Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 11 Jun 2019 (Tuesday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ball head suggestion

J ­ R ­ Mohan
320 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 11, 2019 02:54 |  #1

Looking for ball head which may safely take 300mm f/2.8 L II lens with Extender 1.4x. Please suggest.

Thanks

Jai.

sponsored links
SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,283 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 11, 2019 08:59 |  #2

I'm sure you'll have a few other suggestions, but the one that I own and love and suggest is RRS BH-55 LR.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,383 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 11, 2019 09:50 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #3

I also would recommend the BH-55.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 11, 2019 16:29 |  #4

Personally I would not recommend a ball head for that lens as I have one!

However, if it must be a ball head, the SIrui K40x does a very good job and will hold considerably larger lenses such as my 800 F5.6 L IS.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

peter_n
Goldmember
2,449 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 12, 2019 07:37 |  #5

I've gone through the Arca-Swiss Z1, RRS BH-55, and finally landed on the FLM CB-48FT on the heavy duty front. The Z1 doesn't do well when it's raining, the BH-55 had an apparently malfunctioning friction control, and so far the CB-48FT has been great. There are three models of the CB-48; CB-48F, CB-48FT and CB-48FTR. The F models have a friction control that works really well, the FT models have that plus a tilt control, and the FTR has an additional dual lock design that uses two separate knobs to control the movement of the ball and the panning base. All the CB-48 models have a load capacity of 99lbs.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

~Peter

J ­ R ­ Mohan
THREAD ­ STARTER
320 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 12, 2019 21:47 |  #6

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. Will help me lot in making decision.

Jai.

sawsedge
792 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 12, 2019 23:14 |  #7

I have used an older model Kirk BH-1, Arca Swiss Z1, and now a FLM CB-48F. A friend has the RRS BH-55. Many love the Sirui K40x.

All are strong enough to handle your 300mm.

The Kirk BH-1 friction control didn't work well, but if you don't care, it's a great solid head. Never had any problems.

I got the Z1 to have better friction control, but found it didn't work well in rain or cold weather. Otherwise, great head.

The FLM CB-48F is the best head I have ever used in any category. Strong, smooth, great ergonomics, works the same in any weather, excellent friction control and unlike every other ballhead I've seen, it has almost zero shift during lockdown. It is super precise. I can't see myself buying any other brand ever again.

- John

goalerjones
633 posts
Gallery: 101 photos
Joined May 2018
Post edited 3 months ago by goalerjones.

Jun 12, 2019 23:23 |  #8

I've been using this one for over a year now, not too expensive but holds 66lbs.
Desmond Demon DB-44 44mm Tripod Ball Head Arca/RRS Compatible w Pan Lock & DAC-X1 Clamp

https://www.amazon.com …3&creativeASIN=​B00TQ54CZO (external link)

fotopaul
556 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Jun 13, 2019 14:36 |  #9

FLM does make good ball heads, I had the FLM-48FTR as well, a great ball head. Never did use the tilt function much though.

The one thing that is annoying on the FLM-48FTR is the locking of the panning knob, it has a way to long throw which means you have to turn it several turns to fully lock/unlock.

The K40X which I also had and the K30 and K20 is my least favorite its build quality is questionable and the rubber gets sticky and loose over time also the sweet spot on the K40X is not as easy to find as on the K30X

Just about any ball head from RRS, Arca Swiss, FLM will do the job, of course, cheaper stuff will work as well, maybe not at the same level and not as long but work never the less.

Instagram (external link)
Blog (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 30, 2019 14:13 |  #10

The only ballhead I’ve used that didn’t eventually creep was the RRS bh-55.

fotopaul
556 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Jun 30, 2019 14:54 |  #11

rick_reno wrote in post #18886296 (external link)
The only ballhead I’ve used that didn’t eventually creep was the RRS bh-55.

So all ball head except the BH-55 will creep even though you locked them down ?

Yeah right...

Blog (external link)

sawsedge
792 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 30, 2019 18:17 as a reply to  @ fotopaul's post |  #12

My Kirk BH-1, Arca-Swiss Z1, and FLM CB-48f have never, ever crept. I had the Kirk head for over 11 years without a single problem.

- John

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,972 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 1 month ago by Bianchi. (4 edits in all)

Aug 23, 2019 08:51 |  #13

Interesting no one mentioned the Acratech GP >> Kirk, RRS & FLM are all excellent manufactures, but in my personal opinion a fluid head is the best of two worlds, Stills and Video.. You just need to know how to set them up properly, and once you use one set up properly you may ask yourself, why have I been using a ball head for so long.

My Gear flickr (external link)

fotopaul
556 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Aug 23, 2019 12:16 |  #14

A video head takes up A LOT more space than a ball head, especially if you're using a quality one. The one used in the video is ok, but certainly not the best quality we had to replace two of them... before giving up on the poor pan lock.

Blog (external link)

sponsored links

838 views & 3 likes for this thread
Ball head suggestion
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.