Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Mar 2021 (Friday) 15:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo ownership (a little dsturbing, though....)

this thread is locked
Pigpen101
Goldmember
3,337 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 05, 2021 15:28 |  #1

A very raw subject. Always was, but has become much more so lately.. I am not trying to make any type of statement, just sharing information to fellow photographers..

https://www.postandcou​rier.com …eb-9922-539fa08cfc9e.html (external link)

sponsored links
Pigpen101
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,337 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 06, 2021 11:25 |  #2

Wow! Zero response! Do people not care, or afraid to comment on it????

I understand, no matter what is said it will be criticized.

NullMember
Goldmember
3,019 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 06, 2021 11:40 |  #3
bannedPermanently

I agree with the judge.

The world has gone mad; political correctness is the bane of modern-day society.

People living in the here and now should concentrate on the hear and now. What happened in the past should stay in the past; learn from it and move on.

Whatever next, Henry VIII being tried for murder? Lets face it there are quite a few families that would have a very good case against him.

HKGuns
Goldmember
1,773 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by HKGuns.

Mar 06, 2021 11:52 |  #4

The citizens of the "outrage" society, propped up by the political pandering of gutless politicians hungry for more power. I can't read ALL of the story because I run an ad blocker. I really don't need to as its been on full display for about the last 20 years.

Pigpen101
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,337 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 06, 2021 11:54 as a reply to  @ NullMember's post |  #5

It's a tough subject, no doubt. Our country (and many others) haves some very disturbing history. We should not ignore !! We also should not cancel it!!

"Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.", or something like that.

I believe the university owns the photos. I also believe they should use those photos to show how disgusting they are. If they can make money with, great! Donate every penny to the proper causes! Tearing down statues of Robert E. Lee does not end racism. I would argue it INCREASES racism. If you start tearing apart a person's culture/history, they will just hate you more.

Capn ­ Jack
Cream of the Crop
7,365 posts
Gallery: 2676 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 06, 2021 12:00 |  #6

HKGuns wrote in post #19204861 (external link)
The citizens of the "outrage" society, propped up by the political pandering of gutless politicians hungry for more power. I can't read the story because I run an ad blocker. I really don't need to as its been on full display for about the last 20 years.

If you couldn't read it, how can you properly comment on the article?

Pigpen101
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,337 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 06, 2021 12:06 as a reply to  @ Capn Jack's post |  #7

The story is now everywhere. It wasn't when I first posted it.

Capn ­ Jack
Cream of the Crop
7,365 posts
Gallery: 2676 photos
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by Capn Jack. (2 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2021 12:15 |  #8

Pigpen101 wrote in post #19204869 (external link)
The story is now everywhere. It wasn't when I first posted it.

Whatever...s/he said they couldn't read the story, they said they didn't need to read it either.
I'm merely curious how one can post cogently on a subject they couldn't read, and further said they didn't need to read it, either.

HKGuns wrote in post #19204861 (external link)
The citizens of the "outrage" society, propped up by the political pandering of gutless politicians hungry for more power. I can't read the story because I run an ad blocker. I really don't need to as its been on full display for about the last 20 years.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,774 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (6 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2021 16:09 |  #9

Ignoring the subject matter of the photos, as controversial subjects, if we first adhere to the principle that we all, as photographers, believe about the photographs we take, we own the Copyright. And if the subject is on public property and has no expectation of privacy even if not on public property...

"But the judge hearing the case sided with Harvard, which argued that Lanier had no legal claim to the photos. In her decision, Middlesex Superior Court Judge Camille Sarrouf said the photos are the property of the photographer, not the subject."

...the judge is protecting our inherent rights as the photographer! Imagine if anyone appearing as the subject of our photograph, while on public property, laid claim to our photographs of them and were given possession of our photograph, or their heirs doing the same to us. We would very loudly object!

Subjects in photos taken 'for commercial purposes' do have some form of compensation for the subject, unless they signed a release. But I doubt that the photo was take for that reason...in the days before commercial advertising or before images of people were widely used on labels to promote the product.

Back to the subject, people in slavery. The exhibition of photos arguably do not exploit, but serve as a record of history. And, as a record of historical fact, what would be the rational explanation to remove the display of what happened? We or institutions of education display images of WWII criminal actions to remind us to NOT REPEAT the attrocities, not as an exploitation of those of Jewish descent. I believe OP followup post #5 states it properly.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Pigpen101
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,337 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 06, 2021 16:13 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #10

This is why I posted it, as a "win" for photographers, but the topic is a tough one..

BRC
76 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 07, 2021 18:11 |  #11

Pigpen101 wrote in post #19204848 (external link)
Wow! Zero response! Do people not care, or afraid to comment on it????

I understand, no matter what is said it will be criticized.

Ummmm, I don't care....Not sure how the plaintiff actually proved the relationship...but I dont care once I read Benjamin Crump was involved...

Pigpen101
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,337 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 07, 2021 18:24 as a reply to  @ BRC's post |  #12

I have no idea about him so I won't comment (I mean, I did a quick google search so I know who is is). That being said, I believe lawyers play a large roll in the crumbling of our society. Just posting a win for photographers.

flyfisher
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 09, 2021 16:49 |  #13

I wonder how Tamara Lanier knew that these photo’s were taken against their will the were taken in 1850.

I know that a lot people want to change the history of slavery but it is part of the history of what happened in the US at the time whether we agree with it or not we cannot change it. The people we’re doing what was accepted
behavior of the time period. The Egyptian’s had slaves but I’ve not seen anyone destroying the Pyramids.

I understand that there are many views on this subject and everyone will have their own opinion and there in mine there is no room for racism, but we can not change the past bet we can learn from it

Steve

Pigpen101
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,337 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 09, 2021 17:17 as a reply to  @ flyfisher's post |  #14

I would agree with you, mostly.. One can argue the photo was taken without their consent just by the fact they are slaves & would choose not to be there if a choose would be given.

This leads to another issue, one I dealt with just 2 hours ago. Went to my old hometown to shoot some "street" photography. I don't do that type of photography, I just got a new film camera with a 3 month warranty & wanted to run a roll through to test it. Someone called the police because "someone was walking around town ASKING people if he could take their photo." How dare I be polite & ASK when I don't have to!!!!

There is no expectation of privacy out in public. So, even if the subjects were not slaves, if they were out in public they do not need to give permission.

Again, I believe the fact that they are slaves automatically shows this was taken without permission. EVERYTHING they were doing was against their will...

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,774 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.

Mar 09, 2021 19:39 as a reply to  @ Pigpen101's post |  #15

Be glad that some lady did not accuse you of taking lewd photos of them as they bent over to admire a flower...it HAS happened!

Be glad no one accused you of surreptitiously taking photos of children...shooting on film, you would have no immiediate proof of your innocence, and no ability to exhibit the photos taken nor the ability to immediatedly remove 'offensive' photos...you'd almost have to pull the roll out and expose it to the light!

Society has gone crazy.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

1,956 views & 28 likes for this thread
Photo ownership (a little dsturbing, though....)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.