Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jul 2020 (Thursday) 08:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Canon EOS R5 Unite and Discuss!

Leigh
232 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 2 months ago by Leigh.

Nov 18, 2022 10:10 |  #5656

goalerjones wrote in post #19447080 (external link)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm shooting at say, 1/1000 or even higher, I don't really need image stabilization, is that right?

So "they" say; but I generally/mostly leave it engaged as most newer models can determine whether tripod mounted, or not; and I've not noted any problems leaving it on in any event.

I'd probably "mess-up" more shots by forgetting to turn it on, then by forgetting to turn it off, so I just leave it on, ;-)a

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 20, 2022 10:54 |  #5657

goalerjones wrote in post #19447080 (external link)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm shooting at say, 1/1000 or even higher, I don't really need image stabilization, is that right?

I think it depends on what subject your are shooting and how long a lens you're using. Shooting go fast boats with the 100-500L I'm typically in the 1/2500 to 1/5000 range depending on focal length. I still keep IS on because it very helpful steadying the subject as I'm tracking it versus having the subject bounce around alot more in the viewfinder.

Website (external link) flickr (external link) FaceBook (external link)

abacus022
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 27, 2022 13:26 |  #5658

I'm looking for assistance on finding a correct setting.

I generally shoot landscape and wildlife. I have custom settings for both (C1 and C2). Both work fine. When looking through the viewfinder, both work in respects to the question I am about to ask.

I had occasion to so some indoor portrait shooting last weekend. I set up C3 for this purpose, with people eye auto focus, and manual settings for use with a set of strobes. The photos came out well, in spite of my issue.

Issue being, when focusing, for a brief moment, the viewfinder would be lit sufficiently for me to aim, compose and focus. For a brief moment, that is. Then it goes too dark. Not black, just very dim making it difficult to see whats going on, after I did the initial focus. I don't have that happen on the other settings. I've compared MENU settings on all three, and outside of the focus settings (e.g. animal eye vs people eye) I am not finding anything different.

Any thoughts? I've spent a fair amount of time going through the R5 manual, and the internet, and haven't found what I am looking for. But I may not be using the correct search keywords either.

Canon EOS R5, R, 7D mkII, 6D
Lenses: Canon RF 100-500, Canon 100-400 II, Tamron 28-300, Tamron 18-270, Sigma 150-500, Canon 50, Sigma 28, Canon RF 2X TC
www.photographyByAbacu​s.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/abacus22 (external link)

jan1977
133 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 28, 2022 03:52 |  #5659

abacus022 wrote in post #19450726 (external link)
I'm looking for assistance on finding a correct setting.

I generally shoot landscape and wildlife. I have custom settings for both (C1 and C2). Both work fine. When looking through the viewfinder, both work in respects to the question I am about to ask.

I had occasion to so some indoor portrait shooting last weekend. I set up C3 for this purpose, with people eye auto focus, and manual settings for use with a set of strobes. The photos came out well, in spite of my issue.

Issue being, when focusing, for a brief moment, the viewfinder would be lit sufficiently for me to aim, compose and focus. For a brief moment, that is. Then it goes too dark. Not black, just very dim making it difficult to see whats going on, after I did the initial focus. I don't have that happen on the other settings. I've compared MENU settings on all three, and outside of the focus settings (e.g. animal eye vs people eye) I am not finding anything different.

Any thoughts? I've spent a fair amount of time going through the R5 manual, and the internet, and haven't found what I am looking for. But I may not be using the correct search keywords either.

It sounds to me it would be the 'exposure simulation' setting. The EVF is showing the exposure based on settings (shutter speed, aperture and ISO), but because you rely on flash for exposure, the set values result in an underexposed image without flash, so dark viewfinder. When using flash, you can disable exposure simulation and the viewfinder would remain fairly lit, like it is with focussing.

For your landscape and wildlife your dialed in exposure settings result in a proper exposure based on available light, hence you see a well exposed image in the viewfinder.

abacus022
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 28, 2022 11:01 |  #5660

jan1977 wrote in post #19450911 (external link)
It sounds to me it would be the 'exposure simulation' setting. The EVF is showing the exposure based on settings (shutter speed, aperture and ISO), but because you rely on flash for exposure, the set values result in an underexposed image without flash, so dark viewfinder. When using flash, you can disable exposure simulation and the viewfinder would remain fairly lit, like it is with focussing.

For your landscape and wildlife your dialed in exposure settings result in a proper exposure based on available light, hence you see a well exposed image in the viewfinder.

YES! That appears to be it. Thank you!

I have another portrait session in a month, and did not want to have to deal with this again.

Canon EOS R5, R, 7D mkII, 6D
Lenses: Canon RF 100-500, Canon 100-400 II, Tamron 28-300, Tamron 18-270, Sigma 150-500, Canon 50, Sigma 28, Canon RF 2X TC
www.photographyByAbacu​s.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/abacus22 (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
14,583 posts
Gallery: 586 photos
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 07, 2022 14:18 |  #5661

A new firmware 1.7 update is now available. Changes are minimal:

"Corrected the phenomenon that, on rare occasions, the camera would not operate normally while shooting a small subject.

Fixed minor bugs.":

https://www.usa.canon.​com/support/p/eos-r5 (external link)

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

SYS
Cream of the Crop
14,583 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Post edited 1 month ago by SYS. (2 edits in all)

Dec 07, 2022 14:22 |  #5662

Two years too late for me as I've already purchased the OEM BG-R10 Battery Grip, but here's finally a third-party grip for R5/R6 that looks promising. Here's a video that compares the OEM vs. third-party (Mcoplus), $349 vs. $94:

https://www.youtube.co​m …_channel=1KINDP​hotography (external link)

-Goethe
My Gear

rndman
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 09, 2022 08:11 |  #5663

SYS wrote in post #19454019 (external link)
A new firmware 1.7 update is now available. Changes are minimal:

"Corrected the phenomenon that, on rare occasions, the camera would not operate normally while shooting a small subject.

Fixed minor bugs.":

https://www.usa.canon.​com/support/p/eos-r5 (external link)

Yes, the information is minimal. I doubt the content are. Because releasing a software has efforts, so I am sure Canon will not spend it on small changes. It's just that they will not tell you anything.

smugmug (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
14,583 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Post edited 1 month ago by SYS.

Dec 09, 2022 08:39 |  #5664

rndman wrote in post #19454530 (external link)
Yes, the information is minimal. I doubt the content are. Because releasing a software has efforts, so I am sure Canon will not spend it on small changes. It's just that they will not tell you anything.

I have no idea what Canon's updating; wished they'd be more specific. I did update the firmware but have not seen any changes. That's probably about right, since whatever Canon updated has to do "on rare occasions" and "small subject."

-Goethe
My Gear

bsiegler
461 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 09, 2022 11:49 |  #5665

I updated last night as well. I'm always leary for a few days after updating. I'd hate to start getting all those lockups again!

BirdsofBC
" eye candy, pure and simple"
3,925 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 09, 2022 14:29 |  #5666

I'm going to pass.

if it ain't broke....

https://birdsofbc.com/ (external link)

RMyers
437 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 10, 2022 12:08 |  #5667

I was still on 1.5.2, never went to 1.6. I did my now normal process of saving camera settings, resetting camera (first option in reset), update firmware, restore settings. Seems to be working fine. I had notice that autofocus on eyes was not as good on 1.5.2 for eyes on more distant subjects than I thought earlier versions were, but it was stable. We had some cedar waxwings flocking in the backyard and it did seem to do a better job, but that is seat of the pants reaction, nothing scientific. Anyway, I’ve taken 400-500 shots with no issue sover a few sessions.

Rusty Myers
Austin, TX
http://www.SamMyersPho​tography.com (external link)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

773,560 views & 4,866 likes for this thread, 234 members have posted to it and it is followed by 188 members.
Canon EOS R5 Unite and Discuss!
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.