Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 08 May 2006 (Monday) 18:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where's Nifty?! #2

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,913 posts
Gallery: 935 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 24, 2016 09:09 |  #10621

AnnieMacD wrote in post #18104548 (external link)
ENifty here!

Mam says I'm not allowed to take one more photo until I get some of the processing backlog cleared.

On Sunday we were up at the crack of dawn again and off to the Isle of Skye. I'm getting to know that road (and the Pass) quite well as I've been on it so many times! This time, it was a shorter drive as we were to climb a small(ish) hill from the east side so only 60 miles. As we left early there was very little traffic and we were all booted up and ready to go by 9:30 am.

Well, I couldn't see a thing as the mist was down and I might as well have been blind - not much fun for a lens. However, Mam knew where she was going so headed up a path and after a while took off to the right and into the unknown. It was pretty boggy after all the rain but as we started climbing the going got better and some of the surrounding hills started to show up out of the cloud.

Taken from our ascent, this is the path up to Mam's favourite Munro (Bla Bheinn) and she may take me up there if/when I come back for another visit.
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Kxdv​4m  (external link) Sgurr nan Each with Nifty (external link) by Annie MacDonald (external link), on Flickr

But our hill was still shrouded in mist and I knew things were getting serious when the walking poles got packed into the backpack. Mam had to scramble all the way to the minor top. It was great fun and, although there were bits of path, she avoided them and stayed on the rocks. It was all Grade 1 or ungraded so not too much exposure. As we approached the minor top we saw a sheep with a small lamb (1-2 weeks old) - wow, at this time of year! No photos with Nifty as it was too far away.

The cloud was lifting above us and by the time we reached the summit (720m) it was clear with just some banks of cloud above and sometimes, below us. Magic! This hill is not frequented very often for two reasons: first it isn't categorized in its own right as it's so close to some of the other big hills, and second, it has a 10-15m (20-30ft) slab that's not negotiable by non-climbers. So, Mam had decided to just return the way we had come, until meeting a family on the top. Here they are posing for Nifty.
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Kxp7​YM  (external link) Sgurr nan Each with Nifty-2 (external link) by Annie MacDonald (external link), on Flickr

As you can see the couple had a young boy and Mam asked them if they were continuing along the ridge. They were and they said The Slab was nothing to worry about. In fact, the woman said, the first time she was up here she had done the slab without even noticing it. What!!??!! Well, after hearing that there was no way Mam wasn't going that way too.

The family heading off toward The Slab. The hill we climbed earlier in the week is approx. centre of the ridge in the distance.
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Lrd6​co  (external link) Sgurr nan Each with Nifty-3 (external link) by Annie MacDonald (external link), on Flickr

Mam and I fought off the midges and had lunch at the very lovely summit with all the majestic hills around us.
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/L3Lu​db  (external link) Sgurr nan Each with Nifty-4 (external link) by Annie MacDonald (external link), on Flickr

Looking back, this is the last part of the ascent from the minor top. You can see the sheep at the bottom of the photo and the road is a long way down!
https://flic.kr/p/KxoX​RD (external link)Sgurr nan Each with Nifty-5 (external link) by Annie MacDonald (external link), on Flickr

This is the hill next door (Belig) and you can see our house on the mainland 20 miles away. Top right in the light blue area just below the cloud.
https://flic.kr/p/LrcZ​HY (external link)Sgurr nan Each with Nifty-6 (external link) by Annie MacDonald (external link), on Flickr

I could have stayed up there all day (if the breeze had held - midges hate a breeze) but Mam said we had to get going and I could feel she was a wee bit tense thinking of The Slab. The going definitely got tougher and after a bit of up and down - there it was below us. It looked like you were standing on the top of the roof of your house and you had to somehow get down to the bottom without seeing the ground. (There's an overhang at the bottom.) It looked horrendously steep and dangerous but somehow, it never entered her head to turn back.

Most of the Skye Cuillin are comprised of gabbro (external link) rock. It's great for walking on as one's boots almost stick to it and it's almost impossible to slip on the rock itself. However, The Slab is not gabbro and looked very slippery to Mam. But, on the left side (right in photo) there was some gabbro that looked like it was possible to use as a bypass. That's what we did. But Mam got jelly legs and it was very exposed with small hand and foot holds. I was panicking in the backpack - I knew Mam well enough to know this wasn't normal! She was almost hyper-ventilating! Anyway we almost got to the bottom but then we were too far over to the left (right in photo) and the base of The Slab comprised a 30 - 60cm (1-2 foot) bit of grass with huge drop-off on both sides. Well, she saw a tiny foot-hold and stepped down putting all her weight (plus 9kg backpack with me in it!) on it hoping it would hold - it did and we are still here to tell the tale! Whew! And we were down - pretty shaken but safe. The relief was palpable. Here is a link to a photo (not taken by me). The Slab (external link)

We then came to an insurmountable tower but to cut a long story short - Mam found a bypass eventually and then we were on familiar ground.

This was to be our descent route - the scree from centre down to bottom left. Mam had previously climbed up here so she knew it was safe. Also, we are back on ground that is well-documented and traversed by many climbers and walkers.
https://flic.kr/p/LjLf​5h (external link)Sgurr nan Each with Nifty-7 (external link) by Annie MacDonald (external link), on Flickr

View across to the main Cuillin ridge with clouds above and below us.
https://flic.kr/p/KxdD​SJ (external link)Sgurr nan Each with Nifty-9 (external link) by Annie MacDonald (external link), on Flickr

More to follow ...

Another fantastic story, Annie and the pictures are truly breath-taking. I could feel the clouds :)
Carry on, young lady. Looking forward to more shots from your beautiful country :)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

sponsored links
AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,839 posts
Gallery: 709 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 24, 2016 09:12 |  #10622

Love your TX images, Renata (too many to quote). That's the great thing about this thread - the contrasts and differences that bring us all together. Thanks Joyane for the wonderful idea and the implementation. I'm afraid I just found the thread fairly recently.

Kevin, the murals are fantastic - very urban. Keep them coming.

flickr (external link)

joayne
Cream of the Crop
12,987 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 24, 2016 11:34 |  #10623

itsallart wrote in post #18104244 (external link)
Hey joayne, just wanted to make sure that it's OK with you and whoever else is in charge: there is a number of some interesting events coming up in my area like a balloon festival, some Queen impersonator (not really sure) but sounds interesting and I have a ticket. Then the is the Texas State Fair and a lot of other events that I would like to take Nifty to. My question is: may I keep Nifty to the end of September before I ship it to KbColorado? I work but I'm trying to take Nifty with me as much as I can. Matter of fact we just came back from a little local country drive and have some shots to process which make take a while. Then there are some other places that Nifty HAS to see, like downtown Dallas with its incredible and controversial history. I also have some unusual events at the very beginning of October.
If KbColorado is OK with it, the I should send Nifty to him right after those events :)

I think you should talk it over with kbColorado as Winter is Coming for him. I think he might enjoy shooting some fall images from his area, but I'll leave it between the two of you.

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Please Quote the post to which you are responding.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,451 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 24, 2016 12:11 |  #10624

Wow, so many terrific shots!

Kevin, that is some serious wall art. I loved the ones you posted a while ago and I love these too. The beetle is also brilliant. Pretty creepy too. All great art and your shots of it are wonderful! Must be great to actually see it all in the street. Colours up the place beautifully!

Annie, your landscapes are fantastic and my hat is off to you for climbing all those mountains. I do hope you are being careful though with climbing things like The Slab! But your images sure are worth all that climbing, they're beautiful.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,913 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 24, 2016 19:13 |  #10625

US Nifty here again. I took a little trip to a countryside nearby and here is what I saw: some sweet donkeys ( I think but maybe they were some ponies) that were really attracted to me or maybe Nifty; hard to tell :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Renata
500px (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,913 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 24, 2016 19:15 |  #10626

More of those sweet creatures on this farm

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Renata
500px (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,913 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 24, 2016 19:21 |  #10627

There is no story of any sort, just more images of what I saw. There were some farm houses or homesteads. I don't know. Some of them were surrounded by acres and acres of land, so I imagine that people there were either growing something for a living or maybe supplementing their incomes. The light was wonderful, typical golden hour. I won't be writing a lot because I don't know much about that area. Tomorrow is our big day out that will hopefully yield a lot of images.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Renata
500px (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,913 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 24, 2016 19:23 |  #10628

Again, I just shot whatever I found interesting :) Some decor with a miniature windmill and a piece of some farming equipment dumped in a filed. I don't know what it is.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Renata
500px (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,913 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 24, 2016 19:25 |  #10629

As I drove around those country roads, I stopped for a few shots that I though might reflect the spirit of that area :)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Renata
500px (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,913 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by itsallart.

Aug 24, 2016 19:27 |  #10630

There was a mobile home, a very messy one with who knows what piled up inside...you can see it. Right next to it I saw a neat little country home with black wheels for decoration.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Renata
500px (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,913 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 24, 2016 19:31 |  #10631

As the sun was setting and the light truly glowing, I had to capture the beauty of it. Sometimes there was not much around me to photograph and I had to drive quite a bit and look for some subject that was photogenic enough :) All I could find was a tree and some wild flowers aka weeds :) But I thought they were pretty.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Renata
500px (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,913 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 24, 2016 19:34 |  #10632

The sunset happened too fast and I wanted to get out of that area and drive home. As I approached the outskirts of more densely populated areas, I had to stop for a few shots that may not represent anything spectacular but it was the light that I enjoyed. The second shot was taken out of my car with my camera and Nifty always ready to shoot :)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Renata
500px (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,913 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 24, 2016 19:35 |  #10633

That was the end of my trip and I could only shoot through the windows of my car on my way home :)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Renata
500px (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,913 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by itsallart.

Aug 24, 2016 19:44 |  #10634

I took Nifty to work but almost forgot to take any pictures. Here are some. One of my jobs is to teach watercolor (watercolours for the British, Canadians and Australians). I was doing a demonstration of a special technique called wet into wet while my students were painting a rose and I also demonstrated mixing two and three single pigments into an array of greens :) This is somewhat highly technical since we don't talk about hue (color is the word in art) names but we talk about pigments using their chemical names or numbers which are internationally standardized :)
Here is a transition from a beautiful amber like pigment to one of the blues, called phthalocyanine blue :)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Renata
500px (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,913 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 24, 2016 19:46 |  #10635

And here are the rose paintings of mine I was demonstrating.

HOSTED PHOTO

Right after my class I wanted to take Nifty to a food wonderland where I sometimes shop for exotic ingredients, cheeses and truly unique vegetables but when asked for a permission to photograph inside that insane place, I was told "NO".
So no pictures from that trip :(
More shooting scheduled tomorrow in a wonderful place. Editing may take a while, so please. stay tuned :)

Renata
500px (external link)

sponsored links

2,403,937 views & 5,943 likes for this thread
Where's Nifty?! #2
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.