Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Jun 2022 (Tuesday) 10:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

-= Canon EOS R7 owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

digital ­ paradise
"It takes a bit of work to get it in."
18,963 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 30, 2022 15:07 |  #3481

VSS2011 wrote in post #19451706 (external link)
Nice one, Lester. Is it edible?

I hope so and will I stare at the sink for two hours? :-P

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Lester ­ Wareham
31,458 posts
Gallery: 3034 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 01, 2022 03:30 |  #3482

Thanks.

VSS2011 wrote in post #19451706 (external link)
Nice one, Lester. Is it edible?

From Wikipedia:

Coprinopsis picacea is a species of fungus in the family Psathyrellaceae. It is commonly called magpie inkcap fungus.
The species can sometimes be confused with the edible Coprinus comatus. [Shaggy ink cap]

From WildFoodUK

Poisonous causing alarming symptoms but not affecting everybody. Don’t take a chance!

So no.

My Photography Home Page (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
flickr (external link) Flickr Home (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
14,220 posts
Gallery: 685 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited 2 months ago by Archibald.

Dec 01, 2022 19:03 |  #3483

Wild Red Fox.

IMAGE: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/images/hostedphotos_lq/2022/12/1/LQ_1187578.jpg
Image hosted by forum (1187578) © Archibald [SHARE LINK]
THIS IS A LOW QUALITY PREVIEW. Please log in to see the good quality stuff.
Taken with focus on the shutter button, whole area AF, and with tracking and eye detect on.

Canon R5 and R7, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX100, Pentax Spotmatic F
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here
I'm probably listening to Davide of MIMIC (external link)

Capn ­ Jack
Cream of the Crop
7,793 posts
Gallery: 2736 photos
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited 2 months ago by Capn Jack.

Dec 01, 2022 21:18 |  #3484

Archibald wrote in post #19451182 (external link)
Isn't random noise averaging a square root function? Not sure how it would apply here, but would guess averaging 4 images would halve the ISO.

John Sheehy wrote in post #19451284 (external link)
You're applying photon noise math to exposure, where it shouldn't apply. What's the difference to photon noise if you expose 4x as long or use 4x as many exposures? The total photons is the same in both cases.

Archibald is correct. Both longer exposures or combining 4x as many exposures (or other signal acquisitions) are perfectly acceptable means to reduce noise, including shot noise.

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
Beware the title fairies!
1,161 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Dec 01, 2022 21:27 |  #3485

Archibald wrote in post #19452072 (external link)
Wild Red Fox.
Hosted photo: posted by Archibald in
./showthread.php?p=194​52072&i=i200118668
forum: Canon Digital Cameras

Taken with focus on the shutter button, whole area AF, and with tracking and eye detect on.

That's a great shot!

How do you find the 800mm on the R7 in terms of framing the subject? I rented one for the lunar eclipse last month and I had a heck of a time just finding the moon in the viewfinder, but I only had the lens for a week. Obviously you nailed that shot. Have you found it easier to aim quickly the more you've used it?

Canon EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), and Sony α6400
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas and Sonys
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

Archibald
You must be quackers!
14,220 posts
Gallery: 685 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited 2 months ago by Archibald.

Dec 01, 2022 22:59 |  #3486

mcoren wrote in post #19452124 (external link)
That's a great shot!

How do you find the 800mm on the R7 in terms of framing the subject? I rented one for the lunar eclipse last month and I had a heck of a time just finding the moon in the viewfinder, but I only had the lens for a week. Obviously you nailed that shot. Have you found it easier to aim quickly the more you've used it?

Thanks! The fox was an unexpected interloper at a bird shoot.

I've mostly been shooting the 100-500mm recently because that is a new lens for me. But the 800mm is usually more useful because the critters are always so far away here, and I need the reach. Well, usually. The fox was 11-12 meters away and all I could do was get head and shoulder shots. (I was in a car.)

It can be a challenge finding the subject with this rig, but I find it just comes with practice. It was easy to spot the fox being so big. I also had blue jays in a tree a bit further away and I didn't always get them in the viewfinder initially. Here is one of them. It can be frustrating at times, like when the bird flies away before you can find it, but it's OK. I would not want to do BIF with the R7/800mm.

Here is one of the blue jays.

IMAGE: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/images/hostedphotos_lq/2022/12/1/LQ_1187603.jpg
Image hosted by forum (1187603) © Archibald [SHARE LINK]
Shot with shutter button focus. I think SBF will work well for birds, but I am going to stick with BBF for bugs.

Canon R5 and R7, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX100, Pentax Spotmatic F
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here
I'm probably listening to Davide of MIMIC (external link)

Ray.Petri
I’m full of useless facts
5,772 posts
Gallery: 2573 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 02, 2022 00:28 |  #3487

Archibald wrote in post #19452072 (external link)
Wild Red Fox.
./showthread.php?p=194​52072&i=i200118668

Archibald wrote in post #19452143 (external link)

./showthread.php?p=194​52143&i=i121068611

Shot with shutter button focus. I think SBF will work well for birds, but I am going to stick with BBF for bugs.

Nice shots with the RF800 Archie - it seems to produce excellent results in the right hands - Even if a little impractical for most purposes. Have you tried the RF1.4 teleconverter on the RF 100-500L yet? Should be interesting!

Ray-P

Lester ­ Wareham
31,458 posts
Gallery: 3034 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 02, 2022 03:20 |  #3488

Archibald wrote in post #19452143 (external link)

I've mostly been shooting the 100-500mm recently because that is a new lens for me. But the 800mm is usually more useful because the critters are always so far away here, and I need the reach. Well, usually. The fox was 11-12 meters away and all I could do was get head and shoulder shots. (I was in a car.)

It can be a challenge finding the subject with this rig, but I find it just comes with practice. It was easy to spot the fox being so big. I also had blue jays in a tree a bit further away and I didn't always get them in the viewfinder initially. Here is one of them. It can be frustrating at times, like when the bird flies away before you can find it, but it's OK. I would not want to do BIF with the R7/800mm.

./showthread.php?p=194​52143&i=i121068611

Great looking shots.

I agree finding subjects with long fixed focal lengths can be problematic.

I don't suppose you have the RF 1.4X?

I would be interested in the real world trade of 100-500+1.4X Vs the 800 STM.

My Photography Home Page (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
flickr (external link) Flickr Home (external link)

Ray.Petri
I’m full of useless facts
5,772 posts
Gallery: 2573 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 02, 2022 04:07 |  #3489

Lester Wareham wrote in post #19452167 (external link)
Great looking shots.

Perhaps someone can answer this one?

Pity about the limitation on the collapsed physical length of the 100-500L when the adapter is used - 300mm + adapter. This makes it a long lens for fitting in the case without taking the adapter off every time it is used. I tended to keep my 1.4x on the 100-400L mkII most of the time and not notice the difference.

But I am just wondering if Sigma or any of the other manufacturers will be making a 1.4x teleconverter that will allow the full range of the lens to be used and maintain Canon's quality - what are your thoughts?

Ray-P

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
4,505 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 02, 2022 08:00 |  #3490

Ray.Petri wrote in post #19452173 (external link)
Perhaps someone can answer this one?

Pity about the limitation on the collapsed physical length of the 100-500L when the adapter is used - 300mm + adapter. This makes it a long lens for fitting in the case without taking the adapter off every time it is used. I tended to keep my 1.4x on the 100-400L mkII most of the time and not notice the difference.

But I am just wondering if Sigma or any of the other manufacturers will be making a 1.4x teleconverter that will allow the full range of the lens to be used and maintain Canon's quality - what are your thoughts?

What about other manufacturers' ML cameras? Are there any non-protruding TCs created for them that work well?

One problem I can think of might be that it is difficult to make a good TC so close to the sensor that isn't protruding, which works well with a wide variety of lenses. Also, it could be a patent violation that Canon litigates against if there are any RF electronics in the TC to communicate with the system or lens, but then again, there are 3rd party RF control ring adapters out there that Canon seems to be doing nothing about.

rndman
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited 2 months ago by rndman.

Dec 02, 2022 09:11 |  #3491

A question on recommended SD cards (for still only). Is the Prograde Gold adequate (to handle the FPS and no hiccup after buffer full) or better to get the Cobalt.
Appreciate your response.
TIA.

smugmug (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
4,505 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 02, 2022 10:10 |  #3492

rndman wrote in post #19452230 (external link)
A question on recommended SD cards (for still only). Is the Prograde Gold adequate (to handle the FPS and no hiccup after buffer full) or better to get the Cobalt.
Appreciate your response.
TIA.

The R7 does not continue shooting after the buffer fills, until about 40% of the buffer is emptied to the card, when it starts shooting at full speed again until the buffer fills again. At least that's the way it works with 30fps e-shutter. I haven't tested it in other shutter modes and burst rates. I hate banging mechanical shutters just for tests!

rndman
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 02, 2022 10:28 |  #3493

John Sheehy wrote in post #19452242 (external link)
The R7 does not continue shooting after the buffer fills, until about 40% of the buffer is emptied to the card, when it starts shooting at full speed again until the buffer fills again. At least that's the way it works with 30fps e-shutter. I haven't tested it in other shutter modes and burst rates. I hate banging mechanical shutters just for tests!

So, do I read this as "Go for fastest possible card"?

smugmug (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
4,505 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 02, 2022 10:36 |  #3494

rndman wrote in post #19452251 (external link)
So, do I read this as "Go for fastest possible card"?

Yes, for emptying the buffer, but that is the write speed and not the read speed which is what you get when only one speed is given in the product description. Write speed can be 1/4 of the read speed if not specified. I've tried 30fps with e-shutter with a card that could only take 10 MB/s, and with one that takes 280 MB/s, and the pattern is the same, it's just that the long pause between long bursts will be shorter (but still long enough that most people would just let go of the shutter button). In both cases it is 30fps shooting only; no period where the framerate drops.

kd_reno
Goldmember
3,353 posts
Gallery: 565 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by kd_reno.

Dec 02, 2022 11:56 |  #3495

Lester Wareham wrote in post #19452167 (external link)
Great looking shots.

These were taken on different days with different lighting, so maybe not a direct comparison. Both uncropped jpgs with some exposure adjustments.

IMAGE: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/images/hostedphotos_lq/2022/12/1/LQ_1187649.jpg
Image hosted by forum (1187649) © kd_reno [SHARE LINK]

IMAGE: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/images/hostedphotos_lq/2022/12/1/LQ_1187650.jpg
Image hosted by forum (1187650) © kd_reno [SHARE LINK]

Ken
More stuff than I know how to use

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

312,647 views & 9,983 likes for this thread, 111 members have posted to it and it is followed by 87 members.
-= Canon EOS R7 owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.