Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Jun 2006 (Monday) 11:05
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How many leave their flash attached to cam"
Always
13%
Never
48.1%
only when going to shoot indoors
35.1%
Only when going to shoot outdoors
3.9%

77 voters, 77 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many of you leave your flash on cam?

Keiffer
Goldmember
2,259 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 05, 2006 11:05 |  #1

Hey guys, was just curious how many of you leave your external flash on your cam. I think it would be a good idea I just find it to be cumbersome. What's your take on this?

http://kcschoeppler.fo​topic.net (external link)

sponsored links
liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 05, 2006 11:21 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

If I have an extended assignment, such as a graduation ceremony or a wedding, I leave the flash on the camera. Otherwise, it goes in the bag in it's pouch.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 05, 2006 12:22 as a reply to  @ liza's post |  #3

Well I just got my flash last week so take this with a grain of salt, but I have left it on the camera whenever the camera is out of the bag. When the camera goes back in the bag it comes off.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

jfrancho
Cream of the Crop
6,341 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 05, 2006 12:39 |  #4

I use a real compact bracket, so I'll leave the frame on the camera, but keep the flash in my back pocket or camera bag until I need it. So I guess I leave the off camera cord on most of the time. The only time I don't use the bracket is when I'm at live events, and then I use the battery grip. For the very few flash pictures I take, I hand hold the flash off the camera, so it doesn't stay attached for long.

kevin_c
Cream of the Crop
5,745 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 05, 2006 13:13 |  #5

Only when I'm going to use it, indoors or out - Can't see the point otherwise ???

-- K e v i n --

Nikon D700, 17-35mm, 28-105mm, 70-200mmVR, 50mm f/1.4
Canon EOS 3, 24-105L, 135L

stk
29 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 05, 2006 13:19 |  #6

To put it simply: everytime I don't have a lightstand around, or don't have the time or the space to set up my light properly. /edit: apparently I misunderstood the OP - I leave the flash "out of the bag", if I feel like I might use it ;)

Keiffer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,259 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 05, 2006 13:23 |  #7

I should have made it clear that I'm talking about when your going to use it, not storing it in a bag or such. Like when you go shooting whether it be for a job or just going out walking around, do you normally have your flash attached to your cam? The reason I'm asking as we all know, we run into those times even when the sun is blazing that theres a shot you want to get and the shadows mess it up. Someone like Schmozel, his shots are always perfect of Julia. I often wondered if he and you guys normally just have it always on cam for those shots you just don't want to leave to luck of the light so to speak.

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 05, 2006 13:39 as a reply to  @ Keiffer's post |  #8

Keiffer wrote:
I should have made it clear that I'm talking about when your going to use it, not storing it in a bag or such. Like when you go shooting whether it be for a job or just going out walking around, do you normally have your flash attached to your cam? The reason I'm asking as we all know, we run into those times even when the sun is blazing that theres a shot you want to get and the shadows mess it up. Someone like Schmozel, his shots are always perfect of Julia. I often wondered if he and you guys normally just have it always on cam for those shots you just don't want to leave to luck of the light so to speak.

His shots and others like it are the reason I bought my flash. I always had the thought of "It is daylight outside so I don't need a flash." Take a few shots without one and you soon realize how wrong you are. Now I just have to figure out how to use it.:D

Keiffer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,259 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 05, 2006 13:50 as a reply to  @ In2Photos's post |  #9

In2Photos wrote:
His shots and others like it are the reason I bought my flash. I always had the thought of "It is daylight outside so I don't need a flash." Take a few shots without one and you soon realize how wrong you are. Now I just have to figure out how to use it.:D

Same here:-) And I totally agree, even though it's daylight out those pesky shadows always pop into a shot. I think with me it's because my brain has programed to see through them but in a printed shot.....they look like ****

jfrancho
Cream of the Crop
6,341 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 05, 2006 14:26 |  #10

I use more flash outdoors than indoors. The interesting thing is, unless you know what to look for, the casual veiwer can't see that it's a flashed shot.

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 05, 2006 14:46 as a reply to  @ jfrancho's post |  #11

jfrancho wrote:
I use more flash outdoors than indoors. The interesting thing is, unless you know what to look for, the casual veiwer can't see that it's a flashed shot.

Very true. A co-worker of mine was looking at some shots from her son's wedding and I asked her if the photographer (in this case they were just shots her other son took and he is not a pro) used a flash. She said she didn't know and asked why. Without flash the background would have been completely blown out to expose for the subjects, but these were pretty good.

steved110
Cream of the Crop
5,776 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 05, 2006 14:49 as a reply to  @ In2Photos's post |  #12

I wouldn't have the flash on the camera unless I felt I was going to need it. but I do like to have it in the bag.
Having said that, fill-in flash outdoors is great for lifting backlit subjects and removing harsh shadows from faces, and every time I use it outdoors I wonder why I don't do it more often.
But the whole set up is top heavy and cumbersome, especially with a good (heavy!) lens parked on-camera!

Canon 6D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 , Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L Canon EF 24-70 f/4 IS L and 70-200 f/4 L :D
Speedlite 580EX and some bags'n pods'n stuff

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 05, 2006 14:53 |  #13

It's in the bag; it's on the bracket when I expect to use it.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post
3,908 posts
Joined Sep 2002

Jun 05, 2006 15:20 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #14

Since I travel with my camera usually in a LowePro backpack the flash can't stay attached. Also, when going very light weight the flash stays at home. If I know I will be shooting indoors then I load the flash onto the camera. But when shooting on location, my backpack is usually close enough I can add flash quickly if needed so it usually doesn't come out unless I need it.

So I had to answer only if I know I will be shooting indoors.

I should point out I have an 85/1.2L and usually shoot in a studio with strobes, so it is very rare I actually "need" flash

"Save the model, Save the camera, The Photographer can be repaired"
www.longwatcher.com (external link)
1DsMkIII as primary camera with f2.8L zooms and the 85L
http://www.longwatcher​.com/photoequipment.ht​m (external link)

ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
6,484 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Location: Puyallup -- Don't worry. Nobody else can pronounce it either.

Jun 05, 2006 15:53 as a reply to  @ Longwatcher's post |  #15

My response is probably skewed because I haven't had my 580 long, so it's still a new toy, but I use my flash much more often than I thought I would. It's been very helpful outdoors for fill.

While it's not always on the camera, I do find myself getting the flash ready whenever I think there's a chance I could be using it in the near future, rather than pausing to install the flash when I find that I'll need to use it right away.

-David
"David raises a good point. . ." -- CDS
"Once again, David Raises a good point! :lol:" The Wise and Powerful CDS
Gear List | Proof I Use The Gear In My Gear List (not necessarily proof I use it well) (external link)

sponsored links

4,194 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many of you leave your flash on cam?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.