Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 May 2006 (Tuesday) 21:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Baby Photography

figo
699 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 30, 2006 21:31 |  #1

Hello everyone,
My wife just gave birth to our first child and I really want to learn how to take great baby pictures. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for me?

I'm using a Digital Rebel, 17-40mm canon lens, 70-200 canon.

Canon 1D MKIV, 1D MKIII, Canon 70-200 f2.8, Canon 400 f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8.

sponsored links
Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor
9,860 posts
Joined Jan 2003

May 31, 2006 09:07 |  #2

Figo,

First of all, congratulations on your new family member!!!

I don't have many tips ... but you might look at some good examples for baby pictures to get your own ideas.

One source of my inspiration in that respect is always http://www.annsnelson.​com/ (external link), the website of fellow forum member *momofairforcebrats*.

Be sure to check out her works!

Best regards,
Andy

some cameras, some lenses,
and still a lot of things to learn...
(so post processing examples on my images are welcome :D)
If you like the forum, vote for it where it really counts!
CLICK here for the EOS FAQ
CLICK here for the Post Processing FAQ
CLICK here to understand a bit more about BOKEH

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 31, 2006 09:11 |  #3

Congrats!!! My best advice is get a 50 1.8 or 1.4 for the lowlight. I wouldn`t want you blind your baby with a 580EX or any other lights for that matter. The best thing is to shoot over and over. Babys are just so hard to photograph. catching those right moments, etc. When they get a bit older, it becomes easier. My daughter is now 8months old, and much more easier, and fun to photograph. there are several people here who produced amazing photographs of newborns, hopefully they can give you the advice you seek. Congrats again!

-Andy-

PhotosGuy
75,885 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

May 31, 2006 12:03 |  #4

I'd put the baby on a table, & use a tripod with the lens set a bit wide so you can concentrate on the baby. Shoot at its eye level, of course.
If he/she isn't old enough to sit up, I'd roll a pillow lengthwise, put a blanket over it, & lay the baby with it's head & shoulders on the rolled pillow. Fold it's hands under it's chin instead of letting them flop around at it's side. Even a very young baby can raise it's head up at least once, so be ready! If it doesn't raise it's head on it's own, try gently blowing into it's face.
Foam pillows are a PITA, so I'd avoid them.

Just sliding the baby/blanket/pillow "assembly" around will give some right & left angle views.
Shoot fast, shoot lots, before it decides that it doesn't like what's going on! Then shoot some more. :D
The lighting was very simple, one strobe right next to the camera & one on the background.

Decades ago I shot a lot of these while waiting for a job as an assistant to open up. I don't have any of the images, but Seona (mercersmoments) has some similar ones posted here:
https://photography-on-the.net …?p=11539547&pos​tcount=201

Link from:
Ask me what you want.

Over 100 of the Best Newborn Baby Photography Tutorials & How-To Tips From Around the Web (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

rdsmith3
690 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 31, 2006 13:08 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #5

Congratulations! We had one on 4/18.

The above advice is good. I bought a 50 mm f/1.8 lens. It is relatively inexpensive and allows you to shoot in low light situations.

Some things I have done, with varying degrees of success, are:

- put a neutral colored blanket on our bed and put him on that. put camera on tripod and put camera in continuous drive mode (multiple pictures). also, prop him on pillow that is under blanket for some variety

- take picture of first bath

- take pictures of grandparents holding him

- prop him on bean bag chair

- take pictures of hands and feet

There are some very talented photographers of babies around her. Check out the People forum.

Bob Gear List

The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness! (Matt. 6:22-23)

whchan
225 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 31, 2006 13:55 |  #6

Congrats on your new addition. 50/f1.8 is my most used lens before my daughter learned how to walk, great for indoor and low light situation. However, I always used an external flash, bounding off the wall/ceiling. Your 70-200 would be perfect when your "baby" starts walking/running outside.

saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 31, 2006 14:13 |  #7

don't wait for your little one to be awake and looking at you to take a picture... newborns are a little funny about the times they want to be awake... shoot at their eye level and don't forget the close-ups of feet, hands bottom etc... they only stay that tiny for about a minute and a half.. so you gotta have a picture to remember... by the way, congratulations...

sari

Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

figo
THREAD ­ STARTER
699 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 01, 2006 01:59 as a reply to  @ saravrose's post |  #8

thanks for the great advice. I went out and bought a 1.8 50mm lens. Works great. Here is a pic of her first bath.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 1D MKIV, 1D MKIII, Canon 70-200 f2.8, Canon 400 f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,181 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jun 01, 2006 02:33 |  #9

priceless... :-) (my better half due in Oct...)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Nidz
Goldmember
2,408 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 01, 2006 03:37 as a reply to  @ joeseph's post |  #10

joeseph wrote:
priceless... :-) (my better half due in Oct...)

Likewise.. :P

There will be a whole bunch of new pics around that time.. hehe

Good stuff on your new baby and lens. I might buy myself one of them.. I keep looking at them cause they are so cheap then I lok at the L lense and think maybe i could save up for the big one.. hehe..

Stop or I'll Shoot!
10 Years on POTN Forums!
Canon 350D | 70-200f/4L | ef35-105mm | ef100-300mm | 50mm f1.8 etc..
Some of my Photos (external link)

Krapo
Goldmember
1,018 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 01, 2006 03:46 |  #11

So cute picture and very good advices!

I have the 50mm, I just need to start the baby process... :)

Fran├žois
---
40D + grip, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 24-70 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 580 EX II
www.casualvision.com (external link)

digitalmax
63 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 01, 2006 07:52 as a reply to  @ Krapo's post |  #12

I find that I just shoot where ever and as much as possible. I don't do too much posing of my little one. She is very particular about how she likes to lay. I probably get one good picture out of about 10-15 shots. She is still only 3 months old and chooses her moods on her schedule.

Take all kinds of shots. But I can make one other suggestion. I know this is a still picture forum, but take plenty of video of your new addition. I have started to do this and I love even looking back at the video from only last month to see the changes in her movement etc... And I know I will love to see the video later in life and will show her how little she used to be.

PhotosGuy
75,885 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 01, 2006 08:29 |  #13

...one other suggestion

Get lots of blackmail shots for when they're in their teens, too!

IMAGE: http://photo.klein-jensen.dk/smilies/0456.gif

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

rdsmith3
690 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 01, 2006 08:51 as a reply to  @ figo's post |  #14

figo wrote:
thanks for the great advice. I went out and bought a 1.8 50mm lens. Works great. Here is a pic of her first bath.

She is enjoying it as much as my son did! ha ha

The video suggestion is a good one. I let my wife do that. I am not good at video (e.g. I have turned the camera to portrait orientation so many times).

Even things like the first time you clip her fingernails can be photo opportunities. Remember that the photos are for you and your family, not for impressing others. I recently took a shot of my little guy sleeping on top of my wife. I took it at ISO 3200 because the sun was just coming up and the shades were drawn. It is a grainy picture with a distracting background, but I love it. It is technically a poor photo, but I love it. He looks so peaceful in it.

Bob Gear List

The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness! (Matt. 6:22-23)

Thornfield
747 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 01, 2006 16:49 as a reply to  @ rdsmith3's post |  #15

rdsmith3 wrote:
Even things like the first time you clip her fingernails can be photo opportunities

hahaha I call it her little razor blaces. If I don't clip her nails every three days she cuts my face to shreds.

Baby pics are hard....you basicaly have to shoot lots of frames. Edit like crazy....then again. If it's only for record shots who cares.

Relationships are like photography, it has to click. :)

sponsored links

3,784 views & 0 likes for this thread
Baby Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.