Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Jan 2020 (Wednesday) 13:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Desktop Images

Tronhard
646 posts
Gallery: 302 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2020
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tronhard. (3 edits in all)

Jan 15, 2020 13:51 |  #1

Long gone (for me) are the days when I printed large images and had them framed. Leading a nomadic life for many years, and the cost of changing prints left me to seek other ways to enjoy what I had shot.

Back in my film days, one either had prints in albums that often gathered dust in closets, or produced transparencies that were shown on occasion as slide shows to help people who needed the sleep. With the digital age I see a trend to publish on line, be it on image sites or social media. But since I wanted to be able to see the images I liked on a day-to-day basis I quickly adopted the idea of using them as my desktop background, once that capability was available.

So, the point of this thread is to see if others do the same thing, and if so, what kinds of images they feel lend themselves to this specific purpose. For example:

Images with subtle changes in tone, colour and shape make it easy to see one's icons.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

One does not want overly-complicated or distracting patterns. My step-daughter, for some reason, wanted this one of my images as her desktop background, but I found it totally distracting when trying to support her computer:

HOSTED PHOTO

I have a folder set up with images I want and my desktop is set to change on a daily basis, so I get to enjoy my shots while I do other things too. Its also a screen-saver on the computer that is attached to our 60" OLED TV.

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

sponsored links
Gregsiem
Goldmember
1,494 posts
Gallery: 101 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Gregsiem.

Jan 15, 2020 14:09 |  #2

I don’t do it for my PC, but do something similar for my phone. I have a set of backgrounds where the ‘image’ is in the bottom right hand corner, and the rest of the background is unobtrusive.

HOSTED PHOTO

Tronhard
THREAD ­ STARTER
646 posts
Joined Jan 2020

Jan 15, 2020 16:42 |  #3

Another of my rotating images is quite restful...

HOSTED PHOTO

"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

Gregsiem
Goldmember
1,494 posts
Gallery: 101 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 15, 2020 17:20 |  #4

A couple more of mine
There is an app called FitWallp which help cropping them to the right size.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,240 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 15, 2020 17:55 |  #5

I never bother with background images as I usually have so many windows open that the background is pretty much covered. I do however cycle through my images randomly as a screen saver on all of our computers.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,998 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 15, 2020 18:17 |  #6

I can cut my own mats and print up to 13x19 for a cost of less than $3 per print, so I still print mine and hang them around the house, or sell them. I never liked the digital frames, and waiting for full color e-ink displays. Then and only then will I consider moving to that because eink screens require no constant power, just power when the display is updated and that is it. Also they would look more organic or print like than LCD/LED screens.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Tronhard
THREAD ­ STARTER
646 posts
Joined Jan 2020
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tronhard.

Jan 15, 2020 19:38 |  #7

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18992702 (external link)
I can cut my own mats and print up to 13x19 for a cost of less than $3 per print, so I still print mine and hang them around the house, or sell them. I never liked the digital frames, and waiting for full color e-ink displays. Then and only then will I consider moving to that because eink screens require no constant power, just power when the display is updated and that is it. Also they would look more organic or print like than LCD/LED screens.

That would suit me too as putting conventional screens where I would like them would require some serious rewiring! :rolleyes:

Trevor

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,998 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 15, 2020 19:51 as a reply to  @ Tronhard's post |  #8

My plan would be to have a raspberry pi that would be configured to pull one of X google image files from my account periodically, then sleep for N minutes, and rinse/repeat. I think I could have a battery to power it that would last a month or more.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Firemike
" lingering odor "
3,599 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 16, 2020 09:07 |  #9

I pretty much do the same as you Tron, I don't print many images anymore either. I use the images I like as backgrounds on my computers and a couple of the TV's. My work computer is dual monitor, my home computer is Quad Monitors. I use a program called Display Fusion that manages the multiple monitors. It allows me to have a different image on each monitor, plus it adds a task bar to each monitor that shows the start button plus any windows that are on that particular monitor. The program has a lot more functions that I haven't used yet but need to check out one of these days. I know you can set it up to rotate images as well, just never got around to it. Photo below is a screen capture of the four monitors as they are set up on the desk. The screen capture doesn't account for the width of the bezels for each monitor, I wish the screens were that close together.

HOSTED PHOTO

As far as the icons and "busy" background images, I use another program called Stardock Fences (photo below). You make the fenced in containers on the screen for the icons. You can group like icons together in separate fences and you can make then any color, any size, and any transparency. If you double click on a screen, all the fences disappear until you double click again. MY screen is getting kind of "junked up" with Icons and I need to then them out or group them better. Because you can color them and change the transparency it makes the icons easy to see, I usually set them to compliment the colors of the background image.

HOSTED PHOTO

Michael
Gear List

Tronhard
THREAD ­ STARTER
646 posts
Joined Jan 2020

Jan 16, 2020 11:58 |  #10

Well, Michael, that is one hack of a setup you have there! :-)
Most of my computers have a single screen and as few icons on the desktop as possible - they go on the task bar at the bottom of my screen.

Trevor

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,755 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 20, 2020 09:30 |  #11

I have Epson C88+ as new for well under 100 USD. Here is one vendor in BC at amazon.ca with carbon inks priced next to nothing. Not expensive paper still available. I print without making it as financial statement.

All of our family pictures and some others (9K or so in total) are in JPEG1 folder, we are using them as desktop (slide show) on three computers in two homes. Image is changing every minute in shuffle mode.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,779 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by airfrogusmc.

Jan 20, 2020 19:39 |  #12

I print. In my opinion a photogrpah isn't finished until it is a print. I try to exhibit once or twice a year. I had a big exhibit in Hamburg Germany last year. One here in Chicago June of 2018. I do have these in the 10 sec rotation now as a screen savers.

IMAGE: https://pbase.com/airfrogusmc/image/170328135.jpg
IMAGE: https://pbase.com/airfrogusmc/image/170328136.jpg
IMAGE: https://pbase.com/airfrogusmc/image/170328137.jpg
IMAGE: https://pbase.com/airfrogusmc/image/170328138.jpg
IMAGE: https://pbase.com/airfrogusmc/image/170328139.jpg
IMAGE: https://pbase.com/airfrogusmc/image/170328140.jpg
IMAGE: https://pbase.com/airfrogusmc/image/170328141.jpg

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
4,388 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 20, 2020 19:52 |  #13

My computer desktop is always a theme of HAL 9000 (like that it's minimalist and often has a dark background)

But my phone, being portrait orientation, has my own photo of jellyfish:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Tronhard
THREAD ­ STARTER
646 posts
Joined Jan 2020

Jan 21, 2020 00:51 |  #14

There is always a debate about whether a print is the final step in the image cycle. I totally support your desire to do so and respect your work very much.

At the same time I wonder if the current technology had been available to photographers from early in the development of photography if the print would be held in such high esteem. Obviously that is a somewhat rhetorical question to pose, but for myself I see a place for both depending on the purpose and use of the image. I think monochrome lends itself particularly well to print. I believe photographs are taken for many purposes and many of them do not require printing, art photography is, I think, a particular case.

I make a point of going to the Wildlife Photographer of the Year show when it arrives on NZ each February. I am always impressed by the work of the winners, and I find the back lit colour images have amazing punch. When I buy the books I am find the printed colour images a little flat in comparison - for that type of image, light helps.

Trevor

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,779 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by airfrogusmc.

Jan 21, 2020 08:51 |  #15

That's why I said in my opinion. I have seen tons of large shadow boxed, back lit transparencies and other types of back lit images and I still think with color, a beautiful die transfer print or now some ink jet prints if done right are far more to my liking. For me with B&W I usually prefer silver gelatin and platinum prints over ink jet though I am now printing inkjet for B&W these days.

sponsored links

1,884 views & 10 likes for this thread
Desktop Images
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.