Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Apr 2006 (Tuesday) 16:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Monitor Calibration

col4bin
Goldmember
2,264 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 11, 2006 16:15 |  #1

how do I go about calibrating my monitor so that the photos I print out look like they do on the screen? Do I need special equipment to calibrate?

I have been asking a lot of questions latell. I hope I am not bothering anyone but we have to learn somehow, right?

Frank
http://www.fiorentinop​hotography.com (external link)
My Gear

sponsored links
MJP
783 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 11, 2006 18:22 |  #2

i've use spyder pro2 and print fix....

:grin:MarkIIN,5D w/ grip,PS SD10
70-200mm f/2.8IS Canon 1.4X II|sigma 12-24mm
| EF85mm f/1.8|Ef 24-105mmL | 100mm macro| RS-80N3 | MinoltaAutometer|I9900|CS2|LR|CS3| Angle Finder
Manf 190MF4 tripod, 680 mono, 322RC2 Joystick Head |
580EXII,580EX,430EX,ST​-E2,CP-E3
www.pbase.com/marlonjp (external link)

Carzee
Cream of the Crop
6,528 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 11, 2006 18:25 |  #3

I am in a que waiting for the gadget our camera club has available for loan.

Its a popular item!

Having a bad day? Feeling down? Bantar Gebang Attitude Enhancement Images (external link)

claudermilk
390 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 11, 2006 19:16 |  #4

Yep, you want to use a monitor calibrator. The Spyder2, EyeOne and Monaco are the ones I see brought up most commonly.

20D/BG-E2/Katz Eye | Tokina 12-24/4 | 24-70/2.8L | 50/1.8 Mk I | 70-200/2.8L | PD70X

kimel
49 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 11, 2006 21:49 |  #5

So for Spyder 2 users: Does one want the Express, Suite, Plus or Pro versions just for monitor calibration? From what I can tell the difference is how much other software is bundled with the system.

PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 12, 2006 09:43 |  #6

Some people use hardware/software to calibrate. I use Adobe Gamma which comes with PS & still get just what I'm seeing on the monitor in a profiled print, so you'll have to decide for yourself which way you need to go. Here's some help:

Monitor calibration and gamma Quick test:
http://epaperpress.com​/monitorcal/index.html (external link)

Better info:
http://www.normankoren​.com/makingfineprints1​A.html (external link)
http://www.normankoren​.com/makingfineprints1​B.html (external link)
Dry Creek "Introduction to Digital Photo Lab Profiles"
http://www.drycreekpho​to.com/Frontier/index.​html (external link)

WEB BROWSER CHECK - Test Page - ALL FILES have embedded ICC profiles Photoshop Color Management
http://www.gballard.ne​t …embeddedJPEGpro​files.html (external link)

Test images
http://www.normankoren​.com/printer_calibrati​on.html (external link)

Don't forget to color manage your browser, too. Or get the latest version of Firefox which has color management set as default.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

kimel
49 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 13, 2006 09:03 |  #7

Thanks for the links. It took me a bit to realize my Dell 17" UltraSharp is one of those monitors mentioned that have the contrast and brightness controls reversed.

All better now!

Mathiau
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 14, 2006 16:24 as a reply to  @ kimel's post |  #8

LCD will never reproduce like CRT's currently do, LCD's can not do black blacks mainly.

it can be hard to calibrate an LCD - you may get close, but still to this day LCD"s are not #1 choice for photography (for those serious enough about it) due to the lacking ability to reproduce color's like CRT's still do.

Currently Dreaming about what gear to own in the near future
The trouble with life is theres no background music
WARNING - post on images for critique and other items asking for feedback are simply my personal input and thoughts based on my own experiences and preferences.

KennyG
Goldmember
2,252 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Apr 14, 2006 17:19 |  #9

LCD technology has changed dramatically in the last year. The main problem was always down to the backlight which has been addressed in designs like 'Brightscreen'. Even pro labs are moving to LCD . There will be little choice anyway as most CRT plants are closing production.

Ken
Professional Motorsport Photographer
2 x 1D MK-II, 7D, 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L,
300 2.8L IS, 500 4.0L IS, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 1.4 & 2.0 MK-II TC.

Mathiau
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 14, 2006 21:31 |  #10

^^ that they are - i am glad to see LCD"s move from what they used to be, but it is still hard to find consumer level LCD's with such high detail and quality as LCD's and until then, plants will still pop out their professional CRT's that cost a small fortune.

LCD just looks sexier - easier on the eyes, less power, better to recyle - most everything they have is beneficial in some way.

WARNING - post on images for critique and other items asking for feedback are simply my personal input and thoughts based on my own experiences and preferences.

MJP
783 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 14, 2006 22:07 |  #11

headace and eyes fatigue the reason why i change to LCD....

:grin:MarkIIN,5D w/ grip,PS SD10
70-200mm f/2.8IS Canon 1.4X II|sigma 12-24mm
| EF85mm f/1.8|Ef 24-105mmL | 100mm macro| RS-80N3 | MinoltaAutometer|I9900|CS2|LR|CS3| Angle Finder
Manf 190MF4 tripod, 680 mono, 322RC2 Joystick Head |
580EXII,580EX,430EX,ST​-E2,CP-E3
www.pbase.com/marlonjp (external link)

kimel
49 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 14, 2006 22:12 |  #12

Not to mention that LCDs burn a fraction of the electricity and put out a tiny fraction of the heat of a CRT. Maybe not that important for the home user I guess but at the enterprise level it sure it.

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 14, 2006 22:15 as a reply to  @ MJP's post |  #13

I have an older version of this LCD and love how it works. This is the cat's meow for graphic arts. BENQ makes monitors that other companies put their brand on.

http://www.superwareho​use.com …tor/99.L2E72.XB​A/p/727795 (external link)

I'm just about to buy a monitor and printer calibrator, but I'll give Adobe Gamma a try. I've heard good and bad things about it. Mostly the accuracy of the persons eye doing the calibrating.

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

Mathiau
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 15, 2006 03:10 as a reply to  @ kimel's post |  #14

kimel wrote:
Not to mention that LCDs burn a fraction of the electricity and put out a tiny fraction of the heat of a CRT. Maybe not that important for the home user I guess but at the enterprise level it sure it.

at one point in my bedroom i had dual 19" dell sony trinitrons and a 17" - standing in my door way you could feel the about 5C temp change alone walking into my room!

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 15, 2006 11:56 as a reply to  @ Mathiau's post |  #15

Who wants an electron gun pointed at their head for hours every day? CRTs are on their way out.

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

sponsored links

12,145 views & 0 likes for this thread
Monitor Calibration
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.