Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jul 2020 (Thursday) 08:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS R5 Unite and Discuss!

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,871 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Methodical.

Oct 02, 2020 12:28 |  #1396

Jared5 wrote in post #19133042 (external link)
Agreed. It seemed like a "premature evaluation" to do a review after only 2 days: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=IJlQk-r_c8U (external link)

I'm recording my 2-month review this weekend.

Definitely post up a link to your review. Your review may point out some things that I may not know about the camera, which at the moment, is a lot because I don't have it yet; it should be here tomorrow.

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,817 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Oct 02, 2020 12:36 |  #1397

jwcdds wrote in post #19132710 (external link)
Update on teleconverters w/ my R5.

Brief background:
I had issues connecting 1.4x(v3) + ef12 + 2.0x(v3) + 100-400(v2) and having AF work (where this combo used to work, albeit slowly, with the 7d2/5d4/1dx2/1dx3). Whereas the combo in that configuration would not even allow my R5 to attempt to take pictures. Aperture read F00.

I worked around the issue by switching the order around (2x + ef12 + 1.4x) and the camera functioned, but I found AF to be wonky (at night, didn't test in the day).

What's happening now:
So a fellow member here was able to connect the 1.4x(v3) directly to the 2x(v2) on their EOS R (I believe) and that was working, no need for the ef12 tube.

So I ordered a 9+ used condition 2x(v2) and it just arrived in my pudgy paws.

Yes indeed, the 1.4x(v3) + 2x(v2) connects beautifully and with the 100-400(v2), R5 focuses quickly as expected.

However, just for kicks, I opted to attach 2x(v3) + 2x(v2) + 100-400(v2) and the combo works (day time at least). And the AF is no slouch! So unless my math is wonky, which it very likely is, this can give me an "effective reach" of 1600mm. With AF. (Aperture reading on the camera still reads, incorrectly f/11 with the 2x/2x combo.)

Soooooo, with some luck (though the nights have been super hazing where I live), I'm going to test the 2x/2x combo soon on the moon and then see if I can snap Jupiter again. (Not sure if Saturn is still up there but I'll check.)

(I should actually go see if I can get the 1.4x + 2x(2) + ef12 + 2x(3) connected and see if that works. Hahaha....)

*update*

I just tried to connect 1.4x + 2(2) + ef12 + 2(3) and got F00 again. No joy. Oh well, can't say I didn't try.

I kept my MkII 2X for the physical ability to stack back when the MkIII was released eliminating this option. Very interesting to read that these new fangled bodies give another reason to hold onto a MkII!

I've also stacked a pair of 2X with the MkII in front this way, of course on my DSLR this was totally manual focus, but it works.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,871 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 02, 2020 12:39 |  #1398

WarriorPoet wrote in post #19133065 (external link)
Can anyone recommend a wireless shutter release?

Personally, I'd go with the Canon's remote (external link). Although the R5 is not listed, one of the reviewers stated they use it for the R5 and it's listed as compatible with the EOS R and RP. It's a bit cheaper at the Canon's store.

Dislaimer: I do not have the remote and can't confirm compatibility first hand.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,871 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 02, 2020 12:40 |  #1399

That didn't last long. Folks are hawking for these babies.

Gear
Flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,817 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Oct 02, 2020 12:41 |  #1400

umphotography wrote in post #19132912 (external link)
He is showing distorted balls and goal posts with electronic shutters and he wasnt real happy with eye focus. He says to stick to single point---also....So many frames to go through with electronic shutter use

he is a 1Dx2 shooter and prefers it to the R5 for sports work

Positive reports for portrait work

Sorry to say, but since the 1D4 I have to discount any Canon shooter that insists on single point as the "only" way to go. Shortly thereafter 1D AF ability trickeled down to more affordable bodies, 5D3&4, 7D2 anyone saying that single point is the only solution on those bodies is already out of touch.

With the AF in these (R5 and R6) and the 1DXIII that position has been strengthened dramatically. Yes there are circumstances where certain techniques are better than others, no one size fits all, but to discount these amazing tracking AF systems completely truly leaves me questioning how valuable any of the advice is for many of us.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,871 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Methodical. (2 edits in all)

Oct 02, 2020 12:43 |  #1401

SYS wrote in post #19133110 (external link)
I haven't read through the whole thread, so my apology if this question has been addressed already.

For those of you with experience using the Canon Mount Adapter, either standard or control ring or both, is it worth double the price to go with the control ring edition? What does it do that you can't program in the R5 itself?

It is worth the price to me, but maybe not to others. I plan to use it for Exposure Compensation. I think I will get lots of usage in combination with exposure simulation. I may also use it for Aperture, but I rarely change that during shooting and I always put ISO on the big dial on the back of the camera. With the Dslr cameras, I sometimes forget which dial I have EC and Aperture set to and change the wrong settings (i.e. Av instead of EC or visa versa), but with EC set on the adapter there will be no mistakes and it will be right at thumb or finger tip.

Below is a video from Rudy Winston on the adapter that explains it's operation. Start at the 2:00 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.co​m …5gfgrKrWg1&inde​x=8&t=163s (external link)

Gear
Flickr (external link)

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,871 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 02, 2020 12:45 |  #1402

John Sheehy wrote in post #19133005 (external link)
These very annoying. I don't accept it, but perhaps am more likely to comprehend it in something like the 90D, but in a more expensive camera like the R5, you would think that you could pick lower burst speeds. I set my 7D2 to 7fps within a day of seeing that it triggered a destructive IS feedback loop at 10fps in the zoom lens I was using at the time, and never turned it back up to 10fps over the next 5 years.

I am now thinking about carrying around a lot of older or partially-charged batteries to lower the R5's burst rate when I get it, assuming AF ability is not also reduced. It is totally ridiculous that we even have to think about work-arounds like this.

From my research, you can lower the mechanical shutter speeds, but you can't change the electronic shutter speeds.

Gear
Flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,817 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 02, 2020 12:48 |  #1403

LJ3Jim wrote in post #19133132 (external link)
The control ring is just another dial that you can set to do whatever function you wish. The RF lenses all have control rings, ...

Almost all, (the 24-240 forces you to choose between focus ring or other control.. so I guess really what it doesn't have is a dedicated focus ring) ...but yes, this is the best reason for the control ring, to maintain consistent control ability when shooting RF and EF lenses alike.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,565 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 02, 2020 13:18 |  #1404

SYS wrote in post #19133166 (external link)
Thank you for your responses. I read a review that said the control ring adapter is "practically useless" for heavy lenses. The reviewer mentioned Sigma 60-600 when making that statement. I don't know anything about that particular lens, but I gather that I'd experience the same with my Sigma 150-600C? I'm going to be using R5 (once I get it) for bird photography primarily with that lens.

When holding a long lens, you can turn the control ring with your right index or middle finger. It's a bit awkward, so I wouldn't program it for my most used function.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

Jared5
545 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by Jared5.

Oct 02, 2020 18:03 |  #1405

Here's a nice review of the R6 from a 1D-series user:

https://youtu.be/q364O​4xGoi4 (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

EOS R3 | EOS R5 | EOS R | 5D Mk4
RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS | RF 28-70 f/2L | RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS | RF 15-35 f/2.8L IS
RF 85mm f/1.2L | RF 85mm f/2 macro IS | RF 50mm f/1.2L | RF 50mm f/1.8 | RF 35mm f/1.8 macro IS | RF 16mm f/2.8
https://www.youtube.co​m/JaredRibic/videos (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
14,087 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004
Post edited over 2 years ago by RDKirk.

Oct 02, 2020 21:19 |  #1406

SYS wrote in post #19133166 (external link)
Thank you for your responses. I read a review that said the control ring adapter is "practically useless" for heavy lenses. The reviewer mentioned Sigma 60-600 when making that statement. I don't know anything about that particular lens, but I gather that I'd experience the same with my Sigma 150-600C? I'm going to be using R5 (once I get it) for bird photography primarily with that lens.

My heaviest lens is my 70-200 f/2.8, but I still find the adapter control ring (which is close to the camera) an excellent control. It appears that Canon takes the balance of the camera/lens system into account for the placement of the control ring on RF lenses.

I can't see how a relatively large control ring anywhere on a lens is going to be "practically useless" compared to twiddling a little dial on the camera body to make the same change, particularly with a heavy lens.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Weja
Goldmember
2,642 posts
Gallery: 1044 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined May 2011

Oct 04, 2020 13:51 |  #1407

Great spotted woodpecker male

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50418914407_b6bb75c916_h.jpg
Photo from Weja's gallery.

Weja

Canon gear::arrow: R5 , 600mm. F4 L IS II , RF 100-500, RF 100 F2.8 L IS macro , 1.4 Tc.III .
Gitzo 3542 LS with Wimberley head II , centre column with Gitzo ballhead.

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,871 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 05, 2020 12:15 |  #1408

Looks good Weja. I received my R5 Saturday, but I can't shoot anything yet...still waiting on EF adapter and CFExpress card to arrive this week.

I've just been setting up the camera. What AF settings are you using? Are you using BB AF?

Gear
Flickr (external link)

Weja
Goldmember
2,642 posts
Joined May 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Weja. (2 edits in all)

Oct 05, 2020 13:31 |  #1409

Yes allways backbutton focus.
I have spot af set to the af on button , and animal eye detection under the star button, so i can rapidly change these two.

Weja

Canon gear::arrow: R5 , 600mm. F4 L IS II , RF 100-500, RF 100 F2.8 L IS macro , 1.4 Tc.III .

Weja
Goldmember
2,642 posts
Joined May 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Weja.

Oct 05, 2020 13:33 |  #1410

European robin

The cropability of this cam is unbelievable:-)

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50423501248_7944a2a089_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2jPK​Ccb  (external link) JAN_European Robin (external link) by Jan Wever (external link), on Flickr

Weja

sponsored links

718,335 views & 4,785 likes for this thread
Canon EOS R5 Unite and Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.