Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Dec 2020 (Monday) 11:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

X-S10 - Thoughts?

mikeporterinmd
118 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 21, 2020 11:06 |  #1

My introduction to Fujifilm was the X-T30. I really enjoyed this camera a great deal. My only issue was that it is a little small and I have relatively large hands. So, I added a hand grip and a thumb grip. Sure, I would hit the Q button sometimes. On the other hand hand, it was easy to find.

I decided to switch to the X-S10 after reading about the new grip and most particularly IBIS. I use a lot of largish manual focus lens that I love to use in low light. The possibility of getting nice photos at really low shutter speeds was quite a draw for me. I wasn't sure how well IBIS would work with the manual lens. And would the lack of the SCM switch make a big difference to my shooting style?

First, I am only going to talk about my experiences that I haven't read about many times over in DPR and other places on the web.

So, first off: yes, manual focus lens like my Kamlan 50mm f1.1 and Zhongyi 35mm f0.95 work perfectly well with the X-S10. IBIS works nicely. You do want to set the lens focal length to be something at least close to what you have mounted using the adapter settings. I tested a 300mm Rokinon f6.3 mirror lens in the store, and IBIS was a bit spastic until we set the focal length to 300mm. SCM settings are available via an option on the Q menu, so I don't miss the switch too much. In a way, using the Q menu might be an advantage if I re-arrange the settings so the type of autofocus (zone, face, etc) is near the SCM setting. I tended to never use these advanced settings on the X-T30, probably to my detriment. I decided to leave the Q menu alone for the time being, other than changing a few defaults on the options (focus peaking/R-H).

I was surprised at the lack of push buttons on the dials. Also, only the F(n) dial which, while shooting, is the left-most dial is re-definable. The default for all modes on this dial except Filter is film simulation. Great for SOOC jpeg shooters most likely, but less useful for those of us who shoot raw and do most of our work in post. I redefined this dial to be a focus range limit. This is a pretty neat option. Keeps autofocus from hunting through ranges where you know the subject isn't. A disappointment: the range limit does not work for face detect. But it does seems to work with regular follow focus. Need to experiment with that. Until recently, I shot with manual lenses quite a bit, and so have limited experience.

This all being said: I haven't had any control issues. I am still learning muscle memory to quickly access the Q and ISO buttons, but I'm getting better. The ISO button works fine, and in many ways I like the ISO button better since I do not have to move my hands on the camera as much. However, on the X-T30, I had ISO on the front dial. I don't recall if that's the default or not. I'd call it a wash.

There is also a strange firmware issue with the X-T30 and changing ISO using the front dial. Sometimes it would get into a mode where moving the dial either way would cause the ISO to drop until it hit 80L where it would stick. Had to power off and back on in order to get the ISO changed. It didn't happen often, but often enough. No similar issues with the X-S10 that I've seen.

I have not programmed the F(n) button yet. It's pretty easy to get to.

I am getting face detect sometimes on animal shots. An error? Are my dogs too human like? I don't know. I haven't done a lot of testing. I don't use eye detect too often.

Goes through battery fairly quickly. You will almost certainly want two or three batteries. I shoot with Boost turned on always. IBIS is set to turn on at time of shot, which is the most battery friendly way.

I don't think I'll need a thumb grip with this camera. Looking forward to being able to use a flash. Oh, that was another motivating factor for making the switch. Getting my hot-shoe back.

I'm glad I made the switch. The aesthetics of the X-T30 are probably better and there are more buttons, but overall, I'm happy. I should be able to sell the X-T30 at the local camera shop for a good price. Not quite as good as I had hoped because Fuji is offering a $100 rebate on the X-T30. But, on the other hand, the store can't actually get X-T30s.

At the same time, I picked up a Viltrox 56mm F1.4 lens. Works well with the camera. I am likely to shift back to some autofocus lens. We'll see, but I think that is a topic for a different thread.

Quick summary: the sensor in the X-S10, X-T30 and X-T4 is the same, so I am not discussing image quality here.

Mike

Gear: Fujifilm: X-S10, XF16 f1.4 R WR, XF18-55 f2.8-4 R LM OIS, XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R LM OIS, KamLan: 50mm f1.1, Pergear 7.5mm f2.8, 25mm,35mm,50mm F1.6 or so, Laowa 9mm f2.8, 65mm f2.8, Canon 300mm f4 L nFD, Nikon: 28mm f2.8 AiS, 50mm f2.0 Ai | URLS: Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link)

sponsored links
scokar
Goldmember
1,079 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 24, 2020 11:40 |  #2

Thanks.

Is it using the latest firmware?

https://fujifilm-x.com …d/firmware/came​ras/x-s10/ (external link)

If you get the chance, do a 30 day follow up.

mikeporterinmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited 11 months ago by mikeporterinmd.

Dec 24, 2020 12:20 |  #3

scokar wrote in post #19171322 (external link)
Thanks.

Is it using the latest firmware?

https://fujifilm-x.com …d/firmware/came​ras/x-s10/ (external link)

If you get the chance, do a 30 day follow up.

Thanks for pointing out the update. I am on 1.01. I don't think I'll put on 1.02 unless I am bored. I don't normally use Auto mode.

The only thing I would change in the above writeup so far is that the F(n) button might be a little harder to get to than I realized. I still do not have it defined beyond the default, which I do not use. I'll certainly do future additions. I ordered some Godox flash equipment, so I'll note any issues I have with it. This will be the first time I have a flash trigger so I can do off camera flash. Excited to see what I can do with it.

Mike

Gear: Fujifilm: X-S10, XF16 f1.4 R WR, XF18-55 f2.8-4 R LM OIS, XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R LM OIS, KamLan: 50mm f1.1, Pergear 7.5mm f2.8, 25mm,35mm,50mm F1.6 or so, Laowa 9mm f2.8, 65mm f2.8, Canon 300mm f4 L nFD, Nikon: 28mm f2.8 AiS, 50mm f2.0 Ai | URLS: Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link)

mikeporterinmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 26, 2020 18:05 |  #4

I've seen some reviewers state that ISO is adjusted by pressing the ISO button (True) and then using the focus lever (thumb stick) to adjust ISO (True). However, I personally find it easier to adjust ISO using the ISO button and then using the back/right dial, shutter half press to exit ISO selection mode. The combination is pretty easy to do without adjusting your grip very much and large changes from say 160 to 3200 are pretty fast and accurate.

If I used the focus lever for adjusting ISO, I might considering adding ISO adjustment to the F(n) button.

I have never accidentally pressed the movie record button when going for Q or ISO until I read a review where the reviewer had that problem. I guess reading too many reviews generates problems?

Mike

mikeporterinmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited 11 months ago by mikeporterinmd.

Dec 28, 2020 13:50 |  #5

Thought I would take the time to clear up a few points. First, buttons which can re-programmed are: On the top right: F(n), Record, Q and ISO; Top back: AEL and AF ON. Plus the touch swipes. The shooting menu and play buttons do not appear to be re-programmable.

I changed my AEL and AF ON to be lock buttons.

I set F(n) to be the old SCM switch (basically). Choices between AF-S, AF-C and M can be made using the rear dial or the focus lever. I set the record button to turn face detection on and off. I will likely change this, but we'll see. Everyone is out at the moment, so I can't really test how I like having fast access to Face detection.

My earlier criticism over battery life needs to be reassessed. Turns out I had image stabilization set to always on. I reset it to shooting mode (half press of the shutter or release) and I changed all four banks of custom settings to also use image stabilization: shooting mode.

Something I had never noticed before: the aperture appears to change size all the time in response to the lighting. I had never noticed this, but it is pretty evident on the Viltrox 56mm F1.4. You can hear it. I doubled checked with a Fuji 18-55 and it does the same, but a little more quietly. Of course, it has a lot less blade area to move around. Do other Fuji cameras do this?

Mike

mikeporterinmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 11, 2021 23:17 |  #6

I'm still really loving this camera. Occasionally I miss the classic styling of the X-T30, but then I just pick up the X-S10 and ...ah. It just feels so much better.

This camera is leading me back to Fuji/autofocus lens and away from extreme large F-stop manual lens. I've picked up the XF-18 F2.0 (it's not sharp on in the corners. Meh.) and the XF-27 F2.8 lens (So small, so light!). I'm almost certainly going to get a used XF-35 F1.4 and part with one or more of my Zhongyi 35mm F0.95 and KamLan 50mm F1.1 Mark II lens. Maybe a few more. A Viltrox 56mm F1.4 is basically replacing the KamLan. I thought real hard about going for a used XF-56 F1.2 but have decided against it. The age of the lens; it still isn't all the cheap used; the overall image quality of the Viltrox, and finally: I don't shoot at 56mm all that often. I won't know about the XC-35 F2.0 until I try the XF-35 F1.4.

On the XC-35 F2.0: it's sooo light! And it's a darn nice lens. The plastic mount sort of bothered me, but I doubt I will wear it out any time soon. And plastic can be very strong. So, for a 50% savings and the weight difference - and you do feel it - I thought it was worthwhile. Oh, and since I tend to shoot aperture preferred, and the front dial on the X-S10 is always aperture, not having a ring isn't really all that big of a deal. So, I bought the prior model XF-27 and saved about $150 and the XC-35 F2.0 is about $200 less than the XF-35 F2.0 - same optics. So, forcing me to use that front dial for aperture saved me $350 in lens :-)

On electronic lens: I've taken to leaving the lens on A and using the dial anyhow. One handed shooting. Oh, and I walk with two canes, so one handed shooting is a real advantage for me. Especially in a bit of wind :-)

However, I am keeping the Laowa 9mm F2.8m, Laowa 65mm (macro) F2.8 and the Rokinon 12mm F2.? (It's not Rokinon - the other name...). The Rokinon 85mm F1.4 is pretty fun, too. And a number of Pergear lens are fun, too. I've had great fun with the 7.5mm fisheye, for instance.

DPReview did a recent review and chose the X-T30 as one of their two choices for under $1000 kits (with the small XC zoom). The X-S10 isn't under $1000 in a kit, but if you can afford the extra, IBIS and the grip make the X-S10 a better choice in my opinion. Unless you need the extra customizable dials and buttons that the X-T30 provides....

I've taken photos at 1/2 second. If only people could stay still! Interestingly, a dog intent on food can easily stay still for 1/2 second.

Mike

eastwest4023
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2021

Jun 06, 2021 12:13 |  #7

My first post. I have both the X-T3 and X-S10. I bought the X-S10 as a Christmas present for myself. When I go to photoshoots I'm always grabbing the X-T3. Old habits are hard to break. My poor X-S10 is sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I wish now I would have bought the Fujifilm XF 80mm f2.8 as a present to myself. I think I want to get into macro photography and I'm told this is an excellent macro lens.

I should bite the dust and sell the X-S10 and get the lens I want. The X-S10 is in mint condition but if I sell I know I will take a hit. It has been on my mind since Dec. Don't get me wrong, the X-S10 does an excellent job taking pictures, as most of you know. I believe video is much better with the X-S10 but I'm not into video these days. It is younger and sexier than the X-T3 but my level of confidence and experience is imprinted in my brain when I have the X-T3 in my hand. Fuji why do you have to be so expensive?:-D

Any recommendations were to sell camera equipment?

FujiFilm X-T3 and X-S10 owner. Thinking of selling my X-S10

mikeporterinmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 06, 2021 22:06 as a reply to  @ eastwest4023's post |  #8

I think if you do not need the IBIS (or use it) and appreciate the grip of the X-S10, it makes sense to sell it. From what I've heard, the X-S10 is backordered big time, but I do not know the demand, either. Probably would sell quickly on Ebay. I can say that the X-T30 is backordered, but I have had one for sale for several months in this forum at a decent price and have not had a nibble. X-T30, X-T30... goooo... X-T30!

For me, I am really, really happy with the X-S10. But, how would it compare to the X-T4? I don't really know, but the X-T4 is more or less out of my price range anyhow.

IBIS is a major win for me because i really like shooting low light/slow shutter speed. I pretty much do not shoot in the rain or really harsh conditions, nor do I need the other pro features of the X-T3/4 (dual cards, high speed cards, video capabilities, etc.)

As for macro, I ended up buying a Laowa 65mm F2.8 macro. Not autofocus, but wow, what a lens. And small, lightweight, $400 (I think), and very versatile. I really enjoy shooting with that lens. Also, it's a 2x macro. I was Googling that to make sure, and found that Adorama has an open box for $331, and there are a few other deals available as well.

An aside: So, as an ex-Canon shooter, I find it funny that I am likely to buy a 300 mm F4 L nFD lens tonight. Or at least decide which one I want. I've been wanting a larger, sharper telephoto, and find the prices on the Canon 300 F4 L in my range (as versus say the Fuji 100-400 which might be a better choice if one does not figure in price.) So, is $100 worth it for a box and a nicer leather case and a "more mint" version? I'm thinking it might be. ($479) I was looking at the Tokina and Tamron 300 F2.8 lens, but decided against them based on weight and size alone. The Canon 300m F2.8 L is priced more than I'm willing to spend.

Mike

mikeporterinmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 06, 2021 22:12 as a reply to  @ mikeporterinmd's post |  #9

... turns out I now change ISO using both methods. Large changes can be made quickly using the dial, and small changes using the thumb lever. Sometimes I'll jump from 160 to somewhere around 3000 using the dial and then adjust using the lever to 3200 which is my preferred setting for low light. 500 for "not 160". I handle the camera a lot. Sometimes I have no idea what I'm doing, it's just there. And occasionally I'll have a broad daylight photo shot at ISO 3200 because I wasn't paying attention. However, there is no mistaking the electronic shutter which will fire over the physical shutter, so you will know when that happens. Hopefully there is a second shot waiting!

Mike

Ozimax
340 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 28, 2021 23:53 |  #10

Ive shot Fuji for many years but have been shooting Canon for a couple of years. Just ordered an X-S10 / 16-80 / 35 f1.4 which should all arrive this week. I'm selling the superlative X100V to help fund this purchase. Love the little 23mm lens but the ergonomics are terrible. Looking forward to the better ergonomics of the X-s10. And of course the Fuji 35mm F1.4 is one of the greatest lens of all time, in any brand.

Instead of loving things and using people, why not use things and love people? :-)

mikeporterinmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 29, 2021 22:37 as a reply to  @ Ozimax's post |  #11

The XF35 f1.4 is one of my favorite lenses by far. I have an XC35 f2 also. I'm keeping it for now in case I want video in that focal length, but we'll see. But, don't neglect the Laowa 65mm F2.8 macro. It's an APO lens and just lovely. Short throw on the focus at a distance, though. Practice is needed if you want to be fast and accurate.

After agonizing for several weeks, I decided to try a Canon nFD 300mm f4 L. I've seen so many photos taken with it that I've loved. it should match my style.

Mike

Ozimax
340 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 01, 2021 20:59 as a reply to  @ mikeporterinmd's post |  #12

Mike you have quite on assortment of off brand lens in your collection!

Instead of loving things and using people, why not use things and love people? :-)

mikeporterinmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 04, 2021 12:43 as a reply to  @ Ozimax's post |  #13

.. and now I can add Minolta and Canon. Need to update my sig!

Mike

sponsored links

1,558 views & 11 likes for this thread
X-S10 - Thoughts?
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.