Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 May 2006 (Sunday) 11:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When the shoe fits ...

Lenty007
221 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

May 07, 2006 11:55 |  #1

Being a Canon fan I like to check upon this forum from time to time.
It strikes me that people just can’t make up their minds.
There’s simply too much choice.
I started photography since 1975 – well lets say just after “Camera Obscura” :) . First a Canon FTb and later a Canon A1. On july last year I switched to digital, knowing exactly what I wanted. Here it is :
1) Body Canon 350d
2) A battery grip
3) Sigma 18-200mm
4) Canon 300mm f/4 L USM IS
5) Canon Extender 1,4 II
6) Sandisc 2 Gb CF-card (RAW+JPG capturing)
It was eating away 3000 euro (I’m from Belgium) or about 2000 pounds but I can asure you that the results are VERY satisfying, even for a demanding person like myself.
Of course it’s too bad that Canon doesn’t make a 18-200mm like Nikon, Sigma and Tamron does.
Being an all-round (amateur) photographer the Sigma stays on most of the time. On shooting events I have no need to change. The Sigma is very versatile and easy to carry around. Of course according to light conditions you need to crank up the contrast, but as long as Canon doesn’t come up with his version, it’s the second best thing.
When it comes to the other “breathing” things (you know, animals and planes) I immediatly use the combo 300mm+Extender. If anyone preferes the Canon 100-400mm (for the same price) in stead of this combo I will not argue.
Bottom line, you get more then your money’s worth offering a wide range but bear in mind that both lenses need a good technique to shoot crystal sharp. Setting up the correct ISO is a delicate item. For me it is mostly set on 400 but never above. I do keep a very close eye on the given shutterspeed to match the technique. Even with IS on the 300mm you can’t afford being sloppy.
So, I hope my input can help out any struggling member.
I have no pictures to share or a website to visit. You just have to take my word for it.
-----
Alain

cbock
918 posts
Joined Jan 2005

May 07, 2006 12:06 |  #2

i never would have guessed that macro photography would be something i would be interested in. then, i got my sigma 70-300 apo macro. now, it's fun! that's just one example. it's not about making up my mind. it's about discovering new things. choice is good. keep in mind, we haven't all been shooting for the last 30 years.

Body: 1DIIn
Canon Glass: 16 - 35 II F2.8L | 24 - 70 F2.8L | 50 II F1.8 | 70 - 200 F2.8L IS | 300 F4L IS
Sigma Glass: 24-60 F2.8 EX DG | 70-200 F2.8 EX DG HSM APO | 30 F1.4 EX DC HSM
Other Stuff: Canon 580 EX II | Vivitar 285HV | Manfrotto 679B & 488RC0 | StarFlash 650 & 300

Southswede
950 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 07, 2006 12:22 |  #3

The Sigma 18-200 was on my 20D 99% of the time and now it is on my 30D, most of the time too.

It is a very good lens, in spite of what people say!

jjonsalt
Goldmember
1,502 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 07, 2006 12:24 as a reply to  @ Southswede's post |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Southswede wrote:
The Sigma 18-200 was on my 20D 99% of the time and now it is on my 30D, most of the time too.

It is a very good lens, in spite of what people say!

What is it, exactly, that "people" say?

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 07, 2006 12:37 |  #5

Truth is many make a big fuss about what to buy and within fairly wide limits it doesn't actually matter too much. We all know some of the best shooters here, at least those taking meaningful and interesting pictures, use very modestly priced equipment.

I can only suggest that the very simplest approach for new people is to check out www.fredmiranda.com (external link) reviews section and within the aperture and focal length they want and the price they want to pay then buy any lens they fancy that scores a solid 8/10 or better. It's that simple. The rest is up to the shooter.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,191 views & 0 likes for this thread
When the shoe fits ...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.