Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Jul 2019 (Friday) 21:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RF lens on EF body

Kingnog
310 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 12, 2019 21:25 |  #1

I see a lot of info about using existing EF lenses on new RF bodies with adapters - but is it possible to use the new RF lenses with old EF bodies? If not, is it because there are currently no adapters, or is it physically impossible?

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,172 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 8 days ago by TeamSpeed.

Jul 12, 2019 21:30 |  #2

It's physically impossible, the mount would have to be inside the camera, and the mount electronics would pose a problem.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

Kingnog
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 13, 2019 09:50 |  #3

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18892723 (external link)
It's physically impossible, the mount would have to be inside the camera, and the mount electronics would pose a problem.

Ok, thank you!

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,456 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Jul 14, 2019 16:32 |  #4

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18892723 (external link)

That doesn't stop every dimbulb in the world using Amazon Questions to ask if an RF35 can fit on a T2i.

:rolleyes:

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,172 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 15, 2019 14:53 as a reply to  @ LonelyBoy's post |  #5

The typical rebel buyer wouldn't really know the answer, they just see Canon lens and since the rebels accept both EF and EFS, I could see someone drawing the conclusion that RF should fit.

Another reason people go to cell cameras, no need to worry about lenses and the fact that you may have to sell and buy lenses over again if you switch bodies. :(

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,101 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 15, 2019 16:15 |  #6

Actually, it might be possible but you would need an adapter that contains additional optics to do so. So any advantage you would gain from the higher quality RF lenses would be eliminated with the optics needed to make things work. Not worth it I would think.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,172 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 15, 2019 17:17 |  #7

gjl711 wrote in post #18894203 (external link)
Actually, it might be possible but you would need an adapter that contains additional optics to do so. So any advantage you would gain from the higher quality RF lenses would be eliminated with the optics needed to make things work. Not worth it I would think.

The 28mm flange distance of an EF camera (or whatever it is) would make the RF lens act like it is on a macro converter tube already, thus blowing out any kind of infinity focus. Adding yet another adapter with more distance and then to shrink the image back down again with optics would not provide any kind of usable image nor get anything into focus. Canon did their homework in making this design such that RF cannot be used on their DSLRs or on their M series. :(

CallumRD1
424 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 16, 2019 21:20 |  #8

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18894232 (external link)
The 28mm flange distance of an EF camera (or whatever it is) would make the RF lens act like it is on a macro converter tube already, thus blowing out any kind of infinity focus. Adding yet another adapter with more distance and then to shrink the image back down again with optics would not provide any kind of usable image nor get anything into focus. Canon did their homework in making this design such that RF cannot be used on their DSLRs or on their M series. :(

gjl711 was correct. With the right choice of optics, it would be possible to adapt a 20mm flange distance RF lens to a 44mm EF body, but would significantly degrade the image quality. It could actually be done with only two elements in a 4f configuration but the aberrations would be terrible. Entirely impractical and not worth even considering. But possible.

Canon EOS R | EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM • RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro • RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,172 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 days ago by TeamSpeed. (9 edits in all)

Jul 16, 2019 22:08 |  #9

CallumRD1 wrote in post #18894961 (external link)
gjl711 was correct. With the right choice of optics, it would be possible to adapt a 20mm flange distance RF lens to a 44mm EF body, but would significantly degrade the image quality. It could actually be done with only two elements in a 4f configuration but the aberrations would be terrible. Entirely impractical and not worth even considering. But possible.

And the vignetting would be terrible and infinity focusing would be impacted. So if the results are terrible and nobody would buy this, then it is "impossible", because no manufacturer would waste R&D funds on such a project.

Also, the fact that the RF lenses use different AF protocols with different pinouts also complicate this and make the functionality of the lens impossible or greatly reduced with an EF/EFS body.

So the answer to "but is it possible to use the new RF lenses with old EF bodies" is still "no, it is impossible to physically mount an RF lens to an EF/EFS body" because there is no physical way to do it and there won't be a good future product that can do this.

Can we physically get to Mars in 3 days? One person would say "No, it is impossible to do so", while someone else would say "we could invent a space folding quantum engine and yes we could get there almost instantaneously". One person would be absolutely correct, the other might be correct but only time will tell.

gjl711
55,101 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 16, 2019 22:19 |  #10

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18894984 (external link)
...So the answer to "but is it possible to use the new RF lenses with old EF bodies" is still "no, it is impossible to physically mount an RF lens to an EF/EFS body" because there is no physical way to do it and there won't be a good future product that can do this.

But that doesn't make it impossible, that makes it impracticable. Very different things. I agree though that no one in their right mind would want to do such a thing as it's not worth it, but if you really had the inkling, you could put something together and make a RF lens mountable to a EF mount.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,172 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 days ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Jul 16, 2019 22:22 |  #11

gjl711 wrote in post #18894987 (external link)
But that doesn't make it impossible, that makes it impracticable. Very different things. I agree though that no one in their right mind would want to do such a thing as it's not worth it, but if you really had the inkling, you could put something together and make a RF lens mountable to a EF mount.

No, it is impossible to mount an RF lens to an EF body. It is physically impossible AND there are no adapters to do it.

You are saying that it may be possible in the future should someone decide to take up the work and funds to develop a way. You are correct, somebody could try, but you are answering a question that wasn't asked, at least how I read the original post.

Kingnog wrote in post #18892722 (external link)
I see a lot of info about using existing EF lenses on new RF bodies with adapters - but is it possible to use the new RF lenses with old EF bodies? If not, is it because there are currently no adapters, or is it physically impossible?

I could be misunderstanding the question I guess.

If the question was...

I see a lot of info about using existing EF lenses on new RF bodies with adapters - but is it possible to use the new RF lenses with old EF bodies? If not, is it because there are currently no adapters, or is it physically impossible? Could a manufacturer eventually develop an adapter that would allow this?

Then yes, you have the correct answer, but I think the IQ would be so bad, the lens wouldn't behave on the camera and it would be a manual focus lens, we wouldn't have infinity focus, and vignetting would be terrible, and thus no, this will never exist. But hey, I hope I am wrong on all counts, I would love to use even more lenses on my 5D4. :)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,420 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 16, 2019 22:24 |  #12

gjl711 wrote in post #18894987 (external link)

If such an adaptor does not exist right now, then it is impossible. . Just because something COULD be possible someday, or WILL PROBABLY BE possible, once something is made, does not mean that it is possible now. . And the OP asked if it IS possible, not if it WILL BE possible.

Team Speed was absolutely and unequivocally correct with his logic in post #9. . Any argument to the contrary defies logic and reason.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,639 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 17, 2019 00:28 |  #13

Putting the RF lens on an EF body is similar to putting a Canon FD lens on an EF body...the presence of added optics would degrade the performance of the lens and make the RF-to-EF adapter as unpopular as an FD-to-EF adapter -- possible but not commercially popular.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

gjl711
55,101 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited 4 days ago by gjl711.

Jul 17, 2019 08:30 |  #14

Wilt wrote in post #18895042 (external link)
Putting the RF lens on an EF body is similar to putting a Canon FD lens on an EF body...the presence of added optics would degrade the performance of the lens and make the RF-to-EF adapter as unpopular as an FD-to-EF adapter -- possible but not commercially popular.

Exactly, and not wise either. I guess to be totally accurate, it would be possible, but no one has done it today so if you need one today, it's not possible. I mean seriously, I've seen a F16 engin adapted to a delivery van. :):) As long as it complies to the laws of physics, it's possible and eventually someone out there will try it. :):):)

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/2695/4414896023_a29ce68781_b.jpg

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,671 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 17, 2019 09:04 |  #15

The RF lenses are too long on the body end to allow focus at or near infinity on an EF body, even if an adapter were made. The shorter the focal length, the more range from infinity on down that you would lose.

You'd probably need a translating electronics, too, to control aperture and AF, if the R bodies sense lens type (RF vs EF) and switches language; IOW, the EF body may not be able to talk to the RF lens at all with just pass-through conductors.

sponsored links

612 views & 8 likes for this thread
RF lens on EF body
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.