Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jul 2020 (Wednesday) 20:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Maybe its official- R5 and R6 pricing

sjnovakovich
292 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 17, 2020 10:22 |  #16

Excluding video, what does the R5 offer over the 5D IV? I've go to be missing something.

Steve Novakovich
www.SteveNovakovich.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,459 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 9 months ago by digital paradise.

Jul 17, 2020 10:30 |  #17

sjnovakovich wrote in post #19094648 (external link)
Excluding video, what does the R5 offer over the 5D IV? I've go to be missing something.

Better AF, animal AF, full screen AF, flip screen, 45mp, no MFA required - ever, 12 and 20 fps, IBIS, 3 extra pins for faster transmission speeds (need an RF lens for that), LCD touch control, and a bunch of new video features if you are into that.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
17,459 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 17, 2020 10:32 |  #18

Forgot. Improved sensor that show clean files at 12,800 ISO and new AA tech.

Image Editing OK

SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,876 posts
Gallery: 492 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004
Post edited 9 months ago by SYS.

Jul 17, 2020 10:33 |  #19

digital paradise wrote in post #19094655 (external link)
Better AF, animal AF, full screen AF, flip screen, 45mp, no MFA required - ever, 12 and 20 fps, IBIS, 3 extra pins for faster transmission speeds (need an RF lens for that), LCD touch control, and a bunch of new video features if you are into that.

Just top of my head, adding a couple more to your list: R5 is smaller and lighter (as I age, things like these make a significant difference) and built in IS.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

sjnovakovich
292 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 17, 2020 15:17 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #20

I have touch control and waiting to hear about the AF after users have it in hand for a few weeks.
IBIS ehh.
20 FPS might be nice.
None of what you listed however, makes it worth and extra $2000 to me. And then there is the really high cost of the lenses.

Steve Novakovich
www.SteveNovakovich.co​m (external link)

digital ­ paradise
17,459 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 17, 2020 15:33 |  #21

sjnovakovich wrote in post #19094753 (external link)
I have touch control and waiting to hear about the AF after users have it in hand for a few weeks.
IBIS ehh.
20 FPS might be nice.
None of what you listed however, makes it worth and extra $2000 to me. And then there is the really high cost of the lenses.

I wasn’t trying to convince you to buy one. Just answered your question. It is not for everyone. We all have our own reasons to buy or not buy something. You will do what works best for you.

Image Editing OK

SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,876 posts
Gallery: 492 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

Jul 17, 2020 16:06 |  #22

I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy R5, either.

Whether the R5 is worth upgrading over the 5D IV really depends on what you shoot. I do have the 5D IV, and I love this camera for just about every shooting situations. As a bird photographer, however, the 5D IV is lacking in some significant ways that the R5 can remedy, particularly the FPS, the full frame AF, the eye tracking and lot more mpix. All of these advanced features in the R5 alone are going to make a huge difference. Each time I go out to shoot birds, particularly BIF, I miss those features very acutely. For me and my shooting needs, although I hardly ever going to use its video features, it's still worth the cost. Speaking of video, although I rarely shoot films, I did once engaged the 5D IV to film a Northern Flicker couple's courting behavior because the stills simply won't do justice in telling the story. The couple's ritual took place amidst a bunch of branches, and the 5D IV had such a hard time at focusing that at least half the video came out out of focus. In those rare times that I do need to shoot a video, I know that the R5 can handle the same situation to a highly satisfying result.

If your shooting situations don't engage these features, then there's absolutely no need to replace the 5D IV.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,860 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 17, 2020 20:15 |  #23

digital paradise wrote in post #19094655 (external link)

This

Its a significant upgrade for the body. I dont think people realize how big IBIS is going to be. And eye focus is great for portrait work. These updates effectively killed off the DSLR line up in my opinion...whos gonna buy one now ?

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,100 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 17, 2020 21:25 |  #24

It's also priced the same (or lower?) than the 5D4 was at launch, which really surprises me. Looks like bargain.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

digital ­ paradise
17,459 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 17, 2020 21:33 |  #25

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #19094867 (external link)
It's also priced the same (or lower?) than the 5D4 was at launch, which really surprises me. Looks like bargain.

The 5D4 was $3,500. R5 is $3,900. We chatted about this here or another thread. It seems that every release of a 5D was about $500 or so more than it’s predecessor. You can contribute about ½ to inflation.

Image Editing OK

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,100 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 17, 2020 23:12 |  #26

digital paradise wrote in post #19094869 (external link)
The 5D4 was $3,500. R5 is $3,900. We chatted about this here or another thread. It seems that every release of a 5D was about $500 or so more than it’s predecessor. You can contribute about ½ to inflation.

My mistake, for some reason I thought it was 3.9

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

goalerjones
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 218 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2018

Jul 18, 2020 02:37 |  #27

SYS wrote in post #19094772 (external link)
I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy R5, either.

Whether the R5 is worth upgrading over the 5D IV really depends on what you shoot. I do have the 5D IV, and I love this camera for just about every shooting situations. As a bird photographer, however, the 5D IV is lacking in some significant ways that the R5 can remedy, particularly the FPS, the full frame AF, the eye tracking and lot more mpix. All of these advanced features in the R5 alone are going to make a huge difference. Each time I go out to shoot birds, particularly BIF, I miss those features very acutely. For me and my shooting needs, although I hardly ever going to use its video features, it's still worth the cost. Speaking of video, although I rarely shoot films, I did once engaged the 5D IV to film a Northern Flicker couple's courting behavior because the stills simply won't do justice in telling the story. The couple's ritual took place amidst a bunch of branches, and the 5D IV had such a hard time at focusing that at least half the video came out out of focus. In those rare times that I do need to shoot a video, I know that the R5 can handle the same situation to a highly satisfying result.

If your shooting situations don't engage these features, then there's absolutely no need to replace the 5D IV.

So, I shoot, landscapes, events, night time shots, sometimes BIF and just about anything else for memes or backgrounds for our church media team. I have noticed autofocus issues with my 5DM4, even tonight getting sunset images it hunted a few times using my 70-200 mk3 lens. Is the R5 a camera I should be looking at? The 45mp sensor vs the 30, the fully articulating screen are just a couple of features I really like.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,770 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 9 months ago by John Sheehy.

Jul 18, 2020 13:16 |  #28

sjnovakovich wrote in post #19094648 (external link)

AF above f/8 in viewfinder mode, for starters.

8K video is 39MP or larger with DCI! In all-I mode, that's 30 decent-quality jpegs per second!

digital ­ paradise
17,459 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 18, 2020 13:18 |  #29

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #19094896 (external link)
My mistake, for some reason I thought it was 3.9

It happens.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

1,434 views & 16 likes for this thread
Maybe its official- R5 and R6 pricing
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.