Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Jun 2022 (Tuesday) 10:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

-= Canon EOS R7 owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

mcoren
Beware the title fairies!
1,161 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited 7 months ago by mcoren.

Jun 21, 2022 10:08 |  #1

Discussion and images from Canon's first enthusiast APS-C "R" body.

Being apparently the first POTN user to actually receive one, I'm putting my stake in the ground and starting the official thread. Woo-hoo!

IMAGE: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/images/hostedphotos_lq/2022/06/3/LQ_1164904.jpg
Image hosted by forum (1164904) © mcoren [SHARE LINK]
THIS IS A LOW QUALITY PREVIEW. Please log in to see the good quality stuff.

Canon EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), and Sony α6400
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas and Sonys
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
26,996 posts
Gallery: 1051 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited 7 months ago by Peter2516. (2 edits in all)

Jun 21, 2022 10:50 |  #2

Congratulations Mcoren. I can’t wait for my copy. I pre ordered locally hopefully I get a phone call pretty soon. And thanks for starting this thread.

I unfollowed the other thread ;). And I am glad this is official.

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 1Dx, EOS R6, EOS R7, 7D Mark I & II / EF 600mm f/4L IS USM MK II / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF100 -400 f4.5-5.6L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII.

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,569 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Jul 2009
Post edited 7 months ago by Immaculens with reason 'Addition'.

Jun 21, 2022 11:00 |  #3

Congrats - be poised to receive the tradition 'low light' shot requests, high ISO, Raw image downloads, and unreasonable testing procedures like its the only thing you should make time for lol. Enjoy and get out and shoot.

What bodies are you coming from?
My request lol is let me know how a previous body felt and how does the R7 compare.

And - how is the EVF?

Thanks!

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 100-400L IS II | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM |
Learn to love to do well, and you shall.
~ C. Poseidon

Lester ­ Wareham
31,458 posts
Gallery: 3034 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 21, 2022 11:04 |  #4

I'm watching.

My Photography Home Page (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
flickr (external link) Flickr Home (external link)

Jeff ­ USN ­ Photog ­ 72-76
I can't believe I miss-typed
2,559 posts
Gallery: 586 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Jun 21, 2022 11:07 |  #5

I called my large local camera store to see if they are going to rent them they said no at first as they specialize in FF but then did say they rent the 90D and then called me back and said they will be getting one in on the 23rd (?) and to call then and that I am the only one who has asked about rental.

"sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it is not logical but it is true" Commander Spock
"Free advice is seldom cheap" Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
I might not always be right, but I am never wrong! Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken!

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,161 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jun 21, 2022 11:55 |  #6

Immaculens wrote in post #19394262 (external link)
Congrats - be poised to receive the tradition 'low light' shot requests, Raw image downloads, and unreasonable testing procedures like its the only thing you should make time for lol. Enjoy and get out and shoot.

What bodies are you coming from?
My request lol is let me know how a previous body felt and how does the R7 compare.

And - how is the EVF?

Thanks!

Thanks. Unfortunately I won't be able to really spend much quality time with it before the weekend, and by that time I'll be just one of many owners here, and not a particularly knowledgeable one at that. This is simply my accidental 15 minutes. :-)

I'm coming from a 7DII, although for the past year I've also been using a Sony a6400 with an adapter. This is my first R body and I'm not even familiar with the M6II, so there are a lot of unfamiliar modes I need to learn that I've never used like flexible priority and RAW burst mode.

Illustrating that point, and to your EVF question, when I was looking through it last night, the EVF seemed fine inside my house, but occasionally it would suddenly get dark and the frame rate dropped noticeably. Eventually I realized that was the automatic power saving kicking in when I didn't push any buttons for 10 seconds! I think there's a menu setting to change the time on that.

For the feel comparison, it's a lot lighter than the 7DII, that's for sure! The grip is a good size and I don't anticipate any difficulty holding it with the adapted Sigma 100-400|C. I usually don't use neck straps, but I like the Peak Design Clutch hand strap and I find that helps a lot. I never had a problem holding that lens on the Sony with it, and its grip is much less deep.

I am a little bit concerned about the rear dial/joystick combo only because I have long thumbs and it might be an awkward bend trying to get onto them. The reviewers I've seen have said they were able to quickly get used to that so I'm hopeful.

Hope that helps!

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,569 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 21, 2022 12:36 |  #7

mcoren wrote in post #19394299 (external link)
Thanks. Unfortunately I won't be able to really spend much quality time with it before the weekend, and by that time I'll be just one of many owners here, and not a particularly knowledgeable one at that. This is simply my accidental 15 minutes. :-)

I'm coming from a 7DII, although for the past year I've also been using a Sony a6400 with an adapter. This is my first R body and I'm not even familiar with the M6II, so there are a lot of unfamiliar modes I need to learn that I've never used like flexible priority and RAW burst mode.

Illustrating that point, and to your EVF question, when I was looking through it last night, the EVF seemed fine inside my house, but occasionally it would suddenly get dark and the frame rate dropped noticeably. Eventually I realized that was the automatic power saving kicking in when I didn't push any buttons for 10 seconds! I think there's a menu setting to change the time on that.

For the feel comparison, it's a lot lighter than the 7DII, that's for sure! The grip is a good size and I don't anticipate any difficulty holding it with the adapted Sigma 100-400|C. I usually don't use neck straps, but I like the Peak Design Clutch hand strap and I find that helps a lot. I never had a problem holding that lens on the Sony with it, and its grip is much less deep.

I am a little bit concerned about the rear dial/joystick combo only because I have long thumbs and it might be an awkward bend trying to get onto them. The reviewers I've seen have said they were able to quickly get used to that so I'm hopeful.

Hope that helps!

Yes thank-you. I find my 7D2 a little big - my 70D was a good fit, and I've held the R5 2 times and seems a very good fit.

I forgot that users want to see 'high ISO' shots, which I meant to say instead of low light lol.

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 100-400L IS II | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM |
~ C. Poseidon

2,559 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Jun 21, 2022 14:04 |  #8

Immaculens wrote in post #19394325 (external link)
Yes thank-you. I find my 7D2 a little big - my 70D was a good fit, and I've held the R5 2 times and seems a very good fit.

I forgot that users want to see 'high ISO' shots, which I meant to say instead of low light lol.

I was using my 7DII today and for me it is the perfect size, all fingers on the grip, unlike my 90D where the pinky wiggles below the grip

"sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it is not logical but it is true" Commander Spock
I might not always be right, but I am never wrong! Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,882 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 21, 2022 14:25 |  #9

Pictures or it didn't happen!
How do we know you aren't just CLAIMING to have an R7? I mean seriously man!  :p

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,161 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited 7 months ago by mcoren.

Jun 21, 2022 14:45 |  #10

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #19394368 (external link)
Pictures or it didn't happen!
How do we know you aren't just CLAIMING to have an R7? I mean seriously man!  :p

If I post pics tonight, is POTN ready to recognize BOTH the R7 and RF-S 18-150 from the metadata?
?;-)a

Edit: I haven’t looked to see if they’re in the gear browser yet.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,882 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 21, 2022 14:59 |  #11

mcoren wrote in post #19394379 (external link)
If I post pics tonight, is POTN ready to recognize BOTH the R7 and RF-S 18-150 from the metadata?
?;-)a

Edit: I haven’t looked to see if they’re in the gear browser yet.

Um, no!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,161 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jun 21, 2022 15:12 |  #12

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #19394391 (external link)
Um, no!

LOL. Well I’ll give you metadata tonight.

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,569 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 21, 2022 15:20 |  #13

Jeff USN Photog 72-76 wrote in post #19394356 (external link)
I was using my 7DII today and for me it is the perfect size, all fingers on the grip, unlike my 90D where the pinky wiggles below the grip

Fortunately the 90D can accomodate a battery grip for you...

Have you held the R5?

~ C. Poseidon

2,559 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Jun 21, 2022 15:47 |  #14

Immaculens wrote in post #19394404 (external link)
Fortunately the 90D can accomodate a battery grip for you...

Have you held the R5?

I use the battery grip on the 90D all the time, it makes a huge difference.

I have never held a R5 but went to Hunt's Photo in Providence RI yesterday to check out the EVF and grip on the R6, pinky below...
The EVF will take a bit of getting used to, with a burst seemed to be a series of quick photos

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Bug Magnet
21,665 posts
Gallery: 435 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 21, 2022 15:48 |  #15

mcoren wrote in post #19394299 (external link)

Oh come on, there’s always time to shoot something in and around the house. You mentioned a cat somewhere I think. Nothing better than a cat for your first images with a new camera. Except maybe a duck, but that old POTN tradition seems to have been forgotten. So shoot the cat. Or a coffee pot or a flower. Anything!

Please?

Wild Birds of Europe: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=19371752
Please QUOTE the comment to which you are responding!

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

312,650 views & 9,983 likes for this thread, 111 members have posted to it and it is followed by 87 members.
-= Canon EOS R7 owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.