Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 25 Apr 2019 (Thursday) 12:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Personal Info and Metadata Removal

leeport
817 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 25, 2019 12:22 |  #1

I have been tasked to complete several logos for a customer. He has sent me images that he wants in the logo. I am merging them in Photoshop 5.1 and adding text bla bla.

My problem is that after I make him a .png, or a .jpeg file, if I right click and click "properties", then details, all of my personal information is there. My name as the Owner, my Computer Name, the folder path I have them in.

I have clicked on "Remove Properties and Personal Information" in the dialog box. Doesn't work.

I have saved the file in Photoshop under "Save for Web and Devices" and made sure the "metadata is set to None" Dosen't work.

I have changed the name of my computer and Owner in the Registry on my computer. The data is still there.

I have changed the Administrators name from mine to a generic one. Data is still there.

Does anyone have an other ideas?

thanks!

sponsored links
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,744 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited 11 months ago by gjl711.

Apr 25, 2019 12:45 |  #2

Hmmm. That should have done it. But you can always use something like the JPEG & PNG Stripper (external link) tool.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Archibald
You must be quackers!
10,074 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited 11 months ago by Archibald.

Apr 25, 2019 14:15 |  #3

An incredible amount of info is included in the EXIF of JPGs. It is understandable that you might want to control that, but Adobe makes that difficult. You can control what is there using exiftool.

https://sno.phy.queens​u.ca/~phil/exiftool/ (external link)
https://stackoverflow.​com …ut-recompressing-the-jpeg (external link)
http://www.linux-magazine.com …from-Photos-with-exiftool (external link)

I am not familiar with JPG & PNG stripper as referenced by gjl711, but it looks interesting.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Damo77
Goldmember
4,646 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 25, 2019 17:23 |  #4

FastStone Image Viewer has a function for this. In the Tools menu. Worth a try.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
10,074 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 25, 2019 20:04 |  #5

Damo77 wrote in post #18851513 (external link)
FastStone Image Viewer has a function for this. In the Tools menu. Worth a try.

Looks like FastStone will remove ALL the EXIF. Exiftool can be configured to be more selective. For instance, you can remove ID and processing steps metadata but leave camera setting data alone.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

leeport
THREAD ­ STARTER
817 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 26, 2019 07:08 |  #6

FastStone worked. Thanks for all the great responses fellas. I sure do appreciate it!

pulsar123
Goldmember
2,145 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 27, 2019 17:47 |  #7

+1 to exiftool - you get full flexibility. Here is my Bash script (used under Cygwin, under Windows) which I always use to prep my images for microstock sites. It retains only a few basic facts (I am not ashamed to show to buyers which camera and lens were used :) ), and strips away everything else. The original file is preserved with a new name (__name).

#!/bin/bash
# Stripping most of exif information from the input image, retaining only specified tags.

# Argument: image name

\cp $1 __$1 >/dev/null

exiftool -all= -TagsFromFile __$1 \
-ISO \
-Model \
-LensID \
-LensModel \
-ApertureValue \
-ExposureTime \
$1

\rm __$1 $1_original >/dev/null

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

Archibald
You must be quackers!
10,074 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 27, 2019 22:31 |  #8

pulsar123 wrote in post #18852445 (external link)
+1 to exiftool - you get full flexibility. Here is my Bash script (used under Cygwin, under Windows) which I always use to prep my images for microstock sites. It retains only a few basic facts (I am not ashamed to show to buyers which camera and lens were used :) ), and strips away everything else. The original file is preserved with a new name (__name).

#!/bin/bash
# Stripping most of exif information from the input image, retaining only specified tags.

# Argument: image name

\cp $1 __$1 >/dev/null

exiftool -all= -TagsFromFile __$1 \
-ISO \
-Model \
-LensID \
-LensModel \
-ApertureValue \
-ExposureTime \
$1

\rm __$1 $1_original >/dev/null

What is Bash script, and how is it used with exiftool?

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sjnovakovich
221 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 28, 2019 06:28 |  #9

When you right click the file, you are not seeing properties of the image itself, but rather the properties of the file. The file properties are set by the computer. If you create a word file and right click it, you will see similar information. I think that there is software out there that will allow you to edit those properties.

Steve Novakovich
www.SteveNovakovich.co​m (external link)

sponsored links

687 views & 1 like for this thread
Personal Info and Metadata Removal
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.