Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 25 Oct 2020 (Sunday) 06:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Increasing Problems with my Server Images not Showing in AMASS

Lester ­ Wareham
29,601 posts
Gallery: 3048 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 25, 2020 06:04 |  #1

This issue started when we moved to AMASS, images show the "Image did not load box". This occasionally happens to me with other users images but clicking on the link in the box normally loads the image.

I have had recent reports from BirdsofBC and darkslinger for example, I provided darkslinger links to the images which loaded OK.

darkslinger wrote in PM #260644 (external link)
It's weird Lester, every image you post comes up on my computer as "loading". No change over time and no change when I click on it.

The links that you included work fine, just your post on POTN...and it's only your images...very strange...

My images are on a static server and it looks like AMASS just uses the InlineImage Class, but I don't know enough to really understand the AMASS code.

I assume there is no time-out on image loading on AMASS that might explain this feature, so that leaves issue with user's installation:

a) Browser issue: Perhaps update browser if available, clearing cookies is always recommended but possibly inconvenient, I think this may have been the source of this problem for some in the past. Try a different browser.
b) Browser addin issue: Try temporarily disabling addins.
c) Firewall/Anti-virus issue: Try turning off the firewall temporarily and see if the problem post loads ok. For darkslinger this seems not to be the problem as the links open directly.
d) Out of date DNS info on your PC; this should clear shortly.

Below are two direct link to images on my two server locations for you to try. If these load it suggests issue group (a) is the problem.

http://www.ware.myzen.​co.uk …_087-89_11-06-12%20BW.jpg (external link)

http://www.zen20934.ze​n.co.uk …A%207DII_006_29​-12-16.jpg (external link)

Pekka: If you come across this thread do you have any other suggestions to add?

My Photography Home Page (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
Problems Seeing My Images Click Here
flickr (external link) Flickr Home (external link)

sponsored links
mccamli
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited 1 month ago by mccamli.

Oct 25, 2020 06:47 |  #2

I can confirm that your above links work fine (and quickly) for me whereas your images in threads do not load and are not visible.

Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
4,462 posts
Gallery: 1894 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 25, 2020 07:07 |  #3

Lester- I was going to send you a PM about this. After some time, a box appears saying the image failed to load from server (I may be paraphrasing). There is a link which allows me to click through to see the image.

Lester ­ Wareham
THREAD ­ STARTER
29,601 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 25, 2020 07:20 |  #4

mccamli wrote in post #19142928 (external link)
I can confirm that your above links work fine (and quickly) for me whereas your images in threads do not load and are not visible.

Thanks for the report mccamli, try Capn Jack's approach if you can.

Capn Jack wrote in post #19142936 (external link)
Lester- I was going to send you a PM about this. After some time, a box appears saying the image failed to load from server (I may be paraphrasing). There is a link which allows me to click through to see the image.

Yes this is what I find if this issue occurs for me with others, it does not seem to persist and is very occasional however.

Gear List

mccamli
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 25, 2020 07:33 as a reply to  @ Lester Wareham's post |  #5

Well what do you know...clicking on the link that says the image failed to load results in the image loading!

It's not exactly self explanatory...it's certainly a process that could be improved a little :-)

Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Gregsiem
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Gallery: 101 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited 1 month ago by Gregsiem.

Oct 25, 2020 07:36 |  #6

Lester Wareham wrote in post #19142920 (external link)
This issue started when we moved to AMASS, images show the "Image did not load box". This occasionally happens to me with other users images but clicking on the link in the box normally loads the image.

I have had recent reports from BirdsofBC and darkslinger for example, I provided darkslinger links to the images which loaded OK.

My images are on a static server and it looks like AMASS just uses the InlineImage Class, but I don't know enough to really understand the AMASS code.

I assume there is no time-out on image loading on AMASS that might explain this feature, so that leaves issue with user's installation:

a) Browser issue: Perhaps update browser if available, clearing cookies is always recommended but possibly inconvenient, I think this may have been the source of this problem for some in the past. Try a different browser.
b) Browser addin issue: Try temporarily disabling addins.
c) Firewall/Anti-virus issue: Try turning off the firewall temporarily and see if the problem post loads ok. For darkslinger this seems not to be the problem as the links open directly.
d) Out of date DNS info on your PC; this should clear shortly.

Below are two direct link to images on my two server locations for you to try. If these load it suggests issue group (a) is the problem.

http://www.ware.myzen.​co.uk …_087-89_11-06-12%20BW.jpg (external link)

http://www.zen20934.ze​n.co.uk …A%207DII_006_29​-12-16.jpg (external link)

Pekka: If you come across this thread do you have any other suggestions to add?

Images from both the links above and from your threads are loading fast for me.

BTW, great images :)

darkslinger
Goldmember
1,247 posts
Gallery: 209 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 25, 2020 10:13 |  #7

Good morning Lester, like mccamli, I clicked on the final "failed to load" message and the image did load.

Couple of things:

1. It takes a couple of minutes to go from the "loading" message to the "failed to load" message
2. The images don't open in POTN, the link takes the user to a different webpage (I'm assuming the webpage that you linked the image to)

All in all like mccamli stated, not an intuitive process but at least I can see what you posted now.

Bill

Be the uncarved block

Lester ­ Wareham
THREAD ­ STARTER
29,601 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 25, 2020 11:48 |  #8

darkslinger wrote in post #19143001 (external link)
Good morning Lester, like mccamli, I clicked on the final "failed to load" message and the image did load.

Couple of things:

1. It takes a couple of minutes to go from the "loading" message to the "failed to load" message
2. The images don't open in POTN, the link takes the user to a different webpage (I'm assuming the webpage that you linked the image to)

All in all like mccamli stated, not an intuitive process but at least I can see what you posted now.

Bill

Yes this is what I have experienced a few times with other users images.

What might be interesting to try is, having successfully clicked on the box link (this just opens the jpeg web address), to try reloading/refreshing the offending AMASS thread page and see if the embedded images now load.

Gear List

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
4,462 posts
Gallery: 1894 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 25, 2020 13:03 |  #9

Lester Wareham wrote in post #19143046 (external link)
Yes this is what I have experienced a few times with other users images.

What might be interesting to try is, having successfully clicked on the box link (this just opens the jpeg web address), to try reloading/refreshing the offending AMASS thread page and see if the embedded images now load.

Just tried that...no joy

Lester ­ Wareham
THREAD ­ STARTER
29,601 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 25, 2020 14:14 |  #10

Ok so we don't know for sure what is wrong but the work around is to click the link in the box, probably most comfortable thing is to right click and choose open in a new tab from the context menu.

For a permanent fix I would try clearing the cookies for the POTN site and see if that helps.

Gear List

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,932 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited 1 month ago by Pekka. (4 edits in all)

Oct 25, 2020 14:41 |  #11

Lester Wareham wrote in post #19143111 (external link)
Ok so we don't know for sure what is wrong but the work around is to click the link in the box, probably most comfortable thing is to right click and choose open in a new tab from the context menu.

For a permanent fix I would try clearing the cookies for the POTN site and see if that helps.

POTN cookies have nothing to do with this. Most likely there is a VPN (or other) cache involved on some point in the image server and it has gone bad/stale. The link to IMG is just what it is, a link. There is zero code, manipulation, processing or other gizmos in between the link and the server it directs to. The cause of any problem is in the remote server.

In post https://photography-on-the.net …633&mg=34664&i=​i237615022
URL http://www.ware.myzen.​co.uk …ns%20A01_005_07​-06-18.jpg (external link)
brings "not found" on every browser I use. Many of your posts are the same.

EDIT: to me it looks like the URLs are simply wrong. Maybe you have changed something it your image server? Check your server.

When image was working when posted, and later became not found, this will delay page load as POTN will try to load the image for few seconds. AMASS marks bad images bad, so the explanation comes right away and image is not attempted at all. For older posts recheck happens only if post is edited.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Lester ­ Wareham
THREAD ­ STARTER
29,601 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 25, 2020 15:24 |  #12

Pekka wrote in post #19143117 (external link)
POTN cookies have nothing to do with this. Most likely there is a VPN (or other) cache involved on some point in the image server and it has gone bad/stale. The link to IMG is just what it is, a link. There is zero code, manipulation, processing or other gizmos in between the link and the server it directs to. The cause of any problem is in the remote server.

In post https://photography-on-the.net …633&mg=34664&i=​i237615022
URL http://www.ware.myzen.​co.uk …ns%20A01_005_07​-06-18.jpg (external link)
brings "not found" on every browser I use. Many of your posts are the same.

EDIT: to me it looks like the URLs are simply wrong. Maybe you have changed something it your image server? Check your server.

When image was working when posted, and later became not found, this will delay page load as POTN will try to load the image for few seconds. This is why mod's IMAGECHECK command marks bad images bad, so the explanation comes right away and image is not attempted at all.

That is a another issue Pekka, I had to move some of the image files to a different server due to space limitations. This may have orphaned some older images.

The issues reported above occurred with current/recent known good image postings.

As you can see from the above, the user's browser can load the image link directly, just not when embedded in a page.

As far as I can see both the POTN code and my image server are very straightforward. Although it was new behaviour with AMASS, that does not imply causation.

Unfortunately i am at the limit of my incompetence (as they say) for HTML/Jarva so any advice is welcome.

Gear List

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,932 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Oct 25, 2020 15:26 as a reply to  @ Pekka's post |  #13

I checked some more and it looks to me that there is a referer problem, in other words your server allows links to images and "machine access", but prevents display in browser.

With post https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18918770 if you do Imagecheck, it gets the image OK, but browser can't show them.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,932 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Oct 25, 2020 15:28 |  #14

Pekka wrote in post #19143142 (external link)
I checked some more and it looks to me that there is a referer problem, in other words your server allows links to images and "machine access", but prevents display in browser.

With post https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18918770 if you do Imagecheck, it gets the image OK, but browser can't show them.

And as you posted them (and were ok), there have been no changes in AMASS at all. So it seems the issue developed between that and now.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,932 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited 1 month ago by Pekka.

Oct 25, 2020 15:32 |  #15

UPDATE: I found the "problem":

"Mixed Content: The page at 'https://photography-on-the.net …70&mg=34664&i=i​100320315' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure element 'http://www.ware.myzen.​co.uk …f%20A01_001_08-07-19.jpg' (external link). This request was automatically upgraded to HTTPS, For more information see https://blog.chromium.​org/2019/10/no-more-mixed-messages-about-https.html"

Bottom line is that https is required for all sites. Browser change links from http to https automatically "on the fly" when on secure pages like POTN.

Your server does not deliver secure content, so it fails.

sponsored links

633 views & 8 likes for this thread
Increasing Problems with my Server Images not Showing in AMASS
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.