Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
Thread started 17 May 2020 (Sunday) 20:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND bobadrunk (showing now: bobadrunk)
Overall Rating9
Overall Image Quality9.5
Value for Money10
Must Have9
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected9.5
AF Performance10
Handling and Ergonomics10
User-interface10
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS R

Canon EOS R, reviewed by bobadrunk

bobadrunk
32 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2019

May 17, 2020 20:42 |  #1

My very first mirrorless camera! It's amazing how compact yet ergonomic it is, rivaling the T6i I had. The EVF is very sharp and I don't miss an OVF at all anymore. I like that the light meter and other parameters also rotate with the camera when held in a portrait orientation. The camera shares the same sensor as the 5D Mark IV, and I have noticed a minor improvement in noise and dynamic range compared to my 6D Mark II. The customisability of the camera is amazing, being able to map a plethora of options to almost every button. It's annoying that some features can't be mapped to certain functions, however. For example, the AEL button can be reprogrammed to an ISO change (holding down the button and using a dial to adjust the ISO), but I can't change it to adjust the aperture. Not sure what's preventing this, but the button mapping in general is more than welcome. The biggest sellers for this camera for me were the autofocus and mount most of all. I'm going to get it out the way: autofocus is a very nice tool, it may not be essential for everyone and maybe even a gimmick for others, but I'm not shooting on a tripod or in broad daylight 90% of the time. The near 100% AF point coverage as well as accuracy makes even third party lens just as great as first party. The RF mount is also exciting, providing a very promising future (currently in love with the RF 24-70mm!) and since it's larger than the EF mount, it's no issue adapting the DSLR lenses. The biggest takeaway is that the EOS R provides flexibility like no other camera I've had before. It improved upon the 6D in every way (except removal of scroll wheel :-() and the only thing I can see myself selling this camera for is for another version that has IBIS.

greyswan
I have just suddenly realised just how deranged I am
1,449 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 05, 2021 07:22 |  #2

Just recently got the R, I think it's a highly underrated camera. I use it for professional work as well as for wildlife . Granted it's not got the bells and whistles of the other R models, but I find it works quite well for BIF and as a wildlife cam, for which it was widely panned when it came out. For a mid range price it's excellent. For myself, not being a pro wildlife photog, I can't justify the price for a top-of-the line camera.

Chris
A clean house is a sign that my computer's broken...
gallery:https://ephemerastudio​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
Gear: 50D, 300 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 100 1.28 Macro, nifty fifty.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,936 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon EOS R, reviewed by bobadrunk
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.