Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Mar 2006 (Thursday) 11:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Q & A with Balliolman: 3D/Stereo Photography

Balliolman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 04, 2008 12:12 |  #16

Uhland wrote in post #5043155 (external link)
I bought a package that is supposed to teach you how to correct your eyes and stop needing glasses. Im nearsighted. Anything to not wear glasses right?
Anyway, The focusing you do in to view this is one of the exercises in the package.

Is it helpful? Dunno.
Didnt work for me because it also required that you stop using your glasses.
I can not drive and otherwise function properly without mine.

I am not medically qualified so could not comment. Suffice to say if you can focus on a screen within 2-3 feet you should be able to freeview ...

Balliolman
Stereoshooter
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/balliolman/ (external link)

Want to know more? Q. & A. with Balliolman: 3D/Stereo Photography https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=150661

DReb; Canon 50 f1.8; Canon 28-135 IS; Loreo LIAC(T); Flashtrax; Canon 17-40 L; Manfrotto 055 PRO B tripod; Canon 28mm 2.8; Whibal
Need: Primes; Would like: Canon 5D;

sponsored links
Gethin
97 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 18, 2008 08:09 |  #17

hi,
great write-up... i've messed around with stereo photography before, however generally on things close-up. i've recently seen some fantastic landscape photography in stereo here on the Potn stereo thread, and i'm heading to Nepal next week so would like to give it a go there and see if i can capture the Himalayas in stereo.

Any suggestions or tips? i guess i'll be working in large steps rather than mm or cm movement. is there rules and guidelines for how much to move?

cheers

EOS 7d - EOS 400d gripped + 50mm f1.8 + 90mm Tamron macro + Sigma 10-20mm + Tamron 28-75 f2.8

Balliolman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 18, 2008 11:39 |  #18

I would advise you to read around stereophotography sites and learn what you can. If you have specific points I'd be happy to talk about them in detail.

One general rule of thumb is your stereobase - side distance between shots - should be 1/30th distance between you and the nearest feature in the stereo. At the wide bases you may use, the result will be a lot of cropping, as only small area of each image will feature in each so take that into account when framing.

Anaglyph format will probably serve your needs better rather than pairs.

Get back to me should you need to consider specifics, otherwise I'd like to see your eventual stereos. :D

Balliolman
Stereoshooter

Want to know more? Q. & A. with Balliolman: 3D/Stereo Photography https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=150661

DReb; Canon 50 f1.8; Canon 28-135 IS; Loreo LIAC(T); Flashtrax; Canon 17-40 L; Manfrotto 055 PRO B tripod; Canon 28mm 2.8; Whibal

internationalmanofmystery
80 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 14, 2009 23:27 as a reply to  @ Balliolman's post |  #19

Has anyone used twin Canon 405Ds in a stereo setup? What was the lag between the cameras? I'm wondering whether an SLR Shepherd is necessary or will a wired remote to both cameras give accurate enough sync?

Rollei Hy6 + Leaf Aptus II 12 digital back
www.graham-mitchell.com (external link)

Balliolman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 15, 2009 12:37 |  #20

Twinned Dslrs have been effective with the Lanc Shepherd but the rig is big, cumbersome and of course expensive: the cost of doubling up in L glass would be prohibitive for many.

Times have overtaken the Lanc Shepherd with the introduction of Stereo Data Maker with synchronisation now measured in 1000ths of a second -- more than capable of freezing the motion of drops of water hitting a surface and fragmenting!

Balliolman
Stereoshooter

80 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 15, 2009 13:15 |  #21

Balliolman wrote in post #8113893 (external link)
Twinned Dslrs have been effective with the Lanc Shepherd but the rig is big, cumbersome and of course expensive: the cost of doubling up in L glass would be prohibitive for many.

Times have overtaken the Lanc Shepherd with the introduction of Stereo Data Maker with synchronisation now measured in 1000ths of a second -- more than capable of freezing the motion of drops of water hitting a surface and fragmenting!

Thanks for responding! Yes, I read about SDM but it seems to only apply to certain p&s cameras. I will be shooting poster ads so I am hesitant to use something like even the G9, which seems to be the best camera compatible with SDM.

Here are the points which cause me to be reluctant but perhaps you can put my mind at rest?

1. Matching the focal lengths on 2 P&S cameras exactly doesn't sound easy.

2. I'm not sure if you can lock in manual focus on these cameras.

3. To sync with a flash unit I assume you would still need something like the Magic Flash? (see http://www.ledametrix.​com/magicflash/index.h​tml (external link))

4. So-so image quality, but that is a matter for me to decide. I hope that the anaglyph will help mask some of the IQ issues.

80 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 15, 2009 15:20 as a reply to  @ internationalmanofmystery's post |  #22

After some more reading on SDM it seems you can lock/control focus but I'm still finding no information about syncing an external flash.

sponsored links

11,125 views & 0 likes for this thread
Q & A with Balliolman: 3D/Stereo Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.