of light cycling

DutchCorps
225 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 08, 2019 11:53 |  #5

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18807189 (external link)
not that it matters but it's 60hz here in the states, but yeah, that looks like the problem.

Europe is always behind you guys :-)

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,353 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 08, 2019 12:01 |  #6

Yes, many older lighting systems have a flicker problem but the good news is that your camera body has a function to let you know it is happening and minimize its effect by turning on the anti-flicker function. HERE (external link) is a good article about it.

You might also want to raise your shutter speed some. Most of us would want 1/800 as a minimum for high school basketball, even higher for college and beyond to get sharp photos.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

ssracer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,855 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 08, 2019 12:28 |  #7

Thanks everyone. Didn’t even think about the fact that fluorescent lights flicker. That makes perfect sense. I’ll definitey check out that anti flicker function. Obviously it’s nothing I couldn’t fix in post, but it’s a bit of pain not being able to use about the same settings on all the pictures.

I’ll also look at bumping the ISO and shutter speed, although I haven’t had many issues at 400 or 500.

- Sean
my gear

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,032 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 11, 2019 09:27 |  #8

Yes, those are cycling lights and you can get a full stop difference in lighting depending on the cycle. And a lot of color shift. It is what it is. I haven't shot any newer Canon's like the 7D mk II, but some cameras fix the problem in body when rendering JPEGs.

Ironically the only real what to fix the problem is to shoot at a lot slower speed, like 1/60th or less, so that the camera captures a full lighting cycle. Doesn't help with basketball though - does it.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,263 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 days ago by TeamSpeed.

Feb 11, 2019 13:43 as a reply to  @ Croasdail's post |  #9

The newer Canon cameras actually try to fix the issue by slightly changing when the shot is actually captured from when you hit the shutter, by watching where the cycling lights are in their cycle, called flicker control. It is not a fix after the shot is taken.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,032 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 11, 2019 21:09 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #10

But often you will have only a part of the frame that is impacted.... how does it do that pre capture? just wondering....

I have a ton of shots where 1/3rd the frame has a magenta hue and the rest is exposed properly

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,263 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 11, 2019 21:33 |  #11

I am not sure, but I never have a frame that is unevenly lit, either due to shutter speeds and/or flicker detection, or both.

https://support.usa.ca​non.com …307&cat=CAMERAS​&actp=LIST (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

ssracer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,855 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 13, 2019 07:19 |  #12

Just finished editing my first game photos since this thread and turning the anti-flicker function on in the camera. All the pictures were evenly lit and balanced. I definitely noticed some lag in the shutter speed when shooting so I knew it was working, but it’s going to take a little getting used to. Thanks again everyone! Love this forum, need to start getting back on here more often.

- Sean
my gear

DutchCorps
225 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 2 days ago by DutchCorps.

Feb 13, 2019 10:33 as a reply to  @ ssracer's post |  #13

Thanks for the feedback always nice to hear :-)
Cheers,
René.

sponsored links

231 views & 2 likes for this thread
Exposure difference in Manual
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.