Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 Apr 2006 (Thursday) 10:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to ensure WB on RAW Post-processing is spot on?

csondagar
792 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Apr 13, 2006 10:08 |  #1

I would like to hear from all the RAW shooters on the technics you use to ensure your white balance is perfectly spot on during post processing. I tend to rely alot on my visual sense and am feeling that I donot always get it right or get consistent results. You can see some of photos here (external link).

How do you folks ensure that the white balance is right?

My Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | 7D, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM | Speedlite 430EX | Reflector Disk 5-in-1 110cm

sponsored links
Mike ­ Panic
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 13, 2006 13:42 |  #2

plz take no offense to this

wb in your raw workflow should only be an issue when you are in a situation where the light is changing... say a wedding reception w/ disco lights, and even then you will prob be using a flash so a flash wb setting should be fine.

take the time to do a custom white balance at every chance you can get... its worth it to spend the 30-60 seconds before you shoot then add time in a raw workflow.

we are photographers, lets not forget how to photograph things.

MikePanic.com (external link) photography | web design | social media | content creation
CripsyHundos.com (external link) instagram photos for your viewing pleasure

TeeJay
Goldmember
3,834 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 13, 2006 14:47 |  #3

Surely the simple way is to include something (anything) that you know is white in the picture. Then click on that with the white dropper during pp to set your correct level.

1DsMkIII | 1DMkIIN | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L IS | 17-40 f/4L | 50 f/1.2L | WFT-E1 & E2 Transmitters - Click Here for setup advice | CP-E4 Battery Pack x 2 | ST-E2 | 580EX | 550EX | 430EXII | 420EX | Tripod + monopod | Bowens Esprit Gemini 500W/s heads & Travel-Pak | All this gear - and still no idea :confused:

StealthLude
Goldmember
3,680 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 13, 2006 19:43 |  #4

I always try and custom white balance...

Typically i never worry about it if im shooting outside or shooting with flash or strobes since i already know the color temp.. AB units are like 5600k. Not to mention, i always shoot RAW, so it dont bother me much. U should use custom WB tho, if the camera can do it, u should practice it.

[[Gear List]]

subtle_spectre
Goldmember
1,657 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 13, 2006 20:55 |  #5

If someone shoots RAW, isn't setting the WB kind of useless? Now, shooting jpgs I know is an entirely different story! Funny, I was at a deal the other day, shooting jpgs and using CWB...there was only one white thing in the entire venue...my daughter's dress/skirt. Lesson: buy white card.

Scott
Vista owner...and user  :p _______________

Gear
www.scottcphotography.​com (external link)

tbfoto
655 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 13, 2006 21:18 as a reply to  @ subtle_spectre's post |  #6

Better yet...buy a gray card

csondagar
THREAD ­ STARTER
792 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Apr 13, 2006 22:04 as a reply to  @ tbfoto's post |  #7

Interesting. My question arose mainly because I have quite often run into situation where in the photo a white are (eg, someones white dress) does not look white. In this cases I would select the white picker and click on the white dress. In many cases when I do this I tend to mess up other colors. Or atleast that is what I think is happening.

I will have to check out your suggestions of creating a custom white balance. In this case, would I be taking a photo of, for example white sheet. Then setting that photo as my custom white balance. Is this how it is done?

My Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | 7D, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM | Speedlite 430EX | Reflector Disk 5-in-1 110cm

Ray ­ Marrero
Goldmember
1,766 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 13, 2006 22:16 |  #8

I went with WhiBal. They even have a tutorial on their web site. I shoot Raw and Jpeg and the WhiBal really saves me time. I don't do a custom balance I just shoot and then shooot the WhiBal card in the same light, then go on to the next setting. It's faster than doing a custom balance.

Ray
Canon 6D, 7D, 30D, Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 x2, Flashpoint eVOLV 200 and XPlor 600, AB800 x3, Canon 10-22mm, 18-55mm, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 24-70mm 2.8L, 24-105mm 4.0L, 70-200mm 2.8L IS, Sigma 28-105mm 2.8, Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, CyberSyncs.

Mike ­ Panic
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 14, 2006 12:56 as a reply to  @ TeeJay's post |  #9

TeeJay wrote:
Surely the simple way is to include something (anything) that you know is white in the picture. Then click on that with the white dropper during pp to set your correct level.

you loose so much data when you do that its not even funny - look at the photoshop histogram after you do that.

MikePanic.com (external link) photography | web design | social media | content creation

Mike ­ Panic
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 14, 2006 12:57 as a reply to  @ subtle_spectre's post |  #10

subtle_spectre wrote:
If someone shoots RAW, isn't setting the WB kind of useless?

no... its one more thing you have to do in a RAW workflow... 85% or more of the shots that people take could have been done in JPG if they hit their exposure properly and did a custom WB.

RAW is making photography a very sloppy profession

dmp-potn
489 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 14, 2006 14:13 as a reply to  @ Ray Marrero's post |  #11

Hello,

Ray Marrero wrote:
I went with WhiBal. They even have a tutorial on their web site. I shoot Raw and Jpeg and the WhiBal really saves me time. I don't do a custom balance I just shoot and then shooot the WhiBal card in the same light, then go on to the next setting. It's faster than doing a custom balance.

I agree and have gone this route as well. I'm not aware of a RAW processing program that will make use of the custom white balance setting, so it seems silly to use that when you're shooting RAW. Just get a whi-bal shot before, during, or after the shots that you take in each setting, and white balancing in the RAW processor is very fast (we are using Capture One today, but they all seem to work the same way).

Now I will admit to tweaking the white balance on a few shots after neutralizing them from the grey card. Sometimes I want a warmer tone, but that's an artistic decision that I can make once I'm starting from a consistant point.

It's also a good idea to color calibrate your monitor using something like the Gretag Macbeth Eye One Display 2, or Monaco Optix for the same reason, to improve consistancy from one shoot to the next and one image to the next, etc.

Hope this helps!

-- David

KennyG
Goldmember
2,252 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Apr 14, 2006 16:46 as a reply to  @ Mike Panic's post |  #12

Mike Panic wrote:

You are wrong there Mike. You are making an assumption that people shoot using RAW to correct their mistakes in post-processing. The fact is most people use RAW because the in-camera processing to produce JPGs is nowhere near as good as the better of the RAW processing/conversion tools.

I prefer to process from RAW to TIF which will re-size far better than any JPG. My choice of RAW is based on producing the best possible image quality for high-gloss magazines and they prefer a 20-30mb TIF anyway. I produce JPG from the TIF for web use. I in no way regard myself as a sloppy professional.

If you want to record the accurate WB for shooting the scene in RAW, use a grey card or an Expodisk (my preferred method) and use that shot to apply WB in your conversion, by shot or by batch.

Ken
Professional Motorsport Photographer
2 x 1D MK-II, 7D, 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L,
300 2.8L IS, 500 4.0L IS, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 1.4 & 2.0 MK-II TC.

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,488 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 15, 2006 15:11 |  #13

Without a doubt Ken is not a sloppy professional... but just like another thread on the site, 9 out of 10 photographers did no formal white balancing to get their shoot correct. Rather they deferred to doing all the correction post shoot because they were shooting raw. Like Ken says, a simple shot of a grey card is going to give you a reference shot to make sure you are reproducing the image correctly. If you can reproduce that card on screen and in print... you know you are dialed in.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

DesignVHL
126 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 19, 2006 09:37 |  #14

Just curious...I've been trying to figure out how to work w/ raw - just started shooting raw and i won't go back. I don't even bother wasting space w/ the raw + jpeg...my question is this: I shoot concerts. Say I bring a white (or grey) card w/ me and put it up on stage and shoot it a few times (Wouldn't the lighting change the cards white balance use -adding color)? Is it best to shoot when the stage is lit up w/out concert lighting on yet? How do i sample from that image to the other images? Do I need to drag a layer of that white(or grey card image) in to use for balance w/ the eye-dropper tool in one of the many image adjustment options in photoshop? Would I do this w/ photoshop Curves? Levels? Whats the best method? Just wondering...trying to get better at pp. :) Thanks for the advice!

---------------
valerie
---------------
Canon EOS 350D / Digital Rebel XT
EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM (kit)
---------------
GRAPHIC DESIGN & PHOTOGRAPHY
http://www.expandyoure​lement.com (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,867 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 21, 2006 06:50 |  #15

You are wrong there Mike. You are making an assumption that people shoot using RAW to correct their mistakes in post-processing. The fact is most people use RAW because the in-camera processing to produce JPGs is nowhere near as good as the better of the RAW processing/conversion tools.

I recently learned that there's a quick way to see that.
Put your cam on a tripod & take 2 identical shots, one in RAW & one your best quality jpeg. Convert the RAW file to the best quality jpeg . Now look at the final file sizes of each. Interesting, isn't it?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

3,529 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to ensure WB on RAW Post-processing is spot on?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.