Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 04 Apr 2006 (Tuesday) 16:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Suggestions for beanbag for Africa trip?

judyg
170 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 04, 2006 16:22 |  #1

Hi all,
I'm going on a safari in August and I've been reading that I should bring a bean bag to steady the camera on top of the vehicle or on an open door window.

I'll have the 30D with the 100-400 attached most of the time.

Can anyone recommend a beanbag that would be practical to pack and easy to use?

Thanks.

sponsored links
condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 04, 2006 16:31 |  #2

The Pod... the beans are plastic so no problem via customs and light in weight. Effective and well priced. The red one should do you. I used that with my Bigma and 100-300mm f4 which are bigger than the 100-400 IS L. The Canon is a great safari lens. Have fun. Africa is an amazing place to visit.

http://www.thepod.ca/ (external link)

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 04, 2006 16:46 |  #3

You can also make your own. Get some beans/rice/etc and a large plastic bag. You can even put the plastic bag in a sock or cover it with a towel.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

ScottE
Goldmember
3,179 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Apr 04, 2006 17:03 |  #4

Tee Why has a great idea. Buy a bag or two of rice when you get there. Don't open the bags, but put them in cotton or nylon sack to support your camera. When you are ready to come home your guide or the chamber maid in your room would be happy to take the rice bags off your hands.

lakiluno
slightly jealous
2,895 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 05, 2006 06:13 |  #5

the rice doesn't have a built in tripod mount though...

Leo
20D|Tamron 17-50 2.8|Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro|50 1.8|Sigma EF-500 DG Super|
My Photo Gallery (external link) *New* | My Gear List | Backup Photos Easily with Robocopy

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 05, 2006 08:44 |  #6

While it's a great idea in theory going the home made route if you are searched at customs in many parts of the world you would get a stiff talking to and end up without your beanbag. Organic contents are 'discouraged' across many borders.

cjsa
646 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 05, 2006 09:41 |  #7

My Dad just got me the red pod, its very small and weighs very little, it would be fine to travel with, and not expensive either.

-Carol
http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/carol.albanese (external link)

ScottE
Goldmember
3,179 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Apr 05, 2006 13:45 as a reply to  @ lakiluno's post |  #8

lakiluno wrote:
the rice doesn't have a built in tripod mount though...

Correct, you rest your lens on the rice/bean bag and squeeze the bag with your left hand to control direction and motion. Photographers have been getting great results this way for years.

If I know I am going to be using a private vehicle with windows that open I take a window pod that mounts a ball head on the door. That is superior to a bean bag, but is heavier and more bulky to pack and not as flexible if you are using an open vehicle of shooting from an open roof.

ScottE
Goldmember
3,179 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Apr 05, 2006 13:47 as a reply to  @ condyk's post |  #9

condyk wrote:
While it's a great idea in theory going the home made route if you are searched at customs in many parts of the world you would get a stiff talking to and end up without your beanbag. Organic contents are 'discouraged' across many borders.

Take the bean bag empty and fill it when you get there. Rice, beans or lentils are available just about anywhere in the world. Just be sure you have time to do a little shopping before heading out on safari.

RTMiller
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 05, 2006 14:11 as a reply to  @ ScottE's post |  #10

You don't need beans or rice or have to buy anything when you get there...
Africa has plenty of dirt and sand. Take a couple zip-lock bags with you and fill them when you need them. Simplify Maaannnn!!!

Todd

www.PHOTODDGRAPHY.com (external link)
Equipment List
Everyone is beautiful if you squint.

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 05, 2006 14:14 as a reply to  @ ScottE's post |  #11

ScottE wrote:
Take the bean bag empty and fill it when you get there. Rice, beans or lentils are available just about anywhere in the world. Just be sure you have time to do a little shopping before heading out on safari.

Yeah, to save £10 I'm really going to spend time making a beanbag and then go looking for rice or dry heavy sand when I arrive :lol: :lol: I've got better things to do. But for those that want to then it's a good suggestion.

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 05, 2006 14:15 as a reply to  @ RTMiller's post |  #12

RTMiller wrote:
You don't need beans or rice or have to buy anything when you get there...
Africa has plenty of dirt and sand. Take a couple zip-lock bags with you and fill them when you need them. Simplify Maaannnn!!!

I guess that would be "dirt cheap."
:D

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

Louis ­ solomon
70 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 05, 2006 14:48 |  #13

The Pod referred to by some posters seems insufficient for a 100-400 zoom. Take a look at this link: http://www.kinesisgear​.com/r.html (external link)

Louis ­ solomon
70 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 05, 2006 14:51 |  #14

Here's another link to a pro bean bag:
http://www.hoothollow.​com …ober-November%202004.html (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 05, 2006 15:24 |  #15

I, too, would take an empty bag and fill it with sand while on site. That way you aren't taking up either the weight or the space of a pre-filled beanbag in your luggage. Besides, sand makes for a MUCH more stable platform than lightweight plastic beads, organic beans, or whatever.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links

15,722 views & 0 likes for this thread
Suggestions for beanbag for Africa trip?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.