Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 May 2006 (Friday) 20:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ZoomBrowser EX ver 5.6 Menu Bar

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

May 26, 2006 20:36 |  #1

Just updated from ZoomBrowser EX 5.0 to ZoomBrowser EX 5.6

The Help file (Surprise: I can access it pressing F1) instructs to go to the Tools Menu in order to change Preferences.

Guess what: My new Zoombrowser EX 5.6 does not have a Menu Bar :evil: (no surprise at all).

Some of you updated to ver. 5.6 ?
Does your program have a menu bar?

If some of you found how to display the Menu Bar please let me know what to do.

Thanks

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
andrewaaa5
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined Sep 2004

May 27, 2006 02:18 |  #2

rpolitsr wrote:
Just updated from ZoomBrowser EX 5.0 to ZoomBrowser EX 5.6

The Help file (Surprise: I can access it pressing F1) instructs to go to the Tools Menu in order to change Preferences.

Guess what: My new Zoombrowser EX 5.6 does not have a Menu Bar :evil: (no surprise at all).

Some of you updated to ver. 5.6 ?
Does your program have a menu bar?

If some of you found how to display the Menu Bar please let me know what to do.

Thanks

MAC or PC ?

I went from v5.1 > v5.6 recently on PC with OS Windows XP without this issue. My Menu was visible after upgrade. The exact version that I downloaded was 5.6.0.27

If your default language is not English in the OS or Zoom Browser (ZB) the below tips may not work, without changing the 'keys' that I mentioned to the relevant for, say, Spannish, which I think is the main language in Ecuador.

So, if a PC, press Alt + T together (This is normally the shortcut to Tools if English is the OS / ZB language), and then press 'P'. You should be able to get to Preferences that way. But this is NOT an ideal solution if it does work. I could not find an option to turn on and off the menu bar, so I have no idea why yours would not display. Perhaps you may like to re-install ZB?

Try pressing ALT + Spacebar together. Does it show the little menu in the top Left to 'Close', 'Minimize', 'Restore', 'Move' etc? Try pressing 'M' which is the option to 'Move' and then use the arrow/cursor keys to move the program up and down (it could be that the menu is off the top of the screen perhaps?) and needs to be moved down a little bit in order to see it.

I did go into the registry and hunt a little bit, and seen a few entries for Menus, but this is not an ideal solution to start messing with these. Perhaps a simple reinstall of ZB is better.

If it is a MAC, I have no idea.

andrew crighton
website -- > www.butterpeanut.com (external link)
flickr -- > flickr/photos/andrewaa​a5 (external link)

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 27, 2006 11:00 |  #3

Thanks for answering, andrewaaa5.

My computer is a Dell Dimension running Windows XP Professional.
Although Spanish is the default language for my XP, it never was an issue with well designed programs, but ZoomBrowser EX exhibited weird behavior from the very beginning (ver 4.6 was supplied with my Pro1).

The Menu shortcuts like Alt + T produced an error beep in this new version, but they worked in ver. 4.6 and probably also worked in ver. 5.0.

Alt + Spacebar and the keys for Move, Size, Minimize, Maximize and Close work fine, and some of them are different than their English equivalents in the Spanish XP.

After your tips, I concluded that the lack of menu bar is an installation problem.

I already executed the update program a second time with no changes.

Now, I will follow your advice and will uninstall Zoombrowser to re-start from ver. 4.6 that I have on CD. I fear that uninstalling it will have some new weird effects though. It is a shame that a huge enterprise as Canon can not integrate its software with Microsoft OS as other serious software developers do.

As I do not understand the Registry organization, messing with the registry keys is a last and desperate option in my computer.

I will wait your findings, though.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.

andrewaaa5
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined Sep 2004

May 27, 2006 11:32 |  #4

sorry, i really do not want to play with the registry or advise to do so also : (( i do not want to give any options here as it may corrupt the OS.

i think you should post this message regarding the 'spannish OS' and it's compatibility with new version of ZB to another part of the forum which may have more people in the same boat. Maybe 'General Chat' section?

andrew crighton
website -- > www.butterpeanut.com (external link)
flickr -- > flickr/photos/andrewaa​a5 (external link)

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 27, 2006 11:41 |  #5

Done.
Apparently uninstall did a clean work.
Ver. 4.6 installed successfully, with an operative Menu Bar :) Shortcuts worked as in other windows based programs.

Immediately I ran the 5.6 update. This time, the Menu Bar was there and the program seems to work fine.

I hope there are no other Canon surprises hidden thereā€¦

Thank you again andrewaaa5

Edit:
Sorry I posted without reading your second post.
Do not worry, I always follow with interest what people do with the registry although it is a restricted area in my computer.

It seems there is no language incompatibility, just something went wrong in the first update process.

rafael

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 30, 2006 05:42 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #6

I managed to download the ZoomBrowser succesfully via a link given on one of the threads on the forums. Now I want to update FileViewer & can't find the thread giving the link!
Can you help?
many thanks

Gear List

Sangfroid
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2006

May 31, 2006 10:24 |  #7

Hi!

Could you give me a link to the 5.6 update? Is this a free download for upgrades from v4.5 onwards? I am hoping to get the features back from the OS 98 setup.

Cheers.

[Alice falls down the rabbit hole and her dress poofs up like a parachute]. "Alice: Well, after this I should think nothing of falling down stairs."~Lewis Carroll

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 31, 2006 11:00 |  #8

Try the Canon USA PowerShot site (external link) (page is for the G6; don't worry about that) and click on "Drivers/Software". You need to have pop-up blocking disabled at least for that site, as the software lists open in a new window.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links

4,128 views & 0 likes for this thread
ZoomBrowser EX ver 5.6 Menu Bar
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.