Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
Thread started 28 Feb 2021 (Sunday) 20:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Watch stand-holder

ra40
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Gallery: 609 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 28, 2021 20:55 |  #1

Some experimenting for product shoots where I may want to have the item in suspension. The plus is that this makes using a solid background for cut outs too. The adjustable angle also allows the support arm to be covered by the face of the watch so that cloning the support out isn't necessary when in tight. Would like to make this toolless so possibly some smallish thumb screws can be found.

The well worn and beaten Casio 5600 as a test sample.

Build materials:
6060-T6 1/8".1250" aluminum
hard maple
#6-32 stainless screws

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
ra40
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 28, 2021 20:58 |  #2

This was the first variant but cloning took some work on some complex backgrounds.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from ra40's gallery.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

vision35
605 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 5 months ago by vision35. (2 edits in all)

Mar 28, 2021 22:25 as a reply to  @ ra40's post |  #3

Off to a great start. Try a magic act.. Simply choose a background color then paint the rods the same color. The metal rods are inexpensve enough most places.

ra40
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 29, 2021 13:15 |  #4

Thanks. Decided to make this. I've not worked hard maple to be familiar with how it machines so when the roundover was routed on the edge I scorched it. A few passes with sandpaper fixes that but I need to practice more.

HOSTED PHOTO

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,788 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by Wilt.

Mar 29, 2021 13:22 |  #5

And if i was interested in purchasing the watch holder on an oscillating base, to keep my self-winding watch operating, even when I don't wear it for days, what might that cost? :lol:

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ra40
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 5 months ago by ra40. (2 edits in all)

Mar 29, 2021 13:44 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #6

Making simple stuff at the moment. I'd Looked at Orbita and Wolf winders but seemed crazy to spend nearly as much on a winder as the watch costs. Well not exactly but $1,200 watch with a $700+ winder. The budget winders worked to some extent but they died in 1-2 years. It was buy those budget ones at $60-$80 or buy the $$ right off. At the 10 year mark it was comparable.

Fortunately-unfortunately the mechanicals all required service at 3-6 years so to repair and maintain at $350+, I went back to quartz. One mechanical that remained working 10+ years was the budget $150 Seiko. The watch guy said rebuilding it to lubricate and clean would cost $175. He could swap the movement for much less as those cost $30 with $60 labor. For $80 more (Prices went up) just buy a new version. LOL.

That Hamilton is my only true working mechanical. I don't wind it so that I can do practice shots where it is. :-D

sponsored links

787 views & 0 likes for this thread
Watch stand-holder
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.