Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Feb 2019 (Sunday) 08:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

gear gurus make me want to scream!!

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,034 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 10, 2019 08:27 |  #1

Long story short, I told someone online that I felt the need to have my crop camera as well as my full frame because I felt I was getting better images of wildlife at distance from the 7DII than my 5DIII cropped. I can print very large from the 7DII with sharp images etc. He claims no one needs a crop sensor because a cropped full frame image is no different from a crop camera image. Cropping a 5DIII image to match a 7DII image in its view for me makes the image soft. If I could afford a 50 megapixel full frame with 10 frames per second it would be a different matter. If i can get close then yes the 5DIII is a better choice but not if I have to heavily crop. Why cant these guys get it into their skulls that this is my experience of MY situation
vmad

5D3 7D2 Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass and the odd shot with other brands
https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)

sponsored links
Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Gallery: 979 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 10, 2019 08:38 |  #2

Internet forums are like that. Lot's of people who think they know everything. I wouldn't worry overmuch about it, just be polite. If you are correct, try to supply references; if one makes a mistake, apologize and back off.

On an aviation forum, an aircraft mechanic posted something based on his assumption that "ammonia is acidic". It was amusing to see him argue with a chemist about how ammonia changes the pH in water, even when the chemist showed pictures of pH test strips.

aladyforty
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,034 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 10, 2019 08:40 |  #3

Capn Jack wrote in post #18808281 (external link)
Internet forums are like that. Lot's of people who think they know everything. I wouldn't worry overmuch about it, just be polite. If you are correct, try to supply references; if one makes a mistake, apologize and back off.

On an aviation forum, an aircraft mechanic posted something based on his assumption that "ammonia is acidic". It was amusing to see him argue with a chemist about how ammonia changes the pH in water, even when the chemist showed pictures of pH test strips.

was on a utube video, I have explained my reasons but he keeps adding more and more technical advice. Which I dont need. :-)

5D3 7D2 Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass and the odd shot with other brands
https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)

Hugo ­ Schnabel
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Feb 2019

Feb 10, 2019 10:12 |  #4

At the risk of sounding similar to your YouTube friend, why would a crop of the same physical size from the 5D3 be more soft than the image from the 7D2 if taken with the same lens and settings? The 7D2 will have a small advantage from a resolution perspective and also the effects of the AA filter on the sensors could be slightly different but that should be all.

flickr (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 10, 2019 11:52 |  #5

Ignore him. He's entitled to his opinion but not to your attention.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Alveric
Goldmember
4,583 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 10, 2019 13:28 |  #6

Capn Jack wrote in post #18808281 (external link)
...just be polite.

Yup, just tell him "I decline the invitation to join your hallucination".

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,652 posts
Gallery: 314 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited 4 days ago by Archibald.

Feb 10, 2019 13:51 |  #7

Hugo Schnabel wrote in post #18808334 (external link)
At the risk of sounding similar to your YouTube friend, why would a crop of the same physical size from the 5D3 be more soft than the image from the 7D2 if taken with the same lens and settings? The 7D2 will have a small advantage from a resolution perspective and also the effects of the AA filter on the sensors could be slightly different but that should be all.

It was the personal experience of aladyforty. Observation trumps theory.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,652 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 10, 2019 13:53 |  #8

aladyforty wrote in post #18808275 (external link)
Long story short, I told someone online that I felt the need to have my crop camera as well as my full frame because I felt I was getting better images of wildlife at distance from the 7DII than my 5DIII cropped. I can print very large from the 7DII with sharp images etc. He claims no one needs a crop sensor because a cropped full frame image is no different from a crop camera image. Cropping a 5DIII image to match a 7DII image in its view for me makes the image soft. If I could afford a 50 megapixel full frame with 10 frames per second it would be a different matter. If i can get close then yes the 5DIII is a better choice but not if I have to heavily crop. Why cant these guys get it into their skulls that this is my experience of MY situation
vmad

People's opinions are often strongly affected by confirmation bias.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Hugo ­ Schnabel
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Feb 2019
Post edited 4 days ago by Hugo Schnabel.

Feb 10, 2019 14:01 |  #9

Archibald wrote in post #18808471 (external link)
Observation trumps theory.

Observation or believe? Care to provide a physical explanation like I did in my post or do you prefer to leave the discussion on esoteric level? :-)

flickr (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,652 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 10, 2019 14:20 |  #10

Hugo Schnabel wrote in post #18808477 (external link)
Observation or believe? Care to provide a physical explanation like I did in my post or do you prefer to leave the discussion on esoteric level? :-)

What you said supports Julie's observation.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,209 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 days ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Feb 10, 2019 14:23 |  #11

The issue amounts to 'pixel density'...number of pixels per millimeter, and their contribution to 'detail resolution'.

If the FF sensor has the same pixel density as the APS-C sensor, there will be NO ADVANTAGE to bringing along the APS-C camera; leave the APS-C at home
If the FF sensor has lower pixel density as the APS-C sensor, there will be ADVANTAGE to bringing along the APS-C camera.(and leaving the FF at home)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Hugo ­ Schnabel
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Feb 2019

Feb 10, 2019 14:24 |  #12

Archibald wrote in post #18808496 (external link)
What you said supports Julie's observation.

If what I said supports her observation my grip on English language is even worse than I thought because I meant to kindly doubt that observation and explain why...

flickr (external link)

sidknee
Goldmember
1,272 posts
Gallery: 612 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 10, 2019 14:24 |  #13

Hugo Schnabel wrote in post #18808477 (external link)

All other things being equal a 5DIII image cropped to the same field of view as a 7DII image is only 9 or so Mp whereas the 7DII image is still 20Mp. That's a lot more pixels on target

Hugo ­ Schnabel
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Feb 2019
Post edited 4 days ago by Hugo Schnabel. (2 edits in all)

Feb 10, 2019 14:27 |  #14

sidknee wrote in post #18808500 (external link)
All other things being equal a 5DIII image cropped to the same field of view as a 7DII image is only 9 or so Mp whereas the 7DII image is still 20Mp. That's a lot more pixels on target

... which is why I mentioned the resolution advantage of the 7D2 in such crop situation in my original post. But I would not characterize the image out of the 5D3 as "softer" due to that.

flickr (external link)

sidknee
Goldmember
1,272 posts
Gallery: 612 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 10, 2019 14:31 |  #15

Hugo Schnabel wrote in post #18808502 (external link)
... which is why I mentioned the resolution advantage of the 7D2 in such crop situation in my original post. But I would not characterize image out of the 5D3 as "softer" due to that.

Depends on the level of magnification you are looking at it I suppose? You're right though, softness is a function of lens rather than pixel count.

sponsored links

841 views & 20 likes for this thread
gear gurus make me want to scream!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.