Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Jun 2020 (Sunday) 07:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just found this pic and needs restoration.

docmarioce
175 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 21, 2020 07:18 |  #1

Hi guys. It was a long time ago when I posted for the last time. I just found this picture of my late mother and wonder if anyone can work on it to restore. I have lost my few skills in pic editing long ago.

Best,

Mario

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mario
Canon T2i |17-40 4L |70-300 IS |Sigma 50 2.8 Macro

sponsored links
AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,650 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 02, 2020 15:30 |  #2

Hi, Mario.

The picture seems to have some compression artifacts. Can you rescan as a high quality JPG or TIF or similar? That will result in a file too large for posting here, but there's always a free Dropbox account or similar that would allow you to just post the link here.

Cleaning up the picture posted here would not be all that tough but would produce a less than ideal result.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,051 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 02, 2020 17:52 |  #3

It also looks like there has been an attempt to clone or patch some of the image already - so as AZGeorge has suggested, posting a hi-res original scan of the image would be the best starting point.

Kirk

Kirk
---

Damo77
Goldmember
4,667 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 02, 2020 18:56 |  #4

Scanning guidelines (external link)

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,443 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012
Post edited 2 months ago by rrblint.

Jul 03, 2020 17:17 |  #5

Here you go. I thought I'd take a shot at it as is. Your mother was very pretty, I hope this provides you with a fond remembrance of her.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,974 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by mwsilver. (9 edits in all)

Jul 03, 2020 17:39 |  #6

rrblint wrote in post #19087651 (external link)
Here you go. I thought I'd take a shot at it as is. Your mother was very pretty, I hope this provides you with a fond remembrance of her.

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 1052798 has been deleted. ]

Hey Mark, It looks really good. Did you do it in PhotoLab? Offhand, the only thing I noticed that you may want to play with a bit more is the small smear on the tip of her kneecap and its transition to her arm. it might be an artifact from the amount of feathering used. I ran into a similar situation when I started playing with this image yesterday. Unfortunately I was too busy with other things to continue. I'm glad I didn't because your version lis terrific. In any case I think Mario will be very pleased with it even without any additional adjustments.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

rrblint
22,443 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 03, 2020 18:40 |  #7

mwsilver wrote in post #19087654 (external link)
Hey Mark, It looks really good. Did you do it in PhotoLab? Offhand, the only thing I noticed that you may want to play with a bit more is the small smear on the tip of her kneecap and its transition to her arm. it might be an artifact from the amount of feathering used. I ran into a similar situation when I started playing with this image yesterday. Unfortunately I was too busy with other things to continue. I'm glad I didn't because your version lis terrific. In any case I think Mario will be very pleased with it even without any additional adjustments.

Thanks Mark. Yes her left knee and right arm, along with the phone cord where it attaches to the wall were trouble spots. I did 99% of it in Photolab, then tried to clean up those trouble spots in Photoshop. I didn't really do any good in PS, so I think that I will go back to the last PL version and try again.

There's no doubt that I used Photolab as it is my first choice for starting editing on ALL photos, RAW or not. I also used the Topaz JPEG=>RAW conversion program, then resized it up to 3000 px on the long side in ON1 resize for a better file to start off with.

Mark

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,974 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 03, 2020 19:07 |  #8

rrblint wrote in post #19087669 (external link)
Thanks Mark. Yes her left knee and right arm, along with the phone cord where it attaches to the wall were trouble spots. I did 99% of it in Photolab, then tried to clean up those trouble spots in Photoshop. I didn't really do any good in PS, so I think that I will go back to the last PL version and try again.

There's no doubt that I used Photolab as it is my first choice for starting editing on ALL photos, RAW or not. I also used the Topaz JPEG=>RAW conversion program, then resized it up to 3000 px on the long side in ON1 resize for a better file to start off with.

I really like the results I get using the new repair/clone tool in PhotoLab.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

rrblint
22,443 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 03, 2020 19:54 |  #9

mwsilver wrote in post #19087676 (external link)
I really like the results I get using the new repair/clone tool in PhotoLab.

Yes, it's really capable of working wonders. But it's not perfect. I replaced the photo above with a new version. There's still a smudge on her knee, but hopefully it's a little bit better. There was a spot on the originally posted photo right on the place where her arm, knee and the couch intersect and it's very hard to get a clean repair/clone there. no matter what I tried there was always some smudging apparent. It also doesn't work very well on the edges of the photos and I had to crop more than I wanted to. Maybe I'll start a thread on the other forum and hopefully get some response from DXO staff.

Mark

lacogada
378 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2015

Jul 04, 2020 11:16 |  #10

rrblint wrote in post #19087669 (external link)
then resized it up to 3000 px on the long side in ON1 resize for a better file to start off with.

On1 resize better then PS resample ?

rrblint
22,443 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 04, 2020 14:15 |  #11

lacogada wrote in post #19088015 (external link)
On1 resize better then PS resample ?

No visible(at least to me) difference, ON1 resize was just the first thing I thought of after converting it to a TIFF. I think ON1 resize is at least as good as PS resample. Try it yourself and see if you like it. ON1 have several algorithms to choose from so make sure that you try their "Genuine Fractals" algorithm for their best results.

Mark

lacogada
378 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2015

Jul 04, 2020 15:20 |  #12

rrblint wrote in post #19088109 (external link)
No visible(at least to me) difference, ON1 resize was just the first thing I thought of after converting it to a TIFF. I think ON1 resize is at least as good as PS resample. Try it yourself and see if you like it. ON1 have several algorithms to choose from so make sure that you try their "Genuine Fractals" algorithm for their best results.

Thanks.

auto-clicker
817 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by auto-clicker. (3 edits in all)

Jul 04, 2020 21:46 |  #13

I gave it a go 8x10 PS and Nik...to get it "perfect" would take a lot of time to recreate the sofa, floor, wall yada yada - gave it that "film" look  :p

HOSTED PHOTO

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,910 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 04, 2020 23:51 |  #14

Thought I'd give it a try. Not perfect by any means.

HOSTED PHOTO

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

docmarioce
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 07, 2020 05:52 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #15

Thank you very much. I'm very pleased with the result. I really appreciate it. Thanks again.

Mario
Canon T2i |17-40 4L |70-300 IS |Sigma 50 2.8 Macro

sponsored links

1,322 views & 9 likes for this thread
Just found this pic and needs restoration.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.