Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 08 May 2006 (Monday) 18:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where's Nifty?! #2

photorider
620 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 06, 2016 23:59 |  #11296

For some reason after seeing your post Renata, I am hungry and craving a beverage. :)

Further along on our trip, Nifty, Sue and I head further south along this wonderful highway. Just to the south of Canoe Meadows is the dam that was mentioned. The dam creates Barrier lake. This is a popular starting point for a number of hikes as well as a beautiful location to stop for a bite to eat. If you aren't quite ready for the rapids many people like to paddle around the lake as well, enjoying the views that surround the lake.

The lake continues around the corner to the mountain on the left and is quite long. Being so close to the source of it's water the lake has the wonderful blue/green color from all the minerals that are suspended in the water from near by glaciers.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

After a short walk around and a little exploration, back on the road we go. Our next stop is a view made famous(although mostly forgotten now) in 1988. Nakiska is another ski hill, this one was originally opened and created for the 1988 Olympic Winter Games that was hosted in Calgary. At the time The IOC ruled that the venues all had to fall within a certain range, and all of the suitable existing ski areas were to far from Calgary to be included. Thus the creation of Nakiska. All of the major ski events were held at this hill and although the Olympics are long gone(not forgotten though as is evident in the release of a movie in 2016 about one of the atheletes competing in those games) the ski hill still thrives as a popular destination for local families.

HOSTED PHOTO

Trever Canon 7D, 24-70 F2.8L ii, Sigma 10-20 1:4-5.6 DC HSM, and a bunch of other little stuff to make light sorta work. Deviant (external link)

sponsored links
photorider
620 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 07, 2016 00:15 |  #11297

Nifty had some trouble with capturing these big landscapes, but powered through as I shot away to put together the wonderful Panos. Whoever says you can't shoot landscapes with a 50mm lens need to by bigger memory cards and a faster computer.

I had the pleasure of teaching skiing at Nakiska for a few years. Although it is not the most challenging terrain or does it receive vast amounts of snow, the trail crews do an amazing job of making snow and grooming the runs. I am sure in a few short weeks these mountains will start to become covered in snow, a dramatic change in the look will give the slopes the definition that I grew up to love. There truly is nothing that I have experienced that is more breathtaking or makes you appreciate life more than standing atop a mountain on a clear winter day looking over the peaks that are frosted with snow.

HOSTED PHOTO

Trever Canon 7D, 24-70 F2.8L ii, Sigma 10-20 1:4-5.6 DC HSM, and a bunch of other little stuff to make light sorta work. Deviant (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,410 posts
Gallery: 317 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 07, 2016 05:18 |  #11298

Renata, nice shots! Including the ones in the restaurant. Downsized like this, shots will have to be really, seriously bad to actually look bad. Love that t-shirt!
And good to hear that your husband is doing better!

Trever, those are great panos. What majestic landscape that is. And it's really nice to learn that a ski hill that was created for the Olympics, is actually still used by the locals. More often than not things built for the Olympics are deserted once the Games are over and never used by the locals, so this is great.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

photorider
620 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 07, 2016 20:51 |  #11299

Thanks Levina. I am happy to say that almost all of the facilities that were made for the '88 Olympics are still in use. I will take Nifty to a few of them on another trip as most of the rest are in Calgary. For now though, Nifty got to see some more of the Canadian Rockies.

Next stop was this cute little pond that is just off the highway near Mt. Kidd. At the base of this mountain is a very nice RV park. It is always busy during the summer and even into the fall, filled with trailers and RVs. The facilities are great with power, water at the sites and even WiFi in the campground. Plus you get an amazing view of Mt Kidd(on the right of the photo). Wedge pond is on the opposite side of the Valley and has lots of tables to enjoy an nice little lunch or dinner while fishing in this quiet little stocked pond.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

photorider
620 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 07, 2016 21:24 |  #11300

There were quite a few people wondering around the lake, many with dogs. Both my wife and I are dog people and we found this little guy to be just to cute not to capture.

HOSTED PHOTO

He looked like a cute little Husky puppy. But the owners informed us that he wasn't a puppy but a cross breed called a Pomsky. A Pomeranian mixed with a Husky. Not sure who convinced a Pom and a Husky to mate.... but they made one heck of a cute dog.

Growing up in these hills I have many fond memories. In my teens I spent many winter weekends driving out to a ski hill that was up this highway called Fortress Mountain. It boasted some of the best natural snow in the area and had some great runs set up for freestyle skiing. Sadly the area was left to decay by the owner and eventually had to close. It has tried to open numerous times but again, bad management led to it's demise. In 2013 flooding in this valley put the final nail in the coffin for the ski resort as the bridge that allowed access to the hill was washed out. Now just remnants of the area remain. But the view of the mountains surrounding it are still there.

HOSTED PHOTO

The ski area is up the cutline to the far right of this photo,(a composite of around 70 shots)

photorider
620 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 07, 2016 21:26 |  #11301

To give you an idea, this is one of the frames making up the whole photo. :)

My computer is working really hard to make these shots come to life and I am really happy with how they are turning out.

HOSTED PHOTO

joayne
Cream of the Crop
12,937 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by joayne.

Oct 08, 2016 12:15 |  #11302

Nifty is working hard to show off the magnificent scenery of the Canadian Mountains and lakes!
..And so are you Trever.

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Please Quote the post to which you are responding.

hawaiiboy
Goldmember
1,909 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 08, 2016 14:46 |  #11303

Very nice shots Trever. Love the pano's. I really enjoyed the couple of times that
I skied Nakiska. I remember when I first moved to Calgary in the early 8os and
we would drive out to the mountains always seeing Fortress and wondering if
it would ever be a viable ski area again.

https://www.flickr.com​/gp/hawaiiboy/6V74P7 (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/hawaiiboy59/ (external link)
Kevin

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,752 posts
Gallery: 677 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 08, 2016 14:51 |  #11304

Beautiful panoramas. Trever. How many images were used in the one above? You live in a beautiful area.

ENifty was out in the hills today and probably again tomorrow as the forecast is good, so he'll post some photos at the beginning of the week.

Renata, I hope your husband is improving and you are not too stressed. Please keep us posted.

flickr (external link)

lavanut
Goldmember
2,493 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 09, 2016 10:30 |  #11305

photorider wrote in post #18151237 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by photorider in
./showthread.php?p=181​51237&i=i135893397
forum: Member Activities

The ski area is up the cutline to the far right of this photo,(a composite of around 70 shots)

Nice pano, Trever. You should post that in the Panoramas thread.

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,733 posts
Gallery: 916 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Oct 09, 2016 11:38 as a reply to  @ photorider's post |  #11306

Beautiful panos, Trever.

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,733 posts
Gallery: 916 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Oct 09, 2016 11:40 as a reply to  @ AnnieMacD's post |  #11307

Thank you, Annie.
Unfortunately my husband's condition is deteriorating rapidly. The entire family is with me. Will keep you posted.

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

lavanut
Goldmember
2,493 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 09, 2016 12:51 as a reply to  @ itsallart's post |  #11308

Oh no, I'm so sorry Renata. My thoughts & prayers are with you & your family.

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

photorider
620 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 09, 2016 13:01 |  #11309

Thank you Renata. I am so sorry about your husband. I am glad your family is with you to give you support. Our best thoughts are with you.

hawaiiboy
Goldmember
1,909 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 09, 2016 14:31 |  #11310

Renata, my wife and I are so sorry. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

https://www.flickr.com​/gp/hawaiiboy/6V74P7 (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/hawaiiboy59/ (external link)
Kevin

sponsored links

2,213,978 views & 5,857 likes for this thread
Where's Nifty?! #2
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.