Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Aug 2019 (Sunday) 14:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

100L2.8macroIS focus

pcs
I suddenly feel very old
2,514 posts
Gallery: 1715 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 25, 2019 14:45 |  #1

It seems I've worn out my macrolens.It's 8 or 9 years old and I started to get more and more unexplained missed focus. The lens would not autofocus past a certain point without help but now I see that with manual focus the ring turns but the distance scale does not always move with it. Looks like it's slipping. Anybody else had this?
I'm going to send it in for repair if it's not to expensive.

sponsored links
Pigpen101
Goldmember
1,197 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Aug 25, 2019 15:04 |  #2

I have the non L version and this is where I'm at now. There are thin ribbons (wired) running the length of the lens and they are known to break. I get an error code telling me the lens cannot communicate with the camera. My ribbon has broke completely & cannot even use it with manual focus.

Next step is to send to CPS & get a quote. A new one is $600, and a new L is $750 so depending on quote whether or not I get it repaired.

I've been "substituting" for it with my 85mm F/1.8 and a set of extension tubes. Surprisingly I get really good results with this combo.

iroctd
294 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 25, 2019 15:13 |  #3

Sounds like the tension ring part of the USM assembly has came loose. It is a simple fix but Canon will sell you a complete new USM assembly.

-Feedback-

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,203 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 25, 2019 15:21 |  #4

time to put it on ebay and buy a new lens. you'll most likely make out better that way

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

Pigpen101
Goldmember
1,197 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Aug 25, 2019 16:14 |  #5

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1509501

pcs
THREAD ­ STARTER
I suddenly feel very old
2,514 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 25, 2019 23:35 |  #6

Pigpen101 wrote in post #18916369 (external link)
I have the non L version and this is where I'm at now. There are thin ribbons (wired) running the length of the lens and they are known to break. I get an error code telling me the lens cannot communicate with the camera. My ribbon has broke completely & cannot even use it with manual focus.

Next step is to send to CPS & get a quote. A new one is $600, and a new L is $750 so depending on quote whether or not I get it repaired.

I've been "substituting" for it with my 85mm F/1.8 and a set of extension tubes. Surprisingly I get really good results with this combo.

It's not this problem, it's mechanical. No error just slipping while turning focus ring.

pcs
THREAD ­ STARTER
I suddenly feel very old
2,514 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 25, 2019 23:39 |  #7

iroctd wrote in post #18916380 (external link)
Sounds like the tension ring part of the USM assembly has came loose. It is a simple fix but Canon will sell you a complete new USM assembly.

That sounds like my problem, how simple is simple? Something I can try?
We have no Canon repair centre, only shops approved by Canon to repair for them.

iroctd
294 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 26, 2019 06:12 as a reply to  @ pcs's post |  #8

Usually pretty simple though don't attempt without JIS screwdrivers (link below). I would say start slowly disassembling the lens and stop if you don't feel comfortable.

What I've found is you can access the USM motor, even change it out without messing with the optical assembly.
Use your phone or another camera to thoroughly document the process. The idea is if you know all the orientations of the parts and keep track of the screws so you can back track through your photos (reassembly).

You would begin at the mount. I own one and looking at it there appears to be the outer barrel part with the switches and then you have the focus ring part which will interface the usm. I would suggest the deeper reach JIS screwdrivers since the screws might be recessed like on 70-200s.

https://www.amazon.com …_asin_title?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

When unscrewing the screws, put some force into the screw to keep it engaged to the head. Some will be tight and you'll need just as much force in as turning. Once you hear a little snap like click, you know you've broken it free of the thread locker. Your worst fear will be stripping a head so take care.

The USM is all the way at the top of the lens seen by the distance scale window. Once you remove the outer lens parts and see the USM, you can check that tension ring to see if it is still glued in place. If it is loose you can fix it with a small amount of epoxy in 3 places like factory and not have to remove it. Which is good because removing it means realigning the focus arm which isn't a big deal but can be tricky for first time disassembly.

For the screws, I take a fresh piece of card stock letter size paper and make a sketch of the lens to show which part i'm working on and use double sided tape to stick the screws to it by their head. Also noting how many screws there are. I do this for each set of screws so it also serves to document the order of removal to aid in reassembly.

Another tip is to look at the parts available on ebay. They show you the individual parts and sometimes views from the parts catalog. It helps to get a idea of what is involved. Just make sure you're looking at the L parts since Canon made a regular 2.8 also.
https://www.ebay.com …40&_nkw=canon+1​00mm+macro (external link)

Lastly, it would be handy if anyone knew of a parts catalog for this lens?

In this reference photo of a 70-200 2.8, you can see the silver ring below the main silver part, that is the loose usm tension ring. The 3 screws in the black parts are what hold the usm motor to the optical assembly. You can see the thread locker on their heads. Just a idea of what you'll be working with.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-Feedback-

pcs
THREAD ­ STARTER
I suddenly feel very old
2,514 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 26, 2019 08:35 as a reply to  @ iroctd's post |  #9

Thank you for this explanation, I already own those small screwdrivers but I'll have to collect some courage to start disassembly.:lol:

iroctd
294 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 26, 2019 08:49 as a reply to  @ pcs's post |  #10

Excellent. I ran out of time earlier but wanted to get you started the right way. At the lens mount, there are the 4 screws that hold the metal mount on. And there are 2 small screws perpendicular to the mount contacts. These hold the electrical contact plate plus the contact plate has a plastic alignment tab.

The order of removal (if possible) is to remove the rear grommet that surrounds the last element you see from the rear. On some lenses this has flocking on it. You can either take a very small flat blade screwdriver and pry where it meets the edge of the contact plate or use your finger or thumb to pop it out. If neither way works, you can remove the 6 screws mentioned and gently pull away the mount plate to get access to the plastic tabs that hold this grommet in place. Once the mount, contacts and grommet are out of the way, you can go further into the lens and also see what you're working with.

That grommet sometimes has that translucent blue glue that Canon uses which can make it difficult. There is no need to re-glue it back in during reassembly.

---
Ribbon cables can go in various ways. Most cables have a slide lock or simply push in to place. For slide lock, you want to evenly push both ends out toward the ribbon cable. It will stay attached but overall movement is about 2mm give or take. Then you can pull out the ribbon cable.

The push in cables, I just use my fingernails to grip the little detents built into the cables to rock them in or out rather than a push in or out. Seems to go better with rocking it side to side.

Lastly, there are many youtube videos for various Canon lenses and while they arent't your lenses, you can glean a lot of useful information of what you'll encounter and how to do it.

Let me know if you need help. Oh and I just had a idea. If you want a trial run, grab a kit lens 18-55 or some other cheap lens off of ebay and do a full tear down. You won't need to worry about whether it survives but it might be better than going into the L first.

-Feedback-

pcs
THREAD ­ STARTER
I suddenly feel very old
2,514 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 26, 2019 09:55 as a reply to  @ iroctd's post |  #11

Don't know when I have the time and the guts to try but I'll let you know!

pcs
THREAD ­ STARTER
I suddenly feel very old
2,514 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 27, 2019 14:39 |  #12

Turns out my micro screwdrivers are PH or PZ so ordered a set of JIS, probably this weekend before I start.

pcs
THREAD ­ STARTER
I suddenly feel very old
2,514 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 02, 2019 12:40 |  #13

Well, I tried but it looks a bit different inside than I expected.

After removing the mount and the PCB(first the outside plastic after removing the part with the switches) I didn't see the USM assembly, looks like to get there I have to remove part of the optics and there I chickened out and put it back together. It works but AF is slipping more and more.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

(I think my phone's sensor needs a clean...)

iroctd
294 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 02, 2019 16:23 as a reply to  @ pcs's post |  #14

Well it is good you made the attempt. The top part on your second photo is the IS unit. There might be a screw or two under the rubber focus grip that would release the focus ring and that would give you a better view. Also on the second photo, that little silver part just north of the distance window is the arm that the USM motor uses to actuate focus in the lens assembly. You were close but I'm glad you stopped and only went as far as comfortable. Other lenses are easier and simpler inside.

-Feedback-

pcs
THREAD ­ STARTER
I suddenly feel very old
2,514 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 03, 2019 01:03 |  #15

I looked at a few video's online of other lenses and there it looked simple(could not find one of this lens), if I had thought about it I'd have realised the usm would be beneath the focus-ring:oops: . From the front there are several screw's locked with red sealant and from the back it became to complicated. If I have to mess with optics and alignment it's way over my head but maybe I'll try again after a good look under the focus ring.

sponsored links

1,036 views & 1 like for this thread
100L2.8macroIS focus
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.