Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Apr 2006 (Monday) 10:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #61 -- Metal -- Winners

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 10, 2006 10:41 |  #1

Challenge #61 -- Metal -- Winners

Thanks all for your wonderful entries. I enjoy seeing everybody’s great interpretations and techniques of “Metal”. Your creativity and imagination made it hard for me to pick the top lists. I wish I could pick more than three winners!

A few entries failed to conform to the submission rules which I thought I should mention particularly #3, 5 & 7.

Submissions

Terrywoodenpic - Gold leaf reflections
You have captured the shot superbly. Nicely control of lighting and great reflections. A great deal of planning goes into this shot.

Gnasher - Chromed
A nice and shinny chromed bike indeed. Great pick for the subject. It’s one of my favourites.

blacksmurf - Shadow of the sun
I think this is a clever photo makes use of light and shadow; I like its simplicity and creativity. Well done.

dewmuw - Flying metal – concorde
A great viewpoint of the ‘big bird’ which would has carried million of passengers. You have managed well with the reflection; couldn’t spot the photographer here! Good captured.

BobbyT – stainless
I have tried very hard to fixture out this is. It looks like the chain from a nail clipper? This would be great for the Macro Guessing contest which I was participating in a while ago.

Bosman - Apple Gold
I like the clever use of the screen light as the reflection of the ipod with a burse of front flash light. There must be a lot of songs stored in the device!?!

andrewaaa5 - metal on metal
Now, this is beyond me. The creativity of your ‘metal’ just makes me giggling. Nice sketch by the way.

windshadow - Hard Memory
I am fascinated by the great colours this shot. The blurred background seems to enhance the depth to the hard drive. Congrats

alans220 - The Cross
You have done well the control the lighting of this shot. I like its simplicity and nice job on blurring the background too.

am_pitbull_terrier - Lady Liberty (file size)
A superb macro shot of a coin. Great lighting technique I would say. May I guess a reversed lens you used for this macro shot?

teekay - The Fearsome Face of a Flying Fortress
Indeed an awesome shot and fearsome face of a fighter. You have done well to isolate the great texture and details of the plane too.

rpolitsr - Iron Evolution
One of the best ways of controlling the lighting when shooting a metal subject with well balanced composition I think. I would l love to know what the meaning behind this ironic sculpture.

marie - the gate to paradise is locked (file size)
There are two metal elements in this shot here - the gate and the bin! I like the title for this; did you turn up too early or too late?

ezza - Rotary Revolution
G’day to my fella aussie - ezza! An interesting shot of a F1’s rotary from the Grand Prix? Because of the backlit background, I think it would benefit from a tad of fill-in flash.

3Dart - bench scraps
I fond of black and white post-process image as well. I like the texture and tonal range control of this shot.

The winners are:

1st
windshadow
As I was drawn to the colour, composition and degree of difficulty

2nd
blacksmurf
As I like the simplicity and creativity

3rd
dewmuw
As it has great perspective and viewpoint

Great work everybody!

sponsored links
BobbyT
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 10, 2006 16:09 |  #2

Congratulations windshadow, blacksmurth, and dewmuw. Great photos from everyone.

Boutty your close on my pic. It's the ballchain from the drain plug taken in a stainless sink.

Gear List

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,994 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 10, 2006 17:07 |  #3

Congrats to all the winners!!!! I am out of commission for a while...my Pro1 is
broken :(:(. First my lens wouldn't retract, then it wouldn't focus on anything in any mode. It now is making a weird noise :(
It will get sent off to Canon in June after we get back from our trip to the Mediterranean as I don't want it to come home while I am out of the country.
I will hopefully re-join the photo challenges in July but I will continue to enjoy you all every week.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

teekay
Goldmember
2,967 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Apr 10, 2006 17:37 as a reply to  @ Maureen Souza's post |  #4

Congratulations to the winners! I'm still trying to figure what I could have done with that Flying Fortress image, but knew that it really didn't have a hope the way it was.

Incidentally, why are the results now being posted in a seperate thread rather than being posted at the head of the challenge so that everyone can scroll down and see the images? It's simple for the judge to edit the original challenge message just to add the winners at the top.

am_pitbull_terrier
Goldmember
1,383 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 10, 2006 19:49 |  #5

Congrats to the winners :) Thanks Boutty for the compliments on my photo. I used an extension tube and a macro lens/filter. That is a silver dollar my grandfather gave me in 1980 (I was 10, now 36) he passed in 1983. Its actually worth some money now, not that I would ever get rid of it.
Was there something wrong with the file size? I saw you posted that next to the photo name in your comments. I posted it 640x480

Powershot G3
LA-DC58B Lens Adaptor
Spot Filter 58mm
Diffusion Filter 58mm
SkyLight Filter 58 mm
SuperWide Lens

Rebel XT (black), 18-55mm, 24-70mm 2.8, 70-300mm /Lens Hood, 50mm 1.8
Opteka Grip
Radio Slave Trigger
Stroboframe Flash Bracket
580EX Flash & Canon Off Shoe Cord 2
Lumiquest On-Camera Softbox
And of course a POTN camera strap :)

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Apr 10, 2006 19:57 as a reply to  @ teekay's post |  #6

Congratulations to all
especially the top three
#1 Windshadow

#2 Blacksmurf

#3 Dewmew

thank you very much Boutty for the usual difficult task of having to choose
and for all the comments
not sure what you mean by file size beside the heading to my shot ?
the measurements were correct
640x 480

as you guessed the 'paradise' mentioned just referred to the scene behind the gate
and the gorgeous blue blooms overhanging the wall were a tease
(along with the lock on that lovely gate)
:lol:

I had got the other bin in for the reasons you mention
the shot was taken in Carlingford, County Louth beside the Mourne Mountains. a most beautiful spot

Congratulations to all
very nice shots from everyone

~

Pit Bull
is 'trvst' usually on the coins and not 'trust'
I never noticed that before

photos here :

http://www.photography​-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=155469

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

am_pitbull_terrier
Goldmember
1,383 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 10, 2006 20:24 as a reply to  @ marie's post |  #7

marie wrote:

Pit Bull
is 'trvst' usually on the coins and not 'trust'
I never noticed that before

photos here :

http://www.photography​-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=155469

Hi Marie, I don't think they used that on any other coins except that one. (I could very well be wrong though) This is a quote from a website about the Liberty Silver Dollar Coin also known as the Peace Silver dollar. It was created to commerate the end of the first world war.

QUOTE:
Designed by Anthony De Francisci, the Peace Dollar depicts a profile of Miss Liberty with a crown of rays on the obverse, while the reverse of the coin has the image of a majestic American Eagle perched on a rock and clutching the laurel wreath of Peace in its talons. The design of the coin reflects the Art Deco movement of the time. For example, as is common in many Art Deco creations, the inscription on the coin uses some Latin alphabet. Accordingly the word "Trust" in the coin's legend is spelled as the Latin word TRVST.

Powershot G3
LA-DC58B Lens Adaptor
Spot Filter 58mm
Diffusion Filter 58mm
SkyLight Filter 58 mm
SuperWide Lens

Rebel XT (black), 18-55mm, 24-70mm 2.8, 70-300mm /Lens Hood, 50mm 1.8
Opteka Grip
Radio Slave Trigger
Stroboframe Flash Bracket
580EX Flash & Canon Off Shoe Cord 2
Lumiquest On-Camera Softbox
And of course a POTN camera strap :)

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Apr 10, 2006 20:35 as a reply to  @ am_pitbull_terrier's post |  #8

am_pitbull_terrier wrote:
Hi Marie, I don't think they used that on any other coins except that one. (I could very well be wrong though) This is a quote from a website about the Liberty Silver Dollar Coin also known as the Peace Silver dollar. It was created to commerate the end of the first world war.

QUOTE:
Designed by Anthony De Francisci, the Peace Dollar depicts a profile of Miss Liberty with a crown of rays on the obverse, while the reverse of the coin has the image of a majestic American Eagle perched on a rock and clutching the laurel wreath of Peace in its talons. The design of the coin reflects the Art Deco movement of the time. For example, as is common in many Art Deco creations, the inscription on the coin uses some Latin alphabet. Accordingly the word "Trust" in the coin's legend is spelled as the Latin word TRVST.

thanks for that Pit Bull

I partly guessed it was hinting at Latin but the rest being in English it seemed a bit 'off '
and the word ' trust' in latin usually is 'fidés ' I think
but the words in your above quote
: "Accordingly the word "Trust" in the coin's legend is spelled as the Latin word TRVST"......... probably gives it a different meaning
a suitable meaning :confused:
.........for what they mean

:rolleyes::lol::rolleyes:

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

rpolitsr
5,939 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 11, 2006 00:14 |  #9

Congratulations to the winners windshadow, blacksmurf and dewmuw for those lovely photos.

I liked the lighting in the three winners’ images, the colors in the first, the beautiful contrast between the metal and its shadow in the second and the astonishing volume of the fast airliner created with shadows and reflections. I wonder how the Concorde perspective will change with its nose lowered. I love airplanes!

I also liked the picture of Terrywoodenpic with the changing reflections in the leaves around the frame.

In the gate to paradise the door and the stones are nice, but the blue flowers really draw the attention. Another beautiful picture!

Nice job, Boutty! And thanks for all the comments.

Boutty wrote:
rpolitsr - Iron Evolution
One of the best ways of controlling the lighting when shooting a metal subject with well balanced composition I think. I would l love to know what the meaning behind this ironic sculpture.

This time the rusty metal and the cloudy day did the balance for free.
Sorry, I do not dare to explain the sculpture yet, but I will ask about it. ( I just shot picture :p ).

As teekay, I also prefer the results and further comments in the same thread as the pictures.

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Terrywoodenpic
869 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 11, 2006 05:26 |  #10

Well done every one metal is always a challenge, with direct light highlights allways burn out so with the restricted tonal range with Digital it is even more difficult.
I particularly liked the quality in blacksmurfs sun shot, to get such a good shadow and not pick up a strong highlight was very well done.

I remember during an interview and test for a job in a studio in Spain in the late 50's.
The test was a brand new communion cup needed for a catalogue.
They had nothing to make a tent from so I lit the whole room. I got the job so they must have liked the result.

My mirror picture was a cheat. It is two shots. One the rim of a communion plate taken for the church inventory, the other a self portrait of me doing Gold leaf.
The glass bevel effect was created in Photoshop by simply using the dodge tool.
the whole job took less than 30 minutes.

Terry.

Terry_______________
Over 60 years in photography
wasted money cameras never on film.

Boutty
THREAD ­ STARTER
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 11, 2006 05:44 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #11

BobbyT wrote:
Boutty your close on my pic. It's the ballchain from the drain plug taken in a stainless sink.

Well done Bobby! I would have never guess it is part of a sink.

Maureen, I wish you have a lovely holiday! hope your Pro1 comes back fit and healthy! ;)

Thanks Terry for your comments. Excellent PS work I might add! I thought it's a real reflection! :cool: Man!

am_pitbull_terrier & marie and some other contestants, the "(file size)" were the information for myself to denote photos were excessing 100Kb. There were some discussions about the equal level of 'displaying' fields of our photos' physical filesizes a while back. I noticed that it only happens, especially when one is linking his or her photo for submission, but I think it is unintentionally. One who prefers attach file cannot excess 100Kb. Personally I don't think it's a big deal, and I am sorry to have forgotten to remove them.:oops:

teekay & rpolitsr, I also favour the results to be annouced and comments to be made further comments in the same thread as the pictures.
But I saw this in the last section of POTN G-series Speed Challenge Information 1st thread:-

Hosting

1. The Challenge Host is the winner of the last challenge.

2. Choose a topic and list any special rules -- but DO NOT POST a photo.

3. Post the topic in a thread with this title: “POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #XX -- [TOPIC]”

4. At the end of competition, choose a Winner and two Runners-up and explain why the photos were selected. Comments on other photos are nice but not required.
5. Post these in a thread titled “POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #XX -- [TOPIC] -- Winners.”
6. Winner starts with Rule #1 above.
7. If the winner can't be contacted and doesn't respond by Wednesday noon GMT, the second-place winner will host the challenge.

Let's go and chase some bugs! :p

Terrywoodenpic
869 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 11, 2006 05:45 as a reply to  @ am_pitbull_terrier's post |  #12

am_pitbull_terrier wrote:
The design of the coin reflects the Art Deco movement of the time. For example, as is common in many Art Deco creations, the inscription on the coin uses some Latin alphabet. Accordingly the word "Trust" in the coin's legend is spelled as the Latin word TRVST.

The romans did not use the "U" they only had the "V" the "u" is the vowel form of "v" It was not till the 18th century that the "U" became normal usage.

In the same way "I and J" were interchangeable as two forms of the same letter . The "J" form was later used to distinguish the consonant.

In a similar way the "Y" was not used in Spain, it is now called a "greek I" to show its sound and origin.

Terry

Terry_______________
Over 60 years in photography
wasted money cameras never on film.

ezza
37 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 11, 2006 07:14 |  #13

thanks for the comment boutty, i think i went a tad overboard on soft light on PS, should have bought out the detail more on the rotary rather then darking in. the engine was taken apart at TAFE, was from an old Rx7. congrats to everyone

teekay
Goldmember
2,967 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Apr 11, 2006 10:34 as a reply to  @ Boutty's post |  #14

Boutty wrote:
teekay & rpolitsr, I also favour the results to be annouced and comments to be made further comments in the same thread as the pictures.
But I saw this in the last section of POTN G-series Speed Challenge Information 1st thread:-

5. Post these in a thread titled “POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #XX -- [TOPIC] -- Winners.”

So who put that rule in, and why? I recall we agreed to change a long time ago to putting the winners at the top of the thread.

rpolitsr
5,939 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 11, 2006 12:18 |  #15

about Announcing the Winners

Some findings about Announcing the Winners:

You are right, Boutty, rule # 5 can mislead the host. It seems that it never was changed.

In the Discussion of Rules thread the changes were implemented though.
As this is a very long thread you may want to start checking page # 5 or, better yet, two specific posts:

Don Ellis post # 69 and
MegaTrixel post # 73

BottomBracket was the first judge implementing the new style in challenge # 29 – TOYS of August 23rd, 2005 ( my birthday’s date :) )
Here the Notification post

As the rule was always there, but we were using the ‘new style’ for a while, we can continue using it if you agree and windshadow returns to it :) .

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links

5,176 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #61 -- Metal -- Winners
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.